Oh My Goods!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Phase 1 card recycling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco yeye
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played it wrong from the beginning but it felt a little less luck-dependent and more Euro.
Allow players to exchange any number of cards from their hand, not all of them. In this way you can actually plan something more. Give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He already added a card dump mechanism to the latest edition rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoiSe42 wrote:
I played it wrong from the beginning but it felt a little less luck-dependent and more Euro.
Allow players to exchange any number of cards from their hand, not all of them. In this way you can actually plan something more. Give it a try!

The designer has stated here that he doesn't like this idea. Not saying you shouldn't, but there are reasons it may not work best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
grithog wrote:
NoiSe42 wrote:

The designer has stated here that he doesn't like this idea. Not saying you shouldn't, but there are reasons it may not work best.

I've also suggested exactly Marco's variant, not knowing he mentioned it in this thread. Like Marco, I think this game has too much luck, even for a card game, for euro players looking for a building game. This variant is a minimal change to the rules and actually works pretty well to help you get set up in the early game, yet there's still plenty of luck and press-your-luck decisions to be had for those who need randomness. I'd suggest that you try it and see for yourself if it improves or detreacts from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A different approach would be to allow a partial mulligan (discard and re-draw any number of cards) at the start of the game. That would help with the first-round early jumpstart. Then, for the rest of the rounds, apply the official "discard all or none" rule.

Not that I would want to play it that way, since I prefer the official rules. Just throwing it out there as yet another option, which might address the early-game issue for some people, but without changing the rest of the game for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.