One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » Variants

Subject: A shorter and easier nighttime without hearing cards move rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I had an idea to solve the problem that players could hear each other at night and get information by accident that they shouldn't have. I made an app that lets players do their night action on a smarthphone rather than with cards. In turn, each player gets the app, gets to see his/her role and does the night action corresponding to that role. This takes about 5 taps per player, and after that, nighttime is finished and players can start discussing. I made a video how the app works, you can see it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1WYxywTaae6cGFpMjVyT2czLW....

I personally use it all the time and I find it very useful, and I can imagine more people might want this. Does anyone think this is helpful too? And does anyone have ideas on how to make this public? I already tried mailing Bezier Games and messaging Ted Alspach via boardgamegeek, but without response.

It has a few other aspects that change, of which most are advantages in my opion. A list of those aspects is:
- Because nobody has to touch cards, there will be no information because of hearing something at night whatsoever
- The need to have the physical game is removed, making it ideal for playing while traveling (I realize this may not be good from a sales point of view, but there should be a solution possible here)
- The need to close your eyes at night is removed, so you can even go to the toilet or get drinks while others are doing their night action (some people may find this to be bad for the atmosphere, this is a matter of opinion)
- The night time is generally reduced, although this depends on how many special roles are in the game (with the app it will always take a few seconds per player, without the app it heavily depends on the roles that are in)
- Some roles will not work, some roles work differently (since everyone gets the app once and the insomniac may be the first to get it, she does not "know" yet whether she is switched, the doppelganger works differently)
- Some roles only work with this app (I have created a role that blocks a switch without the switcher knowing it, an extra 'random role' that gets mixed in as well and a role that will look like a different role when it is seen by for example the seer)
- You cannot cheat anymore, the app will show only things you may know and will also say who won and who did not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmb
Ivo1994 wrote:
- Some roles will not work, some roles work differently (since everyone gets the app once and the insomniac may be the first to get it, she does not "know" yet whether she is switched, the doppelganger works differently)
This is the big one. All of the active roles will work differently due to the timing change you've introduced. It's an interesting take on how the concept can be implemented, but it's not at all the same game.

For making it public, you could look into re-branding the thing as your own IP (something like "instant werewolf"), but I doubt Bezier is going to be interested in this as an ONUW-specific thing for the issue of this being a new standalone game that uses their IP.

You might also want to take a look at One Night Revolution -- that's an ONUW variant that's also built to be "once-around" instead of being a role-driven order. You could emulate that much more closely, if not exactly, and might be better able to pitch Indie Boards on developing it for market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
lomn wrote:
Ivo1994 wrote:
This is the big one. All of the active roles will work differently due to the timing change you've introduced. It's an interesting take on how the concept can be implemented, but it's not at all the same game.

For making it public, you could look into re-branding the thing as your own IP (something like "instant werewolf"), but I doubt Bezier is going to be interested in this as an ONUW-specific thing for the issue of this being a new standalone game that uses their IP.

You might also want to take a look at One Night Revolution -- that's an ONUW variant that's also built to be "once-around" instead of being a role-driven order. You could emulate that much more closely, if not exactly, and might be better able to pitch Indie Boards on developing it for market.

From the base game, the only roles that work differently are the insomniac and the doppelganger. It's really not such a big difference as you are thinking it is. This is because while the troublemaker can get the app before the seer, internally (in the app) the seer still goes before the troublemaker. The seer sees cards as they were in the beginning of the night, and the cards are switched only after everyone has taken their night turn. Maybe I can make it more clear with a video, I'll edit it in the first post. Because of this, this is really not like One Night Revolution, although you could make an app for that as well.

I'm not really interested in making my own IP since this is the same game as ONUW, only a different way to play it. What I would like is to be able to let other people make use of this app as well, but I don't think it's legal to just post the app here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
This sounds like a clever solution. Have you considered passing the app twice around the table? Maybe this could make it possible to completely emulate the original behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
therobbot wrote:
This sounds like a clever solution. Have you considered passing the app twice around the table? Maybe this could make it possible to completely emulate the original behavior.

You are right, this would work, at least for the base game. However, I found the extra time at night not worth the small difference. I don't really mind changing the insomniac to "cannot be switched at night, so if for example the troublemaker selects the insomniac to switch, no switch happens (but the troublemaker doesn't know this)". It's a role that works only with the app and has the same idea as the original insomniac, and I like this role about as much as the original insomniac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
One obvious solution would be for each player to use their own device instead of passing a single device around the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
clivej wrote:
One obvious solution would be for each player to use their own device instead of passing a single device around the table.

Indeed.
I'm just not that experienced in programming, so I haven't been able to do that (yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Where do you download it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.