Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a highly portable 2-4 player game with a footprint small enough to be playable on a hotel room bed, but with some strategic depth. Both Valley of the Kings and VotK:Afterlife seem to fit the bill, but are there any significant differences which should influence my choice between them?

In his video review of Afterlife, Tom Vasel suggests that Afterlife has fewer cards that are negative to your opponent, which would be better for playing with my wife who dislikes direct conflict in a game. On the other hand, hanibalicious's excellent review says that the Afterlife cards "are much more interactive ... and they have a lot more considerations re:other players" - so I'm confused...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both opinions are correct. The base game has a lot of cards that force your opponent to discard and one card that allows you to steal something out of someone's deck, so the interaction is what you would typically call "negative". Afterlife has this less often, but it has cards that allow other players to draw when you do a certain action, abilities that give both you and another player a card, or cards that trigger affects for all players, not just the person who played the card.

IMHO, Afterlife is probably slightly more complex mechanics wise. Its probably easier to start with VotK and then move up to Afterlife, but I wouldn't say its necessary. The strategy in VotK is basically acquire and entomb. I don't want to make the game sound simple, but the card abilities don't let you explore other strategies. Afterlife has abilities that allow you to manipulate cards in the tomb and in the boneyard. A carefully crafted Afterlife deck can help you acquire cards with almost no cost and "fix" having duplicates in your deck, but it takes a bit longer to figure out how to make these combos work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you davypi for your helpful response!

Given both the complexity (we're fairly experienced gamers) and the nature of interaction you describe, I think I'll go for Afterlife in the first instance and then (assuming we like the game) consider VotK as an expansion to extend replayability.

It feels a bit analogous to starting Dominion with Intrigue and then adding on the base game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI there a third, stand alone VotK game due out around Sep 2016 called Valley of the Kings: Last Rites.
More info at https://www.alderac.com/valleyofthekings/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pap Qaq
United States
Scarsdale
New York
flag msg tools
davypi wrote:
IMHO, Afterlife is probably slightly more complex mechanics wise. Its probably easier to start with VotK and then move up to Afterlife, but I wouldn't say its necessary. The strategy in VotK is basically acquire and entomb. I don't want to make the game sound simple, but the card abilities don't let you explore other strategies. Afterlife has abilities that allow you to manipulate cards in the tomb and in the boneyard. A carefully crafted Afterlife deck can help you acquire cards with almost no cost and "fix" having duplicates in your deck, but it takes a bit longer to figure out how to make these combos work.

I started with Afterlife and it was very easy to pick up. As stated, the game is basically acquire and entomb. There are a variety of card powers but there isn't the type of synergy you see in dominion or other true deck builders. This is more of a tactical game where you trash your starter cards and maximize your ability to acquire at the beginning of the game and then maximize your ability to entomb at the end. You should be entombing constantly throughout the game as this drives both scoring and improves your deck mix.

Still a nice fun game. Not much to think about so easy to break out and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.