1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cardassian Abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I thought I would just take a minute and post what we know about the Cardassian's cards and abilities, or at least what they were a half a year or so ago. Those who attend Gencon can fill in the blanks and let us know if anything has changed!

Command console abilities.

Occupation: Cardassian controlled systems only generate production when occupied by Cardassian ships.

Annexation: Take 1 Culture each time you successfully Invade a planet.

Fleet 1: (generic) 9 ships
Fleet 2: Hunter Killer: In the first round of space battles, all of this fleet's attacks automatically hit. 6 ships.
Fleet 3: Assault: May re-roll all 1's in planetary invasions. 6 ships.

Starting Advancement: Add 1 Command. (start with 6 command tokens)
Military Advancement: 3 Research, Warp token: Systems you control are level 5 hazards to hostile _____ ships.
Obsidian order: 3 Research, ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey, man, I totally understand the compulsion to post even when there isn't anything significant to talk about, just to spark conversation, but this is a little extreme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
Hey, man, I totally understand the compulsion to post even when there isn't anything significant to talk about, just to spark conversation, but this is a little extreme.

Why? These are taken from the man battlestations photos. I didn't make these up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that although they were originally scheduled to be there, the Cardassian expansion will now not be available at GenCon. Are you assuming that GF9 staff will spill the beans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
chas59 wrote:
I understand that although they were originally scheduled to be there, the Cardassian expansion will now not be available at GenCon. Are you assuming that GF9 staff will spill the beans?

They won't be buyable at the con, but they will be playable for the demo games. That has been confirmed by GF9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm very underwhelmed so far.

+1 Command useful if uninspiring.

Occupation - Thematic although a pain in the arse. (Note it's only production)

I think it's when you invade a planet you gain culture not hegemony.

The mines tech is poor, it's only useful in the early game, and by the time you've got it out of your deck and researched enemy ships are liable to be immune to it. Plus they enemy can pick off your ship and not enter the system to knock out your productions and not have to take the roll.

I hope they've lowered the Hazard level or made it the starting tech (with a command token) then it be useful/interesting.

Note though that the photo is from a prototype copy, the Klingons only have 3 ships in the marauder fleet, the Romulans start with advanced cloaking and take a culture from every advancement they research (I don't think balance was the primary concern!).

I hope the Cardassians get more commands as it suits their devious plans within plans nature. I also hope they have more interesting techs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing this on Thursday at Gen Con and I plan on taking the Cardassians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Please don't take things it's not very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
I'm very underwhelmed so far.

+1 Command useful if uninspiring.

Occupation - Thematic although a pain in the arse. (Note it's only production)

I think it's when you invade a planet you gain culture not hegemony.

The mines tech is poor, it's only useful in the early game, and by the time you've got it out of your deck and researched enemy ships are liable to be immune to it. Plus they enemy can pick off your ship and not enter the system to knock out your productions and not have to take the roll.

I hope they've lowered the Hazard level or made it the starting tech (with a command token) then it be useful/interesting.

Note though that the photo is from a prototype copy, the Klingons only have 3 ships in the marauder fleet, the Romulans start with advanced cloaking and take a culture from every advancement they research (I don't think balance was the primary concern!).

I hope the Cardassians get more commands as it suits their devious plans within plans nature. I also hope they have more interesting techs.

I think you may be right about "invade". Its the only one I couldn't read clearly!

I actually really love the command token starting tech. That works better with my play style than most!

Yeah, occupation looks crappy.

And maybe the hazard level goes up with further advancements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Mundane wrote:
I'm playing this on Thursday at Gen Con and I plan on taking the Cardassians.

Nice! Can you/will you do a write up for them and for what you think of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they had zero abilities, unless you count getting naked.

Oh, wait, I got a little confused there... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
being forced to leave a ship in each system for production is a real pain early on, as its what you need to build more ships!

you need to be very careful not to lose your ships to hazards while exploring and colonizing a planet now requires 2 of your ships before you start getting production, it will be a slow crawl to get new planets.

once at war with a player, you risk losing your production quite fast as its impossible to garrison each planet with a decent fleet, and single ships will be picked off easily resulting in immediate production loss.

i would not recommend them going to war too easily. they need to rely more on trade agreements to compensate for their difficult production.
they best make sure to go last in a turn so they have some chance to move ships to planets as needed to recover production before its generated.

i hope they have good advancements/fleets to compensate.
the hunter-killer fleet is very nice indeed, just a bit small with only 3 ships.

the extra command they get will not be enough to compensate their higher requirement for moving ships around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds as thought the Cardassian "garrisoning" requirement for ships will significantly slow their early expansion and economic development.

However, their battle capabilities are impressive, between the "strike fleet," "first-round Hit" and nine-ship fleet characteristics.

I could see the Cardassian player being subtle and cagey waiting for opponents to overextend, then ambushing at certain select points to disrupt opponents' trade/travel plans and perhaps using the megafleet for a crippling counterstroke . . . assuming that the Cardassian can manage to build a strong enough economic base to fund such fleets.

Intriguing . . . as someone used to say . . . .

Will definitely purchase this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/118/carda...

We got our first official look at them! They haven't changed much but the Hunter Killer fleet is up to 6 ships, which makes them pretty good!

Beasts of war is reporting the actual release of the expansion will be in October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
John1701 wrote:
http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/118/carda...

We got our first official look at them! They haven't changed much but the Hunter Killer fleet is up to 6 ships, which makes them pretty good!

Beasts of war is reporting the actual release of the expansion will be in October.

That seems to be the invasion fleet not the hunter-killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!
it would be nice if someone could post a picture of all the other factions advancements as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brilliant we now know more about Cardies than any other race.

The only thing we don't know is the "1" fleet ability. It isn't another Hunter Killer fleet (I did wonder), we do know it is only a 3 ship fleet though.

I think over all the race is slightly weak but has a number of ways to create absolute havoc.

Creating fleets in uncontrolled systems (Mainly Phenomena) and nabbing random techs from other people.

If you think the Romulans are near to winning you could nab all the culture generators out of their deck

I still think the mines tech is garbage.

Strange how the card edges haven't been rounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
Brilliant we now know more about Cardies than any other race.

The only thing we don't know is the "1" fleet ability. It isn't another Hunter Killer fleet (I did wonder), we do know it is only a 3 ship fleet though.

I think over all the race is slightly weak but has a number of ways to create absolute havoc.

Creating fleets in uncontrolled systems (Mainly Phenomena) and nabbing random techs from other people.

If you think the Romulans are near to winning you could nab all the culture generators out of their deck

I still think the mines tech is garbage.

Strange how the card edges haven't been rounded.

Played as the Cardassians in my game this afternoon. They have two Hunter-Killer fleets of 3, and an Assault fleet of 6.

All 3 fleets are a generic 9 fleet on the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting, what did you think of the game/how well the game run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
my game this afternoon.

Give us all the deets!

Pacing, balance, play-by-play. How did the different factions interact? What's the pacing like? How many players, and how long did it take? Was there a clear winner long before the game was over? Any oddities or peculiarities in the rules?

Come one, man. We're dying for info over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what did you think of the factions you played against--and which ones were they?

Hey guys, give him some thumbs if you want him to share...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what the cardassians do have is cheap advancements, lots of 3-cost, no 5-cost, they are more likely to research their advancements fast.

for a 3-cost those mines can be useful early on and could help the cardassians risk first contact fast, the 3-dice starbase tech is a good defense as well.

their ability to steal advancements from other factions could create quite some interesting combinations, certainly if they can grab some of the key advancements of that faction, thereby weakening their strengths.

the tech to build ships in an uncontrolled system is a possible game changer as it enables them to show up next to other factions early on to establish trade!
it also gives a fast way to colonize planets as they could build a ship in an uncontrolled system and immediately use it to colonize the planet there without having to move the ships there first. this will really save up commands!
and surprise attacks by hunter-killer fleets anywhere on the board starting from phenomena could be painful.

they definitely sound more interesting to play with these options!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try and share as much info as I can, but I'm posting from my phone so please excuse the mess.

I played in a 4 player game with the 3 base factions + Cardassians. The game took around 3 hours, but once we had the hang of the rules it started picking up the pace much faster. I'm afraid I don't really remember the play-by-play, but I can give you some thoughts:

- The Cardassian weakness is quite painful. It really serves to hinder your initial production. However, they have some techs like Labor Camps that can make up for it once they get going.
- Trade agreements are quite strong and serve as a good incentive to get players to connect. The Federation and Romulans were isolationist at first, but once they saw the Klingons and I start pulling 3 extra production a turn, they immediately went to connect.
- Having fleets research anomalies really boosts your research speed, making them a significant point of contention.
- The fleet mechanic is really cool. All of us were impressed with it. It's just so cool to get these special abilities. Hunter-Killer can be quite devastating, especially if you have 2 HK fleets.

I'll give my impressions of each faction as well:

Federation: These guys don't really want to interact with you, they're happy just exploring the map. They can be quite the cultural powerhouse with the culture bonus for discovering civilizations and phenomena. They have a planetary defense grid tech that makes them quite good at holding on to planets
Coupled with a number of fleets that get fast colonization, they expand quickly and dig in. Although they have a tendency for isolation, the fact that they constantly want to explore will bring them into the galactic community.
Romulans: Research powerhouses. They have techs that let them gain bonus science when neighbors/trading partners? research techs. Their first strike ability is a huge advantage, but everyone seems to have a tech that nullifies Romulan cloaking technologies. However, Romulans have multiple technologies that exhaust enemy technologies, so they can still be tricky. They also csn retreat into warp and move through your ships with research, which makes them as slippery as you would expect.
Klingons: They want to smash their fleets into your face repeatedly. They don't really care if they lose ships, as long as they kill enough to get their free culture. They have a number of production bonuses that let them replenish their fleets quickly.
Cardassians: I sort of talked about them already - slow start, but they can make up for it later. They have a number of defensive techs that I was using to keep the other factions off my back while I caught up.

Other thoughts:
- There are a number of ambiguities in the rules, kind of like the Firefly rulebook. It's not the worst I've read, but I think a good FAQ is needed.
- The game was very well balanced. It was anyone's game at the end. (Except mine, but that was due to a few mistakes I made.)
- Each faction definitely has a unique flair and they feel right thematically. If you're a Star Trek fan, you'll love this game. If you're not a fan, you will still probably enjoy the game, as it's a nice streamlined 4X, but you'll be missing out a little.
- GF9 is very confident in the future of this game. I was told CBS is very happy as well and they are throwing their full support behind it. GF9 apparently had the next 3 years of content planned out.

I'll try to answer any specific questions you have, but I can't promise I'll get to them quickly. I also have pictures of the Ferengi expansion that was on display if people haven't already posted those.

EDIT: Put the Ferengi pics in the general thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.