Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is our official FAQ thread. The designer, developers, and publisher are all subscribed to this thread, so we'll be able to answer your questions. Let's get it started with two questions I was recently asked:

Quote:
When directed to "rotate" a card, is the direction always clockwise, or can a player choose the direction if it's not specified?

The direction is always clockwise. You start with the first position, where the card is vertical. Then you rotate clockwise, moving on to the second position where the card is sideways. The third side is as far as it goes in the base game, where the card is upside down. Keep in mind that we built in a visual system for this as well, as the shield goes from whole to cracked to destroyed on a 3-use card. A 1-use or 2-use card has a truncated visual progression.

Quote:
When choosing defenders, is there any need to "match" vulnerabilities with the heroes determining the initiate? We've been playing as though that is not required, but we wanted to confirm that.

I'm not completely sure I understand the question, but I believe it's asking about the process of drafting defenses and whether or not those drafted have to match vulnerabilities of the recently flipped heroes. The answer to that is no, though some players might want to try doing so in an effort to make sure all of their incoming heroes are accounted for (especially those pesky wizards).

What are your questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This might be a good place to put all the questions together. Such as the one about boosters here
Quote:
My question is, did they HAVE to take the +1s from the other traps, or could they choose to ignore them in this case? Having extra strength wouldn't matter to any hero but the thief...
and this one about the heavy hitters here
Quote:
As for the "rotate a defense before using" rule, can I rotate a defense that's on its final side, effectively trashing it, or must I use a defense that can be rotated?

Also, these two :

Quote:
1) I am 99% certain I am playing this correctly. When you must rotate defense card "A" prior to striking with defense card "B" you do not count the strikes from card "A". Correct?

2) When adding +1 strike for each other "card you have" do I count the cards I have discarded or only the cards with remaining strikes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call, Razoupaf.

In order for the questions above:

Boosters MUST take the +1 bonus for each other defense of their type. They can't choose to ignore the bonus to defeat a thief.

When an effect requires you to "rotate" a defense, you CAN rotate a defense on its final side, trashing the defense.

When a Heavy Hitter rotates another defense before striking, that other defense does NOT add its attack value to the strike. But it is also not considered to have struck in the combat yet, so you could still strike with it on its new side.

Boosters only gain +1 for each other remaining defense that matches type, not for discarded defenses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 questions:
1. Why is your website no longer up?
2. For the Dragon defenses, the cards say they add +1 to other defense of the same type when they are on their final strike...but the downloadable rules do not say the bonus is only for the final strike. Which is correct?

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansdavis wrote:
2 questions:
1. Why is your website no longer up?

We're working on it. Short answer... no clue! Always fun.

ryansdavis wrote:
2. For the Dragon defenses, the cards say they add +1 to other defense of the same type when they are on their final strike...but the downloadable rules do not say the bonus is only for the final strike. Which is correct?

This should be only on the final strike. I'll update the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Wizard card, does the trashed defense have to be one of the face up ones or can you trash a defense card from your hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicomaz wrote:
With the Wizard card, does the trashed defense have to be one of the face up ones or can you trash a defense card from your hand?

There is no "hand" of defense cards. Every defense card you take in the 2nd phase goes face up onto the table in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan is correct. You can choose any of your remaining defense cards, and the wizard immediately trashes it, regardless of the strikes it had remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ryan! I don't know why I didn't realize that before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have heard that question before. As gamers it is so ingraned in our brains to have a hand of cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:

When an effect requires you to "rotate" a defense, you CAN rotate a defense on its final side, trashing the defense.

Just to clarify, even if a card has a single total use or one use remaining, I can still rotate it?

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:

Just to clarify, even if a card has a single total use or one use remaining, I can still rotate it?

Lee

Yep! If it is currently on its last side (has a trashcan icon), you will discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Ryan is correct. You can choose any of your remaining defense cards, and the wizard immediately trashes it, regardless of the strikes it had remaining.

If the wizard is the last hero and there's only one defense card left, do you have to trash it and therefore lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup! You need at least two defenses left to have a chance against a wizard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh...of course you do

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The dungeon is a harsh mistress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Morigi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, I have a question about the combat phase. When this phase begins, a player "flips the topmost Hero card" (that is the last, eighth Hero card, correct?) and he go against the last Defence card. Why not flipping the two decks and start from the first? Beginning from the bottom, for me, it's better for the defending strategy. I've misread the rules or it's correct as is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luca. There aren't two decks. You only have a Hero Deck. The defenses go face up on the table in front of the player who drafted them. You may select any defense you drafted to fight the heroes. They are not paired during the third phase of the game.

So during the third phase you flip the top hero from the deck (the last one you drafted with) and use your defenses to defeat it. When it gets back to you, you flip the next hero from the deck and use whatever defenses you have left. Hopefully that clarifies things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
morf73 wrote:
Hi, I have a question about the combat phase. When this phase begins, a player "flips the topmost Hero card" (that is the last, eighth Hero card, correct?) and he go against the last Defence card. Why not flipping the two decks and start from the first? Beginning from the bottom, for me, it's better for the defending strategy. I've misread the rules or it's correct as is?

I think that although the heroes pop up in last-in-first-out order, the heroes do not go against a specifically preprogramed defensive card; you can use any or all of your defensive cards against each hero provided that they have the correct icons.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Morigi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aaahhhhh okay!!! ANY defense card!!! Sounds much, much better!
Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
morf73 wrote:
Thank you very much

In fact, you will probably need to use multiple defenses at the same time to take down the tougher heroes. I think that you can even hit the hero for more damage than you need to, allowing you to rotate defensive cards to your advantage.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
morf73 wrote:
Thank you very much

In fact, you will probably need to use multiple defenses at the same time to take down the tougher heroes. I think that you can even hit the hero for more damage than you need to, allowing you to rotate defensive cards to your advantage.

Lee

That is correct. You can overspend on anything except the Thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there!

We have played a couple of games with the expansions yesterday (loved it, even though the game feels a lot less tense then without them. Killing everything feels much easier) and I would like some clarifications on the following:

- Rotating or trashing an interactive defense. When an interactive defense is trashed due to another card's ability (be it the Berserker, the Wizard, or the cards that needs you to rotate another defense), do you, or do you not, activate the trashing ability of the interactive card?

- Dragon defense cards. These are awesome and I won a game mostly thanks to the fire dragon! These cards boost the defense cards of the same type that are on their last strike. I suppose this applies to Sanki the Flame as well (sorry if I mispelled the name, I don't have the card right here), the question is: does it boost only its flame value (in case of the flame dragon), or does it also boost the trap and monster value? I would assume it just gives him +1, since the strike value is all types at the same time. In the case of flexible defense cards, I would also assume that it only gives it a boost IF you choose to use the relevant damage type to strike, and wouldn't if you choose the other damage type.

- Gnome Illusionist. So these dudes cannot be defeated by the final strike of a defense card. But can you strike them with a final strike without defeating them? Can I, for instance, soften them a bit with a final strike, and then rotate another card to finish them off?

- Dragon Warriors. Why are they so evil? sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions!

Interactive Defenses must STRIKE to use their effect. Anything else that rotates or trashes them will NOT use their power.

It sounds like you are playing dragons correctly. They will boost an overlord's strike, or a wild or variable strike, if they are on their last strike and they are being used as the dragon's defense type. But if the hero is not vulnerable to the dragon's type, you cannot receive the +1 bonus.

When a gnome is attacking, you cannot strike with defenses on their final strike AT ALL. Sorry!

Dragon Warriors have very spiky armor, which makes them cranky and, unfortunately, totally evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.