Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a once through reading of the rules and perhaps I missed it someplace but can't find it.

The rules state you have 3 Diplomacy markers to spend. Where do you spend them? And can you ever gain more markers? Since I haven't looked at any of the cards yet, perhaps the answer lies within there.

Anyway, as I mention, I don't know who the marker actually goes to or how to get more.

Need you experts to give me some guidance here!!

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
They only to the box, and are thus out of the game. I don't think you can get more. That being said, I always play with fully open negotiation and don't use those tokens. There is a variant in the back of the rule book for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I was surprised I didn't see this question asked previously, unless the subject line wasn't descriptive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Howe
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really prefer to use the 3 tokens as this adds some more decision making to the game in that you should really want/need the deal with the player on the opposite side of the negotiation. Spend then frivolously and you may be in for a late game surprise when you can no longer ask for help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krakauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Osprey wrote:
I just finished a once through reading of the rules and perhaps I missed it someplace but can't find it.

The rules state you have 3 Diplomacy markers to spend. Where do you spend them? And can you ever gain more markers? Since I haven't looked at any of the cards yet, perhaps the answer lies within there.

Anyway, as I mention, I don't know who the marker actually goes to or how to get more.

Need you experts to give me some guidance here!!

Thanks in advance!

You distribute 3 diplo markers per player at the start of the game.

Players need to spend one diplomacy marker in trade that involves either cards or money exchanges or both. For example A gives B a Secret Passage card in exchange for 3 Deniers. B spends a diplomacy token.
In the example above either A or B could be spending the diplo token, it doesn't matter as long as one is spent. The max amount of money that can be exchanged in a single transaction is 3 deniers.

Another reason to spend a diplo token is to have a 3 minutes long private meeting away from the table with another player.

Finally another reason is when a Lord gives control of a Relic to another Lord (even belonging to the same player).

Once a player has finished his diplo markers he simply cannot do the above trades anymore, unless he manages to convince the other player to chip in the marker for the trade.

As mentioned, you can just allow free trading and forget about the Diplo marker altogether. In my experience that doesn't really make the game much longer, although I never played with experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are good about when you need to spend one, they just don't say where the spent tokens go. Out of the game? To the other person? That was my main issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
You just put them back in the game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've decided to make money exchange free of charge with regards to diplo tokens
The players are a bit more incentivized to bribe and exchange favors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Kamusella
Poland
Kedzierzyn-Kozle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use them so chosen player is forced to do secret negotitation that last fixed amount of time (2-3 min).
Pros of this is that if someone is in alliance and go away for secret meeting with someone else, his partner became suspicious. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallensteinwojtek wrote:
I use them so chosen player is forced to do secret negotitation that last fixed amount of time (2-3 min).
Pros of this is that if someone is in alliance and go away for secret meeting with someone else, his partner became suspicious. devil

wait wait! I like what I read... please elaborate on that a bit more...

wait nevermind I got that now and I like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I always assumed that's how it's supposed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.