$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 76.54

5,197 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
32.7% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Reluctant Enemies» Forums » General

Subject: RE or Sicily II --- which is better for NEWBIES rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noted the updated Sicily is now published and marketed as an Introduction to the system

Is this game or RE preferred to get introduced to the system?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would lean slightly towards Reluctant Enemies.

It has fewer counters, and a simpler situation: no amphibious landings or paratroop drops (it does have a commando landing at the start which is very straightforward).

There is also very little airpower in RE, which again simplifies the decision making.

It comes with a starter guide (I think that is what it is called) which also seems useful.

Sicily II does look great, and it is of course part of OCS Matters, so there is a lot of content there apart from just the game.

So both would be good, but I lean slightly to RE.

The fact that there are Australian troops involved in the campaign represented in RE might subconsciously affect my preference of course.

No US or Germans in RE, and plenty of both in Sicily, in case that sways your subconscious in a different direction!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's a no-brainer in favour of RE. Most of the stuff in the magazine is about strategy for older games which you won't have as a new player. So in terms of value alone, RE is a clear winner. At least, going by the prices in Europe. Had they released Sicily 2 in the same format as RE, then I would probably lean towards the former as the particular conflict is of slightly more interest.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reluctant Enemies
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER Bickford
United States
Auburn
flag msg tools
mb
achates wrote:
I think it's a no-brainer in favour of RE. Most of the stuff in the magazine is about strategy for older games which you won't have as a new player. So in terms of value alone, RE is a clear winner. At least, going by the prices in Europe. Had they released Sicily 2 in the same format as RE, then I would probably lean towards the former as the particular conflict is of slightly more interest.


I agree, on the other hand, the articles on the CRT, Artillery and Barrage, Putting Some Blitz in your Krieg, are excellent on OCS principles regardless of the game you are playing. I wish they would have included the article on how to conduct a successful Air Campaign.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
OCS is complex. Get the game you are most interested in trying. List prices are very similar ($48 vs $52), but Sicily II does not include the combat charts/tables and series rulebook (so you would have to read them on a PDF, which isn't ideal). Because of the series rules, in general I would say Sicily II is best only if you already have a few unplayed OCS games on your shelf.

By the way, Tunisia II is another outstanding intro game to the series, and at $60 is in the ballpark of the other two. It doesn't have the detailed sample turn that the other two have, though, so you would have less of a leg-up to get started.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kisner wrote:
OCS is complex. Get the game you are most interested in trying. List prices are very similar ($48 vs $52), but Sicily II does not include the combat charts/tables and series rulebook (so you would have to read them on a PDF, which isn't ideal). Because of the series rules, in general I would say Sicily II is best only if you already have a few unplayed OCS games on your shelf.

By the way, Tunisia II is another outstanding intro game to the series, and at $60 is in the ballpark of the other two. It doesn't have the detailed sample turn that the other two have, though, so you would have less of a leg-up to get started.



Love what you did with Tunisia II. I was sad to see Sicily go to a magazine game, but understand the idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are new to complex wargames in general. Reluctant Enemies. If you are already a hardcore wargamer I think that Tunisia II has much more meat. If you have already a basic notion of the system Sicily II has everything (ships, paras... everything).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Oleksy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale just did a multi-part playthrough/review on Reluctant Enemies. I would suggest watching the review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmooVcNIlWM

He talks about why this may not be the best intro game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
faldska wrote:
calandale just did a multi-part playthrough/review on Reluctant Enemies. I would suggest watching the review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmooVcNIlWM

He talks about why this may not be the best intro game.


With respect to calendar, whose videos I think are great, his reasoning on this point is quite flawed. He says the starter guide is of no use to him and other games with small mini-scenarios might be better. This is silly; the starter guide is exactly what most people need, walking you through a few turns in detail. Calendar has already played the system previously a few times so must have forgotten what it was like trying to learn it from scratch.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.