Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to play this last night, and I was sorely disappointed. The unsung hero of Codenames is its word list, chosen to have words with multiple distinct meanings, and the same care was not put into the word list for this version. For example, how many different meanings do "gigolo" or "vasectomy" have?

There are some good words in here that would fit in the base game (e.g. weed, bitch). I may go through the deck and selectively add words to the original that I feel would fit in. But as is, I'd strongly recommend against just shuffling this wholesale into your codenames set because there's no way to differentiate the cards and there's basically no good way to separate the sets after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't about how many meanings the words themselves have, but how you as a clue giver can tie many words together.

I haven't played it with the new version, and I'll reserve judgement until I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

It's got nothing to do with how many different meanings a word has. The base game contains many words with singular meanings. It's all about how many different ways you might clue the word. In this respect, your example "vasectomy" might be clued using several different words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
I also would probably not mix the cards with the base game. Not for the reason you give, but to avoid having embarrassing words cropping up in a family game.

Anyway, did anyone say that the cards should or could be mixed together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Word with multiple meanings offer more ways to give clues, which generally speaking makes the game more interesting. There are some words in the original game which have only one meaning (e.g. "leprechaun"), but they tend to be harder to tie into multi-word clues for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed this today, and the first thing I did was to take a look at the word list and see what I was in for. I was mostly hoping for double entendres that would mingle well with the base game due to the whole "multiple meanings" idea.

My estimation is that about 60% of these cards have superficially clean double entrendres on both sides. You could slip these cards into the main game without raising too many eyebrows.

The remaining 40% have at least one side that has only one "raunchy" meaning.

Only about 5% of the cards are single-meaning "raunchy" on both sides. These are the cards you definitely don't want to mingle.

For the other 35%, you could always flip the "bad" cards over to the one "clean" side if you weren't worried about your audience seeing the raunchy clue up front.

And the list is heavily sexual, but there's quite a number of alcohol, drug and scatological references as well.

I'm likely to mark my cards so that I can mingle the appropriate ones and then separate them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Syvanis wrote:
It isn't about how many meanings the words themselves have, but how you as a clue giver can tie many words together.

If a word has multiple meanings then it stands to reason that there will be more ways to draw connections between it and other words, does it not?

It is most certainly part of the reason some of the words made the cut for Codenames. Another is having a distribution of words that all fall into similar categories which can both make connections easier (when they are all colored for your team) or more difficult (when they aren't). Not diluting that distribution is another reason to not mix cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

If a word has multiple meanings then it stands to reason that there will be more ways to draw connections between it and other words, does it not?

It is most certainly part of the reason some of the words made the cut for Codenames. Another is having a distribution of words that all fall into similar categories which can both make connections easier (when they are all colored for your team) or more difficult (when they aren't). Not diluting that distribution is another reason to not mix cards.

This. It's not just that words have multiple meanings. Most words do. It's if words can be related to each other. This is why I don't expect the two sets to really work well with each other. Look at the words in the original. Many are location based, or food based, or animal based, and such. You can definitely see the themes in the original. This new version has a bit more focused themes thus some words might only have one meaning. The themes are different so I don;t expect the words to work too well together.

I do plan on keeping both in the same box, but I do not plan on mixing the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm we get some pretty wild and interesting clues in standard codenames.

Given the words I've seen so far from this edition I'm not seeing an issue with mixing.

!!!! It certainly depends on the people you are playing with though, as does normal/original codenames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Got to play this last night, and I was sorely disappointed. The unsung hero of Codenames is its word list, chosen to have words with multiple distinct meanings, and the same care was not put into the word list for this version. For example, how many different meanings do "gigolo" or "vasectomy" have?

There are some good words in here that would fit in the base game (e.g. weed, bitch). I may go through the deck and selectively add words to the original that I feel would fit in. But as is, I'd strongly recommend against just shuffling this wholesale into your codenames set because there's no way to differentiate the cards and there's basically no good way to separate the sets after.

It's not really the meanings that matter but the linkage given the other words involved.

Clues:

Balls 2
Male 2
Sex 2
Penis 2
Banana 2
Dildo 2
Controversial 2
Etc.

So there are easy options for linkage (I could go on). It's not the immediate linkage that's the problem in this game, but the exclusive linkage. I need to make sure those clues don't also apply to other words on the table (Especially the assassin).

You certainly get hard tables in this game as the clue giver, but I'm not seeing where these words pose a problem in particular. Still if someone preferred to keep certain words out, again I can't see any negative impact from that, as there are already plenty of combinations for words.

Now the question is, do adult themes increase the gameplay? Meh. Maybe with the right crowd, but it's really just the same game which you will enjoy or won't regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bellamy
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The adult themes may bring over some fans of Card Against Humanity.

I'd suggest a list of sets of cards with similar themes in each set that could be substituted with each other instead of wholesale adding the two sets together. Although I would add that both games have surely been tested to work well as is, only to do this if you've played the games a lot and would like to change things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tinpot_creos wrote:
I would add that both games have surely been tested to work well as is

Why do you assume that? My understanding is that Vlaada is unhappy that this edition was created, which would imply to me that it was made at Target's behest, which would further imply that it didn't get the same level of polish that the original did (and that's reflected in my initial plays)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Leeson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Your understanding? Do you have a source for that anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what I've heard. Only actual evidence is that this edition doesn't have him listed as a designer (on the cover or on BGG, at least; I don't have the rulebook handy so I can't check there). That seems pretty damning to me.

I'm sure he's not stupid enough to publicly put in writing that he's unhappy with a spinoff of one of his games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
...There are some words in the original game which have only one meaning (e.g. "leprechaun")...

In Ireland we have 500 words for leprechaun whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That explains my half-Irish half-Inuit friend who only ever talks about snow and leprechauns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
That explains my half-Irish half-Inuit friend who only ever talks about snow and leprechauns.

When would one ever have the need to talk about anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
The first boardgame designed by Alan Smithee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris holmes
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
tool wrote:
There are some words in the original game which have only one meaning (e.g. "leprechaun"), but they tend to be harder to tie into multi-word clues for this reason.

Again, to re-emphasize, it's not about a word having one meaning vs multiple meanings, it's how many words can you tie into this word. Leprechaun could be described with green, lucky, charm, gold, small, fictional, rainbow, cereal, and I'm sure many others. Those words all can tie into other words on the table easily, and if not, you just give a clue that applies to one card. I haven't seen all of the words in undercover yet, but I'm sure if you are creative, it shouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdholmes wrote:
tool wrote:
There are some words in the original game which have only one meaning (e.g. "leprechaun"), but they tend to be harder to tie into multi-word clues for this reason.

Again, to re-emphasize, it's not about a word having one meaning vs multiple meanings, it's how many words can you tie into this word. Leprechaun could be described with green, lucky, charm, gold, small, fictional, rainbow, cereal, and I'm sure many others. Those words all can tie into other words on the table easily, and if not, you just give a clue that applies to one card. I haven't seen all of the words in undercover yet, but I'm sure if you are creative, it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, you've described how to play and it is true the game works fine with single-meaning words. But the classic game does feature a great many words with multiple meanings and it isn't inconsequential that they are there. Sure, words with multiple meanings can be clued in more ways than many single definition words, but that's only part of it. A given word with multiple meanings will make a first impression on some players as one thing, and on some as another. This is interesting and comes into play in almost every game I've played. Sometimes the guessers don't consider a second meaning of a word and so never connect it to the clue. I am usually good about studying the words I'm clue-ing for multiple meanings, but less so others, and I often give a clue that matches one of the other team's words, just a meaning I hadn't considered. So while the game functions with any word list, it is as great as it is because of a carefully constructed word list, and that list succeeds in part because of its many multiple meaning words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.