Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious.

I'm in t he process of ordering Russian Railroads, and wanted to know if this expansion was a "must have" for initial games, or whether it introduces tweaks to the gameplay that wouldn't be recommended till players were experienced.

p.s. This will likely be a two player only title for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Just curious.

I'm in t he process of ordering Russian Railroads, and wanted to know if this expansion was a "must have" for initial games, or whether it introduces tweaks to the gameplay that wouldn't be recommended till players were experienced.

p.s. This will likely be a two player only title for me.
Hey there, Enon,

Russian Railroads is really a complete game of its own for a newbie. Like Caylus, another worker placement game, very little is randomized during setup, only some engineers. This is enough to generate adequate replayability that will give you and your significant other/gaming partner quite some plays.

The issue with the base game is that the opening moves in a round and the long-term strategies tend to become more-or-less scripted after repeated games. The first major expansion, Russian Railroads: German Railroads, is more than enough to deal with the replayability issues, as it adds new racing/replayability elements, the variable player boards and the foundries.

Nevertheless, if you don't want to get the expansion from the get-go, the Russian Railroads: Mini-Expansion is a viable alternative. While the 4 engineers do enhance a bit the game's replayability, the 5 bonus tokens are the real deal. The opening moves in the base game revolve around racing for the bonus cards. With this expansion, a new racing element is added and may become a viable must-grab-first target.

TL;DR; not mandatory, but recommended, as you'll get it sooner or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.