Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: playing solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danutzek danutzek
Romania
flag msg tools
Hello !

Can you please tell me if this game is fun if you are playing it solo? Is it hard to control all the 6 characters all by yourself? Would you still buy this game if most of your plays are solo?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

Solo is great!

You can control all 6. If that's too much to start, play with 4 and remove one of the zombie spawn points.

I've played this almost entirely solo, and enjoyed it greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Hi!Solo is great!
You can control all 6. If that's too much to start, play with 4 and remove one of the zombie spawn points.

Even the original modern Zombicide is great solo, but the hero dashboards make BP even easier. My first game of full BP was on a huge custom map with all the Zs, necromancers, Aboms and 12 heroes! When playing lots of heroes solo, you need a system to keep track of who has taken their activation and who hasn't, such as a token to put on their dashboard. Being cooperative, you really only miss the social aspect when playing solo, but the gameplay still shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Race D
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Hi!

Solo is great!

I second this. I enjoy playing solo because it means I can get the game to the table more frequently. Playing with a group of 4-6 is great from a social aspect but even if you try to keep the game moving forward it inevitably ends up taking a lot longer with all the chit-chat going on. Playing solo speeds things up quite a bit once you know what you're doing. I just enjoy challenges so whether I'm with friends or playing solo, I enjoy zombicide. Also when I'm playing solo I'm not afraid to add extra spawn points and make the game harder. Usually when I'm hosting a group I don't want it to be too hard we lose and some of the players not have fun.

Playing with multiple characters under your control isn't a big deal, Just do one character at a time like you would any other game. You get the added bonus of knowing what you plan to do with future characters whereas in a group you might have a player do something differently than what you thought was the optimal play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, this is one of those games where controlling multiple characters is NOT a chore because of the wonderful dashboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Verduzco
Mexico
Mexico City
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES, YES, YES, YES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
along with galaxy defenders.this is a great solo experience!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like soloing ZBP a lot.
To keep within the constraints of having the characters play in a given order, I house rule a way to designate each one in turn to be the first one to spend actions - and the other play along the same sequence, as if controlled each by a player around the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What some of us are doing to solo this puppy:

Using Turn Tokens for the heroes, and allowing them to go in any turn order you want. Just flip their token when a hero's turn is over.

This adds an extra layer of tactical thinking, but makes the game slightly easier. Depending on what expansions you have, this may or may not be a prob (having all the extras makes the game harder; this variant works well alongside them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Toth
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play this solo, aside from my boy helping roll some dice and tell me where the characters should go.

Very manageable and fun solo, I've run 2 characters, 6 / 8 and really doesn't take much time.

I like the strategy and figuring out who should go where and do what, that's what takes time for me.

But a great game for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well technically, the game is purely a SOLO game from the ground up.

It's just nice to share the experience some times with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brown
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played solo, and it's great. As for the keeping track of who's moved, I simply shift the dashboards a bit to right or left, say maybe 6". When all have been shifted, that phase of the game is over.

Wish I'd seen The Kickstarter for this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brown
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin, I do much the same, which basically follows the rules (as I understand them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Agree, playing solo reminds of a board game format of a turn based strategy video games (like the old ogre battle or X-COM games). Still enjoyable even without other people to banter with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.