Subject: Do public deals for information have to be truthful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, I publicly pay a player for info on a Traitor card of mine they saw during setup. Do they have to tell the truth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
For example, I publicly pay a player for info on a Traitor card of mine they saw during setup. Do they have to tell the truth?

Yes.

XIII.C Bribery wrote:
Players can make any kind of verbal deals or bribes between
one another. Once made, these deals and bribes must be
stated aloud and must be honored. A player cannot renege on
a deal or bribe. Spice can be part of the bribe or deal.

Family honor in the Dune universe is very important, and all deals must be honored as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, say a player pays Atreides for information about Treachery card(s). Does that information have to be stated publicly? Can it be given in secret as part of a public deal? And if so, since it is secret, does it then have to be truthful? May Atreides actually show Treachery card(s) to one or more players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players have to abide by the publicly agreed upon terms of the deal.
If a deal includes the stipulation that Player A will honestly reveal a safe leader to Player B, then Player A must honestly reveal a safe leader to Player B. Player A may do this in a private discussion if the players wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
So, say a player pays Atreides for information about Treachery card(s). Does that information have to be stated publicly? Can it be given in secret as part of a public deal? And if so, since it is secret, does it then have to be truthful? May Atreides actually show Treachery card(s) to one or more players?

It must be truthful. The rules do not exclude secrecy, our table allows it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully agree with both Shawn and Aaron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
ekted wrote:

It has to be stated publicly unless the players are allied. The reason is that the rules for Alliances specify that allies can speak in private (XII.E.2.). That rule would have no meaning if non-allies can also speak in private.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
vonklaude wrote:
CyberGarp wrote:
ekted wrote:

It has to be stated publicly unless the players are allied. The reason is that the rules for Alliances specify that allies can speak in private (XII.E.2.). That rule would have no meaning if non-allies can also speak in private.

This is how i thought the rules were, but in some games i have had people getting rather upset because they were convinced they could trade information secretly with anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vonklaude makes a good point as to the rule being implicit.

However, there's no call to get upset. There's always table or house rules. You don't like them, find another table.

It's almost never come up in the 100+ games I've played. No one wants to trade or sell anything unless they are allied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually usually have TONS of negotiations and agreements between non-allies.

Common examples include:
* Pay spice for card info
* Pay spice for safe leader info
* Share spice from spice blows to avoid fighting each other over it
* Blocking of strongholds with arranged battle results
* "Rebate" of shipping or card costs in exchange for other favors
* etc, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I now know what I must do--Start making some deals next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
We actually usually have TONS of negotiations and agreements between non-allies.

Common examples include:
* etc, etc

Discussions between non-allies that everyone can hear are fine, I believe. The Alliance rules only forestall private communication between non-allies. Also stressing that as usual I'm speaking from the point of view of the original, unmodified RAW and not making any claim about fun or balance. Under the Bribery rules, non-allies can make deals. Which I would say must be made in the open as XIII.C. would seem to confirm. Possibly RAW does not permit even allies to make binding Bribery deals secretly because presumably the point of the words "out loud" must be to preclude doing so in a forest where no one can hear, but allies can certainly work out their intended terms secretly and exchange information about the game while doing that. Since those things would form strategy.

As you know (and as Kittredge specified in his answers to the FAQ) I believe that the Bribery rules do not provide a mechanism for exchanging spice. However, all of your examples can be achieved through agreements making use of the Alliance rules and/or harmonious positioning. For example I can make a binding deal out loud with a non-ally to yield a spice blow or pay for something at a future time when we are allied. With allies, I can agree to pay for certain things directly in exchange for whatever favour I am chasing.

That said, I'm conscious that many people ignore that and play that contrary to what I think, Bribery does cover exchanging spice... and nothing bad happens to their game! (Other than that they have no explanation of the purpose of the Emperor's alliance advantage or Alliance rules such as XII.E.3 which become empty of meaning.) Note that I also accept your point (in an earlier discussion) that the AH designers added things that contradict the original designers' intentions. However, I believe that a concordant set of rules arises from the RAW provided that, that one line about "Spice can be part of the bribe or deal" be read to agree with Kittredge's FAQ answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
tempus42 wrote:

Common examples include:
* etc, etc

The more times we play as a group the more strategy we find in each factions traits. But at the same time the bigger the gap between an experienced player and a new player becomes. This has cuased new players to really feel helpless in a game of dune especially when they dont quite understand their faction or they simply arent the "screw you over" type of player. Also grudges can be an issue, in Dune people do screw each other over all the time and some players take it a little to personally which usually results in their own downfall as they try to get even.

At first we found Harkonnen to be just to strong early game, but learning how to play atreides and take advantage of selling information has reduced that gap between the 2 factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nunuyerbiznez
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XIII.C Bribery wrote:
Players can make any kind of verbal deals or bribes between
one another. Once made, these deals and bribes must be
stated aloud and must be honored. A player cannot renege on
a deal or bribe. Spice can be part of the bribe or deal.

The way I read this is that the deal must be public, but any information transferred need not be. I mean, why would I pay for information to be made public (yeah, there are circumstances where that would be a good deal).

Maybe that is just me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.