4 Posts

Mega Civilization» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant : Beneficiary based on AST progression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loup-Yves CHEVALIER
France
flag msg tools
After a session in which I thoroughly abused the beneficiary system by always keeping the minimum number of city to progress on the AST while replenishing my hand of trade card using the power of my advances to finally win whistle, a player at the table suggested selecting the beneficiary using the AST progression as a basis, only using the number of cities to break the ties.

We're hesitating to use this variant for our future sessions. What do you think of it ?

PS : This game is awesome, The designers rocks !

PPS : My deepest excuses to all the grammar nazis, english is not my native language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The beneficiary is often the person who traded you the calamity, regardless of the number of cities.

You often pick secondary victims -- all things being equal I (and may others) pick the person doing the best.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dieucayote wrote:
After a session in which I thoroughly abused the beneficiary system by always keeping the minimum number of city to progress on the AST while replenishing my hand of trade card using the power of my advances to finally win whistle, a player at the table suggested selecting the beneficiary using the AST progression as a basis, only using the number of cities to break the ties.

We're hesitating to use this variant for our future sessions. What do you think of it ?

PS : This game is awesome, The designers rocks !

PPS : My deepest excuses to all the grammar nazis, english is not my native language.

Wouldn't that be at least as easy (or easier) to abuse? Wouldn't the benefits of regularly being the beneficiary outweigh the -5 point penalty for being one space behind -- while still being able to have maximum cities as well as buying trade cards via advances?

If anything, a more meaningful way of measuring the "last player" would be to keep track of current total score. That would prevent the sort of abuse I mention above, but it would be painful to recalculate each player's score every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loup-Yves CHEVALIER
France
flag msg tools
Brian McCarty wrote:
The beneficiary is often the person who traded you the calamity, regardless of the number of cities.

You often pick secondary victims -- all things being equal I (and may others) pick the person doing the best.

Not for the non-tradable ones, especially civil war and tyranny who were designed to balance the game by helping the weakest civilizations.

Becq Starforged wrote:

Wouldn't that be at least as easy (or easier) to abuse? Wouldn't the benefits of regularly being the beneficiary outweigh the -5 point penalty for being one space behind -- while still being able to have maximum cities as well as buying trade cards via advances?

If you want to be the last on the AST progression you will probably need to take more of a -15, -20 penalty on the last rounds. Huge price to pay for the possibility of gaining a few more units. I've never seen someone late on the AST track managing to win.
But if you're economy is not based on cities but on advances(to get more treasury and buy cards then later obtaining them freely with wonder of the world and provincial empire) then it can be worth it to ignore them to monopolize Civil War and Tyranny (generally the first come's out about three time and the second about two), this can be really helpful on the long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.