$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.2% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Has anyone had any problems registering to the Devil-pig website? I have tried several browsers on both PC and IOS and keep getting the error - "cannot contact ReCAPTCHA servers". Several things about this infuriate me:

1. Materials for the game are hidden behind a registration system
2. The website makes it very difficult to access these materials by protecting them with the universally hated CAPTCHA protection system
3. This annoying and impractical system doesn't even work

Way to frustrate and annoy people trying to get their heads around the game.

I would post on their forums to check this out there but need to register first. I have sent them a form expressing my deep loathing of this system which has been reinforced by this experience.

Devil-pig - please get rid of CAPTCHA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakon wrote:
universally hated CAPTCHA protection system

As I do not hate Captcha, your hyperbole has failed
The "Hated Captcha" you are so upset about is a check-box that says "I am not a robot". Not exactly complicated.

However, I am surprised you are having difficulty reaching the server.

I just tried it with Chrome and had no issue. And I run with Ad-block, ScriptSafe, and Ghostery. Do you use any sort of ad-block or other software on your systems? I would have to guess that something at your end is blocking the captcha server, either something you installed or your ISP.

[Edit to add: Can you reach gstatic.com normally?]

Bakon wrote:

Please NO! As the volunteer moderator who has to swim through and delete all the spam that gets dropped on the forums there is no way I am going to +1 that thought. You volunteering to stand the watch on the spam front? That was up to 15 to 20 a day! At least with the captcha added it drops the spam down to a manageable level of those accounts set up by an actual human and then used for spam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Nostradunwhich wrote:
Bakon wrote:
universally hated CAPTCHA protection system

As I do not hate Captcha, your hyperbole has failed ;)
The "Hated Captcha" you are so upset about is a check-box that says "I am not a robot". Not exactly complicated.

However, I am surprised you are having difficulty reaching the server.

I just tried it with Chrome and had no issue. And I run with Ad-block, ScriptSafe, and Ghostery. Do you use any sort of ad-block or other software on your systems? I would have to guess that something at your end is blocking the captcha server, either something you installed or your ISP.

[Edit to add: Can you reach gstatic.com normally?]

Bakon wrote:

Please NO! As the volunteer moderator who has to swim through and delete all the spam that gets dropped on the forums there is no way I am going to +1 that thought. You volunteering to stand the watch on the spam front? That was up to 15 to 20 a day! At least with the captcha added it drops the spam down to a manageable level of those accounts set up by an actual human and then used for spam.

Please do not ruin a perfectly good tantrum with your rational thinking and sensible advice!

I think I was having flashbacks to the CAPTCHA of old which made you decipher gibberish text or garbled sounds. My hatred for that system burns with the heat of a thousand suns. The new version is much less painful although it still gets you to click through pictures at times - a extra step but I can live with that.

I tried to log into the website again and it worked. A little odd because I tried it multiple times across iPad and PC over a day. I am glad it works now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakon wrote:
Please do not ruin a perfectly good tantrum with your rational thinking and sensible advice!

I think I was having flashbacks to the CAPTCHA of old which made you decipher gibberish text or garbled sounds. My hatred for that system burns with the heat of a thousand suns. The new version is much less painful although it still gets you to click through pictures at times - a extra step but I can live with that.

I tried to log into the website again and it worked. A little odd because I tried it multiple times across iPad and PC over a day. I am glad it works now.

Sorry to ruin a perfectly good rant, those can be so satisfying

It is not that surprising, likely your ISP was just having trouble reaching the captcha servers during that day. Remember that the IP network underlying all of the Internet was designed to be robust enough that a package would EVENTUALLY arrive at its destination. No guarantee on when that would be. Then we started layering things on top of that which are impatient and will only wait so long before declaring failure. Your browser is one of those things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.