Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Verduzco
Mexico
Mexico City
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started playing a few Ameritrash games (I used to be an Eurogeek) and I can say that I'm in love with Arcadia and Zombicide. I realized that I love having little plastic figures in my hands, rolling dice, drawing cards and see what happens... I also enjoy playing solo (Mice & Mystics and Mage Knight where my first "heavy" boardgames) and, for that reason, I decided to try Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror (with the first two expansions) and Elder Sign: Omens for iPad... I had a good time with all of them... So, why I'm writing this post?

Massive Darkness is on Late Pledge now, don't know for how long and I have 130 bucks saved for that game, I followed the KS campaign but I lost my job and I couldn't pledge... I was ready to late pledge, then I received a notification from youtube that FFG uploaded a MoM video, curious I watched it... OMFG! I liked a lot the idea... soloing MoM. I haven't played it but I wanted to try it, all my friends play Descent at the time so MoM wasn't for them... after watching the video I closed the Late Pledge Manager and searched the game. Amazon has it, 100 + 17 for shipping (I live in Mexico) for a grand total of 117 bucks... lots of money. I didn't pre-order it, I didn't pledge... I was in some kind of consumer crisis.

I know that all the FFG games drop bellow 80 bucks a few weeks or months later (Star Wars Rebellio & Forbidden Stars) but I'm of those Day 1 persons (yes, I have an issue) and now I'm asking you fellow gamers what do you think? Should I listen to my impulses and buy MoM day 1? should I get all the KS stuff for massive darkness (Don't bother telling my that I could sell all the KS stuff later because I won't) or should I wait a little longer and see how the games become cheaper. I love games that have lots of stuff but I realized that I payed 60 bucks per a piece of plastic with some data that are projected on my TV that makes me press some plastic buttons and think I'm shooting a dude that keeps saying: "Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau" all the freaking time... so... I'm OK if MoM isn't 4 kg worth of game components.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart money is on waiting. The reviews will start trickling in next week, and based on the hands-on commentaries you'll have a better idea as to its worth.

That said, I pre-ordered it after a day of reflection (maybe I didn't even wait that long), and I never touched 1E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fazakerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the original, pre ordered this. Cant wait for Thursday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.

(Actually that's a lie.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Verduzco
Mexico
Mexico City
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.
I know its a lie, you have popsicles

This is a pun in Spanish btw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mb
I don't know what it's like trying to get games in Mexico, but some US sites are already taking preorders for $85.

Personally I'm extremely excited for this game, but I'm waiting for reviews and for prices to settle down a bit. I mean, if I see it on Amazon this weekend for $80 with free shipping, I'll probably jump on that, but I don't mind giving it a little time to make sure it's a good one and I'm getting a decent price.

I like the new hotness, but I really dislike the idea of having games in my collection that I don't play, so I'm willing to wait a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the dilemma we've all been through, isn't it? Pull the trigger now and potentially regret it, or just be patient to give the reviews a chance to trickle in?

If money is tight, it just makes sense to wait until the reviews are in. Just think - a handful of days ago, you didn't even know this thing existed. So what's the harm in waiting a couple more weeks to be sure you don't waste your money? There is so much buzz around MoM 2ed, that as others have said, there will be a ton of reviews on it posted in short order. If they are favorable, go for it.

That said, my gut is telling me this is going to be a good one. MoM 1ed has been out a while. FFG recognized the shortcomings and numerous errors with the original version, even at one point issuing a public letter of apology. Through each of its large expansions, they tweaked and refined the rules and mechanics until finally, by the time Call of the Wild came out - they had hit their stride and finally meshed story, theme, and gameplay mechanics seamlessly. And then - there was suddenly no continued support for it. We were left wondering if FFG had just abandoned it. Well, now we know they went back to the drawing board to take everything they learned from the 1ed experience and amp it up for the 2ed. It's not like this is a brand new game exploring some novel mechanics. This is a revised version of a beloved game (steeped in theme) utilizing mechanics they've honed with a variety of other games. So whereas I advised waiting and watching, I'm also guessing this is a safe bet if you do decide to pull the trigger now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Verduzco
Mexico
Mexico City
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclodog wrote:
This is the dilemma we've all been through, isn't it? Pull the trigger now and potentially regret it, or just be patient to give the reviews a chance to trickle in?

If money is tight, it just makes sense to wait until the reviews are in. Just think - a handful of days ago, you didn't even know this thing existed. So what's the harm in waiting a couple more weeks to be sure you don't waste your money? There is so much buzz around MoM 2ed, that as others have said, there will be a ton of reviews on it posted in short order. If they are favorable, go for it.

That said, my gut is telling me this is going to be a good one. MoM 1ed has been out a while. FFG recognized the shortcomings and numerous errors with the original version, even at one point issuing a public letter of apology. Through each of its large expansions, they tweaked and refined the rules and mechanics until finally, by the time Call of the Wild came out - they had hit their stride and finally meshed story, theme, and gameplay mechanics seamlessly. And then - there was suddenly no continued support for it. We were left wondering if FFG had just abandoned it. Well, now we know they went back to the drawing board to take everything they learned from the 1ed experience and amp it up for the 2ed. It's not like this is a brand new game exploring some novel mechanics. This is a revised version of a beloved game (steeped in theme) utilizing mechanics they've honed with a variety of other games. So whereas I advised waiting and watching, I'm also guessing this is a safe bet if you do decide to pull the trigger now.

The thing with the reviews with hyped games is that they are some like 80% 8 or plus and the rest is lower... (Scythe, i.e.). I think that lots of people play the game with lots of expectations and one forces himself to like it... Or at least that's my experience with friends and groups. Sometimes I don't trust the reviewer not because I don't believe his word but they can't transmit the feeling... unless they post a walkthrough. I don't know, after seeing the app in my tablet I decided to jump onto the hype train and order it. I know that I'll enjoy it, maybe won't be among my top 10 but I'll enjoy it nevertheless.

Thanks all for sharing his thoughts! See you on the other side of insanity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.