Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I'm not a thorough reader of rulebooks "when I already know how to play," I came up with a solitare game.

Every turn I rolled a 1d3 and put that card from the base of the pyramid in my opponent's tomb. (If the middle card was chosen, I rolled again to see which way the crumble happened.)

Otherwise, play normally.

Then compare the scores at the end.

On my three tries the scores were:
92/64
79/109
102/59

Edit: bot/me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems a bit odd as I would expect strategic play to beat random chance, especially as its often possible for the human to acquire more than one card each turn. The only mitigating factor I can think of is that the bot can always afford the card it "wants". Of course, the bot also gets to entomb everything whereas you usually have 3-7 cards leftover at the end of the game.

There are two cards in Afterlife that, when played, allow your opponent to acquire a card. Does the bot entomb those cards as well or do they just sit in its "deck"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not claiming to be an expert for one thing (as evidenced by my scores).

I thought that the bot getting to entomb everything would be a decent balance to the player thinking rather than moving randomly. And (again subject to my poor play) it seems roughly competitive.

I generally ignored the parts of the cards that affected opponents good and bad. So the bot never drew, entombed or lost anything. (that's not a total rule, because for Goddess Hut, I randomly took one for its tomb from the lowest cost alternatives.)

I didn't play the one that let's a player to the left pick the card taken for effect.

It didn't come up, but I figured that if I wanted to give him a card in tomb or discard pile for another effect that I would just put it into his tomb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card I'm thinking of is the one where each player gains (not entombs) a card from the boneyard. You would have to execute the card because giving the second card to the bot would affect the top card the next time you use it. This tends to be a very useful card in the late game as you can Shabti a high cost card then use the dagger to acquire it. This is one of my favorite combos in Afterlife as it is otherwise difficult to purchase 9 and 10 cost cards using only two cards from your deck. Its also possible to junk your opponents deck if the boneyard is set up correctly as they cannot refuse to take the card. However, if the bot gets to entomb this card for free, I would have to rethink its usefulness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play that card, but my "plan" was to have the bot entomb the second card.
(But thanks, I'll remember that combo for my next multiplayer game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott -

Thanks for your solo variant. I'll try it myself.

You might like to try the "Solo Player Variant" that you can find here: https://www.alderac.com/valleyofthekings/valleyofthekings-so...

Like your game, it simulates a human opponent.

Tom Cleaver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.