6 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Any expansions to avoid? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw in another topic that Reaper appears to be universally embraced as the first choice expansion, but I was wondering if any of them are considered stinkers to be avoided, or do they all contribute to making this a better game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most criticized expansion is the Dragon expansion, as it has the most diverse opinions as seen in my poll here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108068/do-you-dragon-expan...

My own opinions have changed on it, from dislike, to ok with variants, to very good when using the Harbinger, as it gives you a way to avoid Harbinger cards.

I still haven't gotten the newest one, almost bought it this month but I found it expensive for an expansion. But I do suggest playing all, and I do have preferences in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly what ^he^ said.
Buy based on what flavor you like, and what fits in your budget.

The small boxes are mostly just 'more of the same, but slightly different'. Exceptions:
Firelands: ups difficulty notably
Harbinger: ups difficulty, adds a doomsday timer.
Deep Realms: designed to be played with both Dungeon and The City, if you don't have both then skip it.

Of the 'board' expansions:
Dungeon: 'go big or die trying'
Highlands: 'go less big, but not too risky'
The City: 'lets go shopping!' (low on encounter difficulty)
Woodlands: definitely one of the most 'flavorful' expansions, slightly more difficult, very 'adventure-y'
Dragon: adds a lot of 'fiddly bits', playing by-the-book most people don't think the fiddly-ness is worth the additions, but if you love you some dragons...
Cataclysm: Talisman 2, Talisman Harder! (no personal experience, haven't read enough anecdotes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have everything before Firelands and nothing after, so can't speak on that stuff.

I don't use Dragon at all. When I do use some stuff from it, it's to build a modified Dungeon Deck. This deck usually has a higher degree of difficulty than would be standard, and allows me to keep enough draconic things in the game to keep the dragon based characters in the game.

I don't use the Highlands board, I probably use a few things from it, but it would be hard to quantify. Characters certainly.

I play with a modified Encounter Deck for the game. I went through the base game deck and recorded exactly what it contains. My modified deck is exactly twice as big, with the same distribution of things. For starters, nothing that exists in a purchase deck is in this deck, cause drawing "Helmet" is silly, but drawing a magic helmet is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
+1 (or -1?)

For skipping The Dragon expansion. I pick and choose different elements to take from each expansion. But from the Dragon expansion, literally the only component I use from the entire box is the neat little Crown Token to use with the 'Crown of Flame' ending.

Actually, I use the Crown Token with all the endings and just give it to the first person who lands on the center space, until they win. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dragon is the only expansion I don't own...and that's after working on Talisman for 3 years where I had a steep discount on FFG products. It is a very ambitious product and has a lot of cool ideas, but alters the game drastically, and adds a fair amount to play time usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.