Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Olver
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I landed a whale I couldn't cover the "Lay" for, so I had to sell it.
Does "Stubb" (or a.n.other Capt.) buy it?
[Stubb was not at his ten whales limit.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question. I don't think I considered that in the rules.
Based on how I set up the captains to work, yes, the captain should be able to buy the whale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
I have a question about following Captain's Orders in the solo game. If it reaches the point of placing a meeple in a named building (from Captain's Orders) is the purpose to also take that action or is it just to tie up that building so it can't be used that round? For example, it says that Ahab won't use the Post Office if he already owns it so that tells me that he would thus place his meeple on the player's Post Office and move it to his side of town (the $2 payment at rounds end is ignored).

Some of the other buildings mentioned in Captain's Orders include the: Lighthouse (would you move one of the ships out further, if so which one?); Coffeehouse (draw 2 tiles keep best of the two if a ship is at sea); and Inn (two bonus town/whaling board actions prior to movement phase). The last one would require additional info as to what the Captains plans are (heading goal etc.).

Also Ahab is one of the more confusing Captains so a play example (like the one in rulebook for Starbuck) would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
The captain actually uses the building to the extent possible. The Post Office is mentioned explicitly for Ahab because there are cases when a player might use their own Post Office (e.g. to lock it up in the last round) and Ahab won't.
For Lighthouse, Coffeehouse, player's judgment should be used, (which ship would you choose in the same circumstances?) but it will generally be the farther out ship. For the Inn, you treat the extra actions like normal captain turns, rolling the die and following the heading as normal, with the same restrictions of no buildings.

I'm hoping we can find a little more room in the rulebook or post a supplement with some more examples for the captains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.