Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Insanity is where this game was leading me; The rabbit hole was teasing how angry i would become. 'Sometimes the board is a setup for a instant loss' i pondered as the damn success dice get thrown across my house! - well let me try to explain.. ..
-
It had been awhile since i played so i thought a nice Sunday morning would be a good place to bring back out some solo game plays. I quickly re-read a few pages (mainly weather phase) and began my journey. Set-up is always quick and i was placing pieces into the adventure instantly. I knew the first play might be a little slow; but i am competitive, and being a great player at this title i expected nothing more than a close game to a win.
The cards were relentless and almost mocking the moves i had made prior to the new day, and the first game i survived until the 11th day.. .. sad (playtime: 94 minutes)
-
Second play and the new cards were a little lighter than the first game. I had began rolling a little better and the tiles to set my camp on made life easy. The hatchet and map with a trail being built to collect more wood was a big key and staying somewhere safe to build my main shelter was a plus; i was Barely able to place the remaining 5 wood into the bonfire on day 12 before my turn. Crazy win. (playtime: 63 minutes)
-
Third play was very strange and even by using the explorers ability to pre-search the land tiles. I was being put in very bad positions with wood being abused by the cards drawn and extra weather effects (days 3-5). Plus resources were being blacked out and i was not able to collect for the days needs. There was also a Howling in the Woods card i believe that put a Panther (in hunting deck) guaranteed to attack me on day 3, having no wood to make a weapon and yet to find mountains... . Day six i was Dead even with using extra food in the pot (+1 health). . .. (playtime: 22 minutes)
-
Fourth play was an absolute stomping, The tiles destroyed my startup; Every F'n dice roll i was getting morale tokens and could not get a Y to save me. I was going no where on the wood pile and at day 7, 4 clouds with 2 snow storms showed up and it was game over again.. . . i grabbed all the success dies and chucked them like a 10 year old would do in anger, raising my fists to the sky!.. . Think i'm done with this game for a few months before i check myself in somewhere... . . (playtime: 20 minutes)
-
sometimes the cards are set and there's nothing you can do ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kamin
Poland
Cracov
flag msg tools
mb
Oh yeah, the mechanics can be really mercilles. From my behaviour I can see that in planing I always expect medicore dice throws (ok, sometimes I'm more optimistic ). Maybe the key is to expect the worse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmb
What scenarios did you play? I've been playing this last month and will continue. Brutal game. (And I really have a hard time selling it to my group or others to play - outside of it being a "Slow Agonizing Death on a Desert Island.")

Do you have a strategy you begin with? Or is that scenario dependent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I equate this game to the super-hot, aloof woman that intimidates you to approach her, but once you get past her complexities and eccentricities, you're in love...hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I equate this game to the super-hot, aloof woman that intimidates you to approach her, but once you get past her complexities and eccentricities, you're in love...hard.

And then she eats your flesh and leaves your bones bleaching in the island sun for cannibals to use as primitive tools, I assume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's what makes her super-hot. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this up recently, and it sounds like the OP was playing the Castaways scenario. That's the only one I've played, but I've done it three times with 2 players and once with 3. 3 was brutal. Seemed like we never had a chance. But I won two of the 2 player attempts, both on the 12th day (one of those with one heart left on each character, LOL).

My wife is not a gamer, and will only try the lighter stuff. But she took to RC because I sold it as a story game. It doesn't matter whether you win or lose--you WILL have stories to tell (either of woe or of joy!). Not a lot of games provide that kind of experience. Heh. I also introduced my gamer nephew to it, and he had a ball. We were relentlessly harassed by a jaguar through one game, but we had one perfect round where everything went our way (around the sixth day), and it was glorious. The resources we gained were meager, and we narrowly avoided bad weather, but it felt like killing an end boss in a video game. Yes, RC has beaten us down, but in the best way possible. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.