$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 129.77

7,651 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: OP_DELETED [+] [View All]
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*you're
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do disagree. It is too egocentric a viewpoint and I think sometimes (not all the time) you should play a game you dislike because someone in your game group really likes that game (because sometimes it is better to give than receive).

Still, I think the majority would probably agree with you that you board game because its fun and if you aren't having fun then don't do it - it seems to be the opinion I encounter as a majority.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Who am I to say why other people should play games? How can there be only one right answer? I like fun, J.C. (clearclaw) might not. Pet(e) may be into games for the suffering, Bryan might like all those dice. Different folks, different strokes.

I made a little poll, you can go here--Why do you play games? THE POLL!!! --and check it out. Ninety percent of people in this totally scientific poll chose fun as one of their reasons for playing games, it was the top choice. However, almost as many, 85%, chose the "intellectual challenge" of playing games. Competition, stress relief, and aesthetics were other over 50% choices.

Myself, I chose fun, staying in touch with friends, staying in touch with my kid, staying in touch with my wife, competition, intellectual challenge, world building, aesthetics, and stress reliever.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why post?
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack sparrow
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You assume that you know what is fun for people. Are you one of those that feels that a board game need to have maximum player interaction with the utmost silliness. Sure that is fun, but what about puzzling out the optimal path to victory or economic efficiency in a euro? I find that fun too, as well as the post-game talk about our thought processes.

Fun is what you make of it. You can even have fun with the right group of people playing an awful, awful game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on your definition of fun. I mean, every decision I make is out of a desire to be happy, either long or short term, but that doesn't mean I make all of my decisions for the purpose of "fun."

I suppose definitions of fun differ, but for what it's worth, this is how Wikipedia defines it.

Quote:
Fun is the enjoyment of pleasure, particularly in leisure activities. Fun is an experience — short-term, often unexpected, informal, not cerebral and generally purposeless. It is an enjoyable distraction, diverting the mind and body from any serious task or contributing an extra dimension to it. Although particularly associated with recreation and play, fun may be encountered during work, social functions, and even seemingly mundane activities of daily living. It may often have little to no logical basis, and opinions on whether or not an activity is fun may differ. A distinction between enjoyment and fun is difficult but possible to articulate, fun being a more spontaneous, playful, or active event. There are psychological and physiological implications to the experience of fun.


I don't know if I agree with all of this, but it lines up with my view that "fun" implies something a little more purposeless and light. I have definitely played games for that reason.

But, I would say that the games that interest me more are ones that provide a mental challenge. During games, I want my brain to be in overdrive working out the puzzles. Is that fun? Again, it depends on your definition. The reason I play Go is different than the reason I play Telestrations. Do both of those fall into the same category? I'm not sure I would describe the experiences the same way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
ie a No True Scotsman fallacy as anyone who disagrees isn't part of "we".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
ie a No True Scotsman fallacy as anyone who disagrees isn't part of "we".


Opinions are logical fallacies. Shut down the Internet!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why link to an image when it just contains text?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Zaretsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Verbosity wrote:
I do disagree. It is too egocentric a viewpoint and I think sometimes (not all the time) you should play a game you dislike because someone in your game group really likes that game (because sometimes it is better to give than receive).

I tend to agree with you here. My dad had Alzheimers, and we tried to get him to play Apples to Apples, to stimulate his mind, but by the time we did it, he was a bit too far gone to get the basic concept of the game. The other day, I played rummy with a couple of people simply to help them pass the time -- it's not a game that I enjoy, but I was bored, and they were bored, and they weren't interested in playing any of the designer games I had with me, so I did it. Also, chess gives me a headache nowadays, but I played it with my young nephew because he was really into chess (I enjoyed it when I was younger). When he was a bit older, I taught him how to play Marvel Legendary, and I'm really glad that he liked it (So I probably don't have to play Chess with him again lol).

So yeah, there's three separate examples that I can name right off the top of my head when I've played games that I did not usually enjoy. I really did enjoy spending time with my nephew. And if that meant playing chess with him, I was more than happy to oblige.

I've also played games that I didn't realize I wasn't going to enjoy. On very rare occasions, you can get into pickup games or tournaments with the wrong people, such as a couple of incidents I've experienced at conventions. In one case, I actually quit a tournament game -- I walked out in the middle because of an asshole I was playing against in Advanced Civilization, years ago, because I couldn't see spending another two or three hours, or however long the game would last, with that one guy. And I've had other unpleasant experiences, especially with longer games. I don't normally walk out on the game like I did in that tournament. But I have argued to call a game that I was not enjoying, a draw, to varying success.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not?

Pete (shrugs)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
Why link to an image when it just contains text?


Because it's a meme, that's all, I have posted it in multiple places.

I don't see why a misspelled graphic is better than text.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
Why link to an image when it just contains text?


Because it's a meme, that's all, I have posted it in multiple places.

I don't see why a misspelled graphic is better than text.

It adds the bonus challenge of "Who's the person in the background, and what's that graphic on the t-shirt?"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Verbosity wrote:
I do disagree. It is too egocentric a viewpoint and I think sometimes (not all the time) you should play a game you dislike because someone in your game group really likes that game (because sometimes it is better to give than receive).

Still, I think the majority would probably agree with you that you board game because its fun and if you aren't having fun then don't do it - it seems to be the opinion I encounter as a majority.


I wouldn't rule out having fun playing a board game you dislike. It can be quite liberating.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
There's a world of reasons to play games that aren't "for fun". Examples off the top of my head: to learn, to teach, to train, to build relationships, to socialise, for exercise...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games have a learning curve so you may not have fun to start with but after a number of plays the mechanics become easier and the "fun factor" is increased. So a "fun" game can be missed completely if you quit because your not having instant gratification, some things need a little effort
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Guys, all i'm saying in this is that boardgames are made so that people can have fun, just like any game. So if your not having fun, then there is no point of playing.

And all we're saying is that you're wrong. People have lots of different, perfectly valid reasons for playing games. It's not all about the fun. (And that's before we go down the rabbit hole of trying to analyze what you mean by "fun.")
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play anything, I find it hard to socialize in general and having the structure of a game there helps for some reason.

As a result I'll play pretty much anything, I enjoy some games more than others, but I hardly ever turn down a game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
I do disagree. It is too egocentric a viewpoint and I think sometimes (not all the time) you should play a game you dislike because someone in your game group really likes that game (because sometimes it is better to give than receive).

Yeah, I sure do like to make friends spend time doing something they don't want to just for my own personal amusement, and expect them to appreciate that when it happens then it's good for them because they're giving rather than receiving. shake

Or, you know, it's possible to find a game that everyone at the table would want to play, instead of making someone play a game they don't want to...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a horrible image. Bad font, misspelled word, distracting background image, and all to convey a point that I disagree with.

There are definitely games I play to have fun. Most recently it's been But Wait, There's More! which is just silly fun. But I also thrive on mental challenge and competition. I find it engaging and stimulating and I derive great satisfaction at developing more skill in games... but it's clearly a different experience than a fun party game.

And while you might try to redefine fun to somehow include those experiences, I've also had miserable experiences playing games that I highly value because they taught me something important about the game. I doubt there's any way to shoehorn those examples into "fun".

People play games because they value the experience. Fun is not the only valuable experience. Just because fun is the only motivation you can understand to play board games doesn't make it the only valid motivation to play games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Guys, I'm not saying that there is a game you poll out for the first time and you didn't really enjoy it so don't play it again. I'm saying
that for example, you are playing a game of golf with friends, your first shot goes flying way into the woods, and the next person does the same, and the next! So at this point nobody is having fun. WHY PLAY? Start over! You will have way more fun in the end.
If I'm a bad golfer who makes bad shots like that, how is starting over going to improve anything? Aren't I likely to just make another bad shot again?

And why does playing poorly mean you can't have fun? I could easily imagine a bunch of guys making fun of each other for their horrible shots and having fun ribbing each other every time they flub a shot.

Personally, starting over would seem like cheating and would leave a bad taste in my mouth. If the goal is to have fun, then this would not be the way to do it for me. I'd have more fun if we didn't pay as much attention to the score and just played. If you're going to get upset at a bad score, I'm not sure you're going to have much fun as you'll be obsessing over every mistake instead of enjoying a day out with friends.

I'm thinking you have an odd definition of fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hicitup wrote:
Guys, I'm not saying that there is a game you poll out for the first time and you didn't really enjoy it so don't play it again. I'm saying
that for example, you are playing a game of golf with friends, your first shot goes flying way into the woods, and the next person does the same, and the next! So at this point nobody is having fun. WHY PLAY? Start over! You will have way more fun in the end.


Yeah and I don't agree with either the choice or your reasoning. I'm rarely trying to optimise for fun; "fun" isn't that important or interesting and is rarely why I'm playing the game in the first place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hicitup wrote:
And you can't "dig" unless you can do better.


I think we've already established that we can use better spelling/grammar.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
And you can't "dig" unless you can do better.


I think we've already established that we can use better spelling/grammar.

Never mind the silliness of the statement to begin with. I'm pretty sure Bryan could do better. If he cared as much about becoming a 'thing' as the TS seems to do. And even if he couldn't, 'you can't to better' wasn't a valid defense in puberty, and still isn't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
What a horrible image. Bad font, misspelled word, distracting background image, and all to convey a point that I disagree with.

There are definitely games I play to have fun. Most recently it's been But Wait, There's More! which is just silly fun. But I also thrive on mental challenge and competition. I find it engaging and stimulating and I derive great satisfaction at developing more skill in games... but it's clearly a different experience than a fun party game.

And while you might try to redefine fun to somehow include those experiences, I've also had miserable experiences playing games that I highly value because they taught me something important about the game. I doubt there's any way to shoehorn those examples into "fun".

People play games because they value the experience. Fun is not the only valuable experience. Just because fun is the only motivation you can understand to play board games doesn't make it the only valid motivation to play games.


It's not misspelled, it's just misplaced. "Your" is a word, I just misplaced it when it should have been "You're."

And you can't "dig" unless you can do better.
Not content to spell words incorrectly, you now use them incorrectly as well?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.