$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 64.03

4,533 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.6% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Myth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keeping two cards in hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my regular group loves building combos in games and has asked if we couldn't change the rules to keep up to two cards in hand.
We could even impose a cost to do so.

Of course we "could" as I own the game.

However, has anyone tried this for a significant number of games ? If so, did it totally unbalance the game ? Did it make a difference ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could still only do 1 Action per Hero Cycle, but would allow you to keep more situational cards, or (for the classes with few good actions), keep them in hand without having to cycle through again.

IMO it would reduce some of the frustration of getting junk hands, as when you get a good one you could keep 2 cards to 'tide you over'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game will get a lot easier this way. It's not so much about combos but about the ability to save good or situational cards for the "right" time.

TBH, that would make the game too boring for me, because the card choices are totally obvious. If each hero is able to gear up cards for his big move, you'll end up doing ONLY the same thing again and again, because it's the most efficient way to do it.
At least for me, the great thing about MYTH is the way, how each HC posses a new puzzle to solve and that also means dealing with bad draws. The more cards you allow a hero to keep, the more you shift the game from a puzzle-per-HC to a puzzle-per-deck rotation and that will make the game really, really stale as in the most cases you wouldn't have any incentive to act unless you have your good cards ready.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is "have you played it that way for a number of sessions".
There may not be anyone as most players probably follow the rules.

Theoretically I agree that it might make it easier but I am interested to hear from anyone who has tried it on an ongoing basis.

Since, in adventure mode, the game difficulty is totally configured by player choices as to what to face, I don't see the level of chalkenge being an issue as you just face tougher/more monsters/lairs. Saving cards for another turn costs you a minimum of one darkness (more with multiple creature types).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Posco wrote:
My question is "have you played it that way for a number of sessions".
There may not be anyone as most players probably follow the rules.

Theoretically I agree that it might make it easier but I am interested to hear from anyone who has tried it on an ongoing basis.

Since, in adventure mode, the game difficulty is totally configured by player choices as to what to face, I don't see the level of chalkenge being an issue as you just face tougher/more monsters/lairs. Saving cards for another turn costs you a minimum of one darkness (more with multiple creature types).


I'd say, there is no real need to "test" this. What your houserule does, is giving each hero a free "Crown of the Unconquered" item.

If you now think about the fact that this is a blue level item and how long you have to play to equip each hero with a blue, permanent item (adding blue treasure tokens to the bag, finding it, aquiring a title...) and ignoring the fact, that there is actually only 1 copy of the item in the whole game, not 5... I'd say, yes, this makes the game a lot more easy.

If you enjoy it that way, go for it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy jo jim Bob
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
rotting rubbish heap of a world
mbmbmbmb
Posco wrote:
Since, in adventure mode, the game difficulty is totally configured by player choices as to what to face, I don't see the level of challenge being an issue as you just face tougher/more monsters/lairs. Saving cards for another turn costs you a minimum of one darkness (more with multiple creature types).


If you do choose to make it tougher, won't you also get better rewards? Doesn't sound very balanced.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people just need to buy Fireteam Zero if they want a similar system done better than Myth.

I tried to patch Myth together into something fun with houserules and variants and just never was satisfied with the gameplay.

And I don't think Journeyman will save it. With Gloomhaven on the horizon, best to get out now IMO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeegen wrote:
Posco wrote:
Since, in adventure mode, the game difficulty is totally configured by player choices as to what to face, I don't see the level of challenge being an issue as you just face tougher/more monsters/lairs. Saving cards for another turn costs you a minimum of one darkness (more with multiple creature types).


If you do choose to make it tougher, won't you also get better rewards? Doesn't sound very balanced.


I have no idea. Depends how you structure the acts, when you decide to discard items you cant retain due to titles, etc

It is not my suggestion and I tend to stick to the rules as written for most games unless they are clearly broken. I normally ignore variants.
But Gaming to me is a shared and hopefully fun experience and thus I haven't ruled out my friends request. However, I'm interested if anyone has actual experience of playing this way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
I think people just need to buy Fireteam Zero if they want a similar system done better than Myth.

I tried to patch Myth together into something fun with houserules and variants and just never was satisfied with the gameplay.

And I don't think Journeyman will save it. With Gloomhaven on the horizon, best to get out now IMO.


Different opinions then. I own both Gears of War and Fireteam Zero and both are excellent but are far less ambitious in what they offer. I was lucky in that v2 rules were on the horizon before I played Myth for the first time so don't have any baggage from all the rules issues.

If I could only have one of them I would keep Myth.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posco wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
I think people just need to buy Fireteam Zero if they want a similar system done better than Myth.

I tried to patch Myth together into something fun with houserules and variants and just never was satisfied with the gameplay.

And I don't think Journeyman will save it. With Gloomhaven on the horizon, best to get out now IMO.


Different opinions then. I own both Gears of War and Fireteam Zero and both are excellent but are far less ambitious in what they offer. I was lucky in that v2 rules were on the horizon before I played Myth for the first time so don't have any baggage from all the rules issues.

If I could only have one of them I would keep Myth.

Yeah it is just preference, mostly. I think Gloomhaven is going to completely replace Myth for me (and have high hopes that it will de-throne Mage Knight as the best solo-Fantasy Adventure on the market).

Plus I think the interaction between players and the card-play is more interesting and better designed in Fireteam Zero (and in Gears of War for that matter) than it is in Myth. Card's doubling as your health adds to something tactics-wise that Myth doesn't have IMO. Also Myth seems to be, mostly, people running around playing solo as very few cards that you play effect other people in a very interesting way. I'm just constantly waiting for cards in the game, which seems to be partially what this OP is also noticing.

I will say that I do agree that Myth is HUGELY ambitious. I mean Journey man will have each character class being represent by 6 mini's (3 male/3 female) which is astounding. But I don't think the ambition is going to save all the problems with the game. It looks great, it's big, it's imaginative, but the gameplay just isn't that fun. I've tried to give it time and keep chugging along but I have come to the conclusion I am better off to get out now before Gloomhaven arrives.

Maybe Journeyman will come and the game will make a huge come-back and rocket to the top. That's possible. There is still hope for this game, but I've lost mine since I simply enjoy playing other, similar, games more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Posco wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
I think people just need to buy Fireteam Zero if they want a similar system done better than Myth.

I tried to patch Myth together into something fun with houserules and variants and just never was satisfied with the gameplay.

And I don't think Journeyman will save it. With Gloomhaven on the horizon, best to get out now IMO.


Different opinions then. I own both Gears of War and Fireteam Zero and both are excellent but are far less ambitious in what they offer. I was lucky in that v2 rules were on the horizon before I played Myth for the first time so don't have any baggage from all the rules issues.

If I could only have one of them I would keep Myth.

Yeah it is just preference, mostly. I think Gloomhaven is going to completely replace Myth for me (and have high hopes that it will de-throne Mage Knight as the best solo-Fantasy Adventure on the market).

Plus I think the interaction between players and the card-play is more interesting and better designed in Fireteam Zero (and in Gears of War for that matter) than it is in Myth. Card's doubling as your health adds to something tactics-wise that Myth doesn't have IMO. Also Myth seems to be, mostly, people running around playing solo as very few cards that you play effect other people in a very interesting way. I'm just constantly waiting for cards in the game, which seems to be partially what this OP is also noticing.

I will say that I do agree that Myth is HUGELY ambitious. I mean Journey man will have each character class being represent by 6 mini's (3 male/3 female) which is astounding. But I don't think the ambition is going to save all the problems with the game. It looks great, it's big, it's imaginative, but the gameplay just isn't that fun. I've tried to give it time and keep chugging along but I have come to the conclusion I am better off to get out now before Gloomhaven arrives.

Maybe Journeyman will come and the game will make a huge come-back and rocket to the top. That's possible. There is still hope for this game, but I've lost mine since I simply enjoy playing other, similar, games more.


I find the Gameplay quite good , it depends on if you want all options available all the time , like many wargames or if you are prepared to go with waht you have.

To me it represents the theme of a fast battle with the options narrowed down to stop Anlaysis Paralysis (AP) , although artificially , limited by your hand. So in the next few seconds the situation allows me to ... whatever you and your colleagues have.

Very similar to SMG or Mistfall and not that dissimilar to MK although generally not that many options until you have built a good deck.

In Myth you know what you are capable of (your deck) and know you can get in the right position to use your skills. Its been tried before AH Gunslinger , Magic Realm both great tactical games but too many options and too fiddly.

From what I saw of Firetem Zero its a simpler Myth and more structured scenario wise. Not really that exciting and certtainly doesn't generate the narrative (solo or as a group where Myth really shines) that Myth does.

So for you Myth doesn't work , we all know that but at least you tried, however it doen't mean FT is"done better than Myth and people need to buy it.

Personally I don't think it needs saving and from your posts Journeyman won't save it for you.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.