Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Towards the end game, turns can get really, really confusing. Was playing this today and for example I had one card that had 2 decay symbols showing, but it had an ability that generated 3 growth symbols (one for every helmet, and the card had 3 helmets). Then there was also a vale card that let me add a helmet to that card. And another vale card that gave me a permanent growth symbol... And this was for counting up decay and growth.

There were also cards with abilities that generated points or mana that didn't show up on the edge of the cards.

Spirit symbols get really tough to track really quickly. And because of their nature, you often can't just "spend" a card; you might use one symbol from the card for your first vale purchase, but still need to keep track of another. And there's also a vale card that lets you spend 2 mana to make one of your spirit symbols wild!

I think in the future I'm going to start using poker chips to keep track of things. Red and green chips for decay and growth, blue for mana, and probably a mat with spaces for the 4 spirit symbols for keeping track of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Towards the end game, turns can get really, really confusing. Was playing this today and for example I had one card that had 2 decay symbols showing, but it had an ability that generated 3 growth symbols (one for every helmet, and the card had 3 helmets). Then there was also a vale card that let me add a helmet to that card. And another vale card that gave me a permanent growth symbol... And this was for counting up decay and growth.

There were also cards with abilities that generated points or mana that didn't show up on the edge of the cards.

Spirit symbols get really tough to track really quickly. And because of their nature, you often can't just "spend" a card; you might use one symbol from the card for your first vale purchase, but still need to keep track of another. And there's also a vale card that lets you spend 2 mana to make one of your spirit symbols wild!

I think in the future I'm going to start using poker chips to keep track of things. Red and green chips for decay and growth, blue for mana, and probably a mat with spaces for the 4 spirit symbols for keeping track of them.

I noticed it the most with spirit symbols, so last weekend I went to Michaels and bought some of those flat glass beads you put in vases. The one I bought had yellow, green, a darkish red that could pass for brown, and a dark blue which will pass for purple/wild.

I played with them once so far and it made keeping track of what I had to spend so much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Patterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I am keeping different colored dice in the box to track the spirit symbols (six sided) and total mana (20 sided). So far we haven't had any difficulty with the decay/growth but that might want a tracker as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I might start using chips. It makes the "revealed" and "showing" words fit if the decay symbols are covered. It would definitely make it easier to track decay.

Good Call!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was going to be about Pringles!

I Have bought bags of glass beads from Walmart and Michaels, and they definitely come in handy. But I'm surprised that there weren't tokens with the game, if there is that many different things to track? Maybe in the next printing or expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyFlyChicken wrote:
I thought it was going to be about Pringles!

I Have bought bags of glass beads from Walmart and Michaels, and they definitely come in handy. But I'm surprised that there weren't tokens with the game, if there is that many different things to track? Maybe in the next printing or expansion?

I don't have a problem keeping track of the growth and decay, typically at the most you'll have 3 or 4 of each at the most showing. The red and green stand out to me. The spirit symbols can be somewhat difficult to track though, especially later in the game when you can have several different types showing on a turn.

I was thinking a sheet with multiple boxes (maybe 4?) of each type of spirit symbol, Forest (green), Animal (brown), Sky (yellow) and Wild (purple) could work. Then use glass beads, cubes, etc. to place on the sheet so you can easier see what you have. Now if only I had the graphic skills to make one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
I don't have a problem keeping track of the growth and decay, typically at the most you'll have 3 or 4 of each at the most showing.

You'll always have at least 3 decay symbols showing; you'll have 3 more decay symbols showing than growth symbols.

In the game I was playing on Saturday, my last several turns I would have 8 or more growth symbols, so every time a decay or growth symbol came out I would stop, re-count my growth symbols to make sure I wasn't going too far ("ok, 7 growth symbols, so stop at 10 decay..."). It was very slow, and there was a lot to keep track of because I also had cards with abilities that triggered when they were played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
I don't have a problem keeping track of the growth and decay, typically at the most you'll have 3 or 4 of each at the most showing.

You'll always have at least 3 decay symbols showing; you'll have 3 more decay symbols showing than growth symbols.

In the game I was playing on Saturday, my last several turns I would have 8 or more growth symbols, so every time a decay or growth symbol came out I would stop, re-count my growth symbols to make sure I wasn't going too far ("ok, 7 growth symbols, so stop at 10 decay..."). It was very slow, and there was a lot to keep track of because I also had cards with abilities that triggered when they were played.

The good thing is that you are usually doing this on other player's turns and are ready when it comes back to your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

The good thing is that you are usually doing this on other player's turns and are ready when it comes back to your turn.

Last game had us both have 6 turns where we revealed 3 decay in a row with nothing to counter them, so... No. Just no. Theoretically you do on the other players' turn. But in fact you only sometimes do, and sometimes yawn waiting for your awful turn :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.