$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.97

7,784 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Well, I played a game of Smash Up today with three people overall and tried out a deck that I've been meaning to for some time: Time-travelling Elder Things.

Turns out that this time, after a few rounds nobody had fun anymore. I managed to deliver madness HARD. The Oracle at Delphi was one of the starting bases and allowed me by minion-trigger to reveal the top card of my deck and draw it if it's an action. This base in combination with Repeater Perfect (who allows you to put an action card from the discard on your deck) and madness actions filled my opponents' hands incredibly quickly (even after the base was gone). So quickly and relentlessly in fact - play madness-draw-extra-action, play repeater, put madness back on top, draw it through Oracle, play madness-draw-extra-action again, flicker repeater through final action, draw madness again with the next turns almost the same with recasts from the graveyard and such -, that the entire session consisted of "imbalanced"-comments.

The thing is, while it felt VERY powerful at times, I'm not into eagerly shouting "imba, OP" and such and wanted to get some opinions on this. I feel that both fractions have enough weaknesses - generally weak minions, no mobility, almost no minion destruction - to compensate for strong re-enter plays and filling up opponents on madness. But I also think that maybe a few options for all other factions factions to interact with madness would be making for a more coherent game. Maybe somebody'd like to chime in.

I won with Time-Travelling Elder Things.
My opponents wielded Tornado-Bearriders and Dragon-Shapeshifters. At some point they must've had 10+ madness cards in their decks each. They didn't use them to draw cards but often used the discard-option on the madness cards. The end result were -4VP and -3VP through madness.

Any input on this is welcome. Do you feel that this particular deck-combo is extremely strong and that only very specific strategies/decks (which?) counter it if at all?

Cheers,
Morty (who is now banned from using this combination ever again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found most of the cthulu set no fun, and don't use that set when randomise starting. The elder thing zombies destroyed both me and a freind enought that he will not play the game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
I have found most of the cthulu set no fun, and don't use that set when randomise starting. The elder thing zombies destroyed both me and a freind enought that he will not play the game again.

Honestly, the OCS is pretty manegable ASIDE from the Elder Things.

They're the most solitare-like deck in all of Smash Up: You're not trying to win, you just make other people lose. Certain factions (like Dragons, Dinosaurs, Bear Calvary, etc.) have no way to remove the madness from their hand without crippling their turn. Combine that with how Elder Things can usually have other players draw more than 1 Madness, have ways to recycle minions that do so, and generally gain card advantage off of their other cards, you get something incredibly frustrating to play against. I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't play Mi-Go or Touch of Madness (or Begin The Summoning to get him back since I'd still have an action). Price of Power results in gigantic power swings, Byahkee counters people trying to bail where you are, Dunwitch Horror gives them random breaking potential...the list goes on, but in short they have almost everything.

So yeah, the Elder Things are the only "banned" faction at my table. But with them out of the picture, the OCS isn't that bad. Miskatonic & Cultists are a bit tricky to use, but they're plenty of fun. I definitely recommend putting Cultists with a more aggressive deck like Dragons, Sharks or Werewolves. Miskatonic is great at adding consistency/extra plays to deck that have a harder time pulling off their strategy, like Ghosts, Pirates & Kitties.

I don't blame you if you seal away the Elder Things away too, but definitely give OCS another chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.