29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good games for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Cooper
msg tools
So I've been playing a lot of games with my brother lately, and were a little sick of everything we know or have (gin rummy, 21, GOPS, Stratego, Risk, and Monopoly mostly). So, do you guys have any suggestions, I don't even know where to start. Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork yes its a quilting theme but it's phenomenal as a strictly 2 player game. Try it... trust me.

Also Hive if you're looking for a chess equivalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me offer these:

Memoir '44
The Castles of Burgundy
Dominion

All of them are readily available on Amazon right now for $27 to $28 each.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur

Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
First, check out some of the good gateway games like Ticket to Ride, Sushi Go Party!, and Carcassonne. Beyond that I would recommend 7 Wonders Duel (This is specifically a 2 player only game), Splendor, and Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game.

With so little to go on it is hard to recommend something specific to you so I went with games that I and plenty of others enjoy. If you want to take a gamble and try a cooperative game then I would check out Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
Jaipur is a solid two player card game. Splendor is quite good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of games, both inprint and out of print.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206691/you-and-me-and-cof...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hive
+1 7 Wonders Duel
+1 Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
King & Assassins in which one player is the king and his knights trying to arrest, or kill the assassins. The other player is the assassins hidden among the townsfolk attempting to kill the king.

2 de Mayo is an asymmetrical Area Control game fought between the Spanish, and French in the time of Napoleon.

Drako is an asymmetrical card driven fighting game. One player is a dragon, the other controls three dwarves who are trying to kill it.

Sun Tzu is another area control game with interesting card play. Players are vying for five provinces of China. You really need to try to get into your opponent's head in this one.

Yomi which uses a paper-rock-scissors mechanic, and styles itself after the old Street Fighter, or Mortal Kombat type video games.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation takes the familiar Stratigo mechanics, adds the Lord of the Rings theme, and a few neat twists with card play.

BattleLore (Second Edition) is a fun tactical war game with a fantasy theme.

Mr. Jack is a deduction game, where one player is Jack the Ripper trying to escape, while the other player is the detective attempting to figure out Jack's identity and apprehend him.

Onitama is an Abstract Strategy game. Think, chess, but quick, easy, and fun.

These are all great games.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recommend you start with some of these:

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Pandemic
Splendor
Takenoko
Star Realms
Forbidden Island
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Can't Stop
Coloretto
Hanabi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chanel Nye
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Star Realms is a two player deck building game involving battles in space - this is a super fun game and the replayability is intense! I've probably sat down and played 5 or 6 times in a row before.

Android: Netrunner is also a two player game - I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it's another good game and it's on my list to try out!

Mice and Mystics is a unique, story-telling dungeon crawler that can have up to four players, but since you're controlling so many characters it's almost easier having just two so everyone can be involved each turn.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig is also a good two-player game because it allows each person enough time to build their castle and take time to make their decisions whereas that wouldn't work as well with multiple players. Super fun game though! Gameplay is really smooth and the design is really well done.

Lastly, Letters from Whitechapel is a really good two-player game, especially if you know the other person well enough to kind of guess what decisions they're making. It has an eery theme (being based on the Jack the Ripper murders), but if you can get past that, or really like the theme, then it's a ton of fun!

Let us know which games you try out and which ones you like/would recommend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG !

In order to make a good recommendation:

• What games do you like ? Why ?
• What games do you dislike ? Why ?
• How long do you want to play ?
• Are you interested in certain themes ?
• What do you think about a certain luck factor in games ?
• How old are you two ?
• How much money do you want to spend ?
• Are there certain limitations (language, table space, ect.) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tons of great 2-player games. Since I am not sure if you want something focused on combat or something different, I'll just go with a little bit of everything. Here are some of my most played and enjoyed ones:

Beasty Bar this is a very mean short game where you are trying to get your animals to bar while preventing your opponent's animals to get there. By eating them. Or by disgusting them with your skunk so they willingly leave. Or simply by jumping ahead to the line. Don't let yourself be fooled by the cutesy artwork, it is a vicious, blood thirsty game. And it takes like 20 min and can be played up to 4 players.

Battle Sheep very easy abstract game where your sheep "fight" for supremacy over the pasture. Well, they don't actually fight, more like get in the way of each other. But it is great and fun and also quick. Plays up to 4, too.

Evolution is a lot meatier than the abovementioned games but still not too rules-heavy (and the rules are quite intuitive). In this game, you basically play "god" - you create various species and give them multitudes of traits. Your species can either be herbivores or vicious carnivores. The winner is the player who eats the most food Plays in 60 min max. One of my favourite games of all times. Plays up to 6 but 2 is one of my favourite player counts.

Alhambra or Carcassonne or Cacao or Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King - all similar games in complexity and how they are played. You can just pick the one that has the best theme for you These are tile-laying games where you build something - castle, landscape or cacao plantations. Alhambra and Carcassonne are modern classics now but that doesn't mean the other 2 are worse, they are just newer All take around 1 h to play and can be played up to various player counts.

Takenoko is very clever and nice looking game without direct confrontation where you are trying to grow bambus, feed panda or prevent it from feeding (depends on your quests) and build a japannesse garden. The theme maybe doesn't seem like much for 2 guys but trust me, the game is great. Also around 1 h and up to 4 players.

Tiny Epic Galaxies, Race for the Galaxy, Eminent Domain - you can't go wrong with either of them. Although mechanically they are very different, they all take 1 h and they are all space exploration games where you collect resources, trade with them to acquire victory points and colonize or attack planets.

If you are interested in history, Twilight Struggle is an amazing, purely 2-player game where one person plays as USA and the other as Russia during Cold War. It has been no. 1 for a very long time and deservedly so. It can go up to 2.5 hours, though.

If you want something kind of similar to Risk but in space and better , take a look at Nexus Ops. Takes around 1.5 h and it is very combat-heavy.

If you would like to build you civilizations, while sometimes destroying your opponent's, Imperial Settlers is an amazing game. 1.5 h.

And last but not least, Quadropolis is a game in which you build city. It is very clever, beatiful and intuitive. 1 h.

Let us know if you end up getting something and your thoughts on that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
There are some great video top 10 list by boardgame reviewers. I would maybe suggest co-op games where you play together against the games "ai".
Also co-op games usually scales well to different player counts.
Anyway her are a couple of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkpFzubA-K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhUn2Z12tmo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:

(...)

This. Spend a little time thinking about what aspects of games you like and dislike, each player separately. Do you share hobbies or other interests?

Are you ready to try various different types of games to learn about your likes and dislikes?

Will it be for strictly 2 players, or might there be friends you would like to include sometimes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play a lot of two player games.

Patchwork
Jaipur
Dead Man's Draw
Ticket to Ride - Africa and India/Switzerland are two expansion maps we enjoy as two player maps. Nordic Countries is a good stand a lone TTR for 2 players.
Archaeology: The New Expedition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, welcome to bgg!

Just a head's up that many of the games here will require a bit of time to learn. If you follow our recommendations to the game's individual page, there will sometimes be a video to teach you how to play if you don't like the idea of reading rules. Videos and written reviews will give you a better idea of wether the game interests you before you buy it.

A few suggestions of mine (sorry, the direct we links don't seem to be working right now):

Star Wars risk: This has risk in the title, but isnt actually risk. It's a two player conflict game that pits the rebels vs the empire in a three way race. Quite fun and should be easy to find.

BattleCon: there are a few different versions of this. I would suggest War of Indines. It's basically a card game version of street fighter, with a large variety of different fighters that all feel unique. It's got no luck, all strategy (which some people like, but others don't ). I think it's amazing.

Roma/ Roma 2/ Babel: these are all two player card games that are fun to play that involve lots of special powers and conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Cooper
msg tools
Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys! All of those look really fun, and I'll have my work cut out for me picking one to start with.

Kyur wrote:
Welcome to BGG !

• How old are you two ?
• How much money do you want to spend ?

I intentionally left it pretty open as not to narrow it down too much because I have like no experience, but here we go.

•I like Stratego and gun rummy a lot, because of different reasons. Stratego is more strategy heavy, which I like, but gin rummy is sort of quick and fun.
•I really hate Sorry! and games like that which are super simple and "shallow" feeling.
•Time length isn't massive, but quick games are always easier to squeeze in more often, so...
•Really don't care about theme, just good gameplay.
•I'm not a fan of games where luck is everything, but a little bit of chance is okay.
•I'm 17 and my brother is a year younger.
•The cheaper, the better, I guess.
•Uh, I guess nothing profain. Also, we can't take up the dining table for like a massive amount of time.

Thanks for taking the time to ask those questions

Thank you all for taking the time to give such good advice, reading through everything has been fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone already suggested, Hive is a good 2-player game. It's also small and relatively inexpensive.

Neuroshima Hex is also great as a 2-player game (it says it can be played w/more, but I've found it horrible with more than two).

Of course, Twilight Struggle and Star Wars Rebellion are both great two-player games, but both are long (comparable to things like Hive and Neuroshima Hex), and Star Wars Rebellion takes up a lot of space.

IMO, though, they're two of the best games there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Its properly a good idea to start off with games that are a easy to get in to, if you are not used to reading long complex rulebooks it can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning. Video list really helped me out in the beginning, so again here's a list:

Top 10 Casual Two Player Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Tavernier
Belgium
ELLEZELLES
Hainaut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Patchwork& Hive.

Further I love these 2players: 7Wonders Duel, Taiga, Blockers!, Lost Cities, Siberia (the card game!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft is another to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acorn Man wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to ask those questions

Thanks for answering them. thumbsup

Jaipur

2 players (competitive)
Very easy rules
Great components
Good balance between luck and strategy
Language independent
Small box
Low price

E Hand management, set collecting

Jaipur is the game I could have recommended blindly right from the beginning. It's very easy to learn and play, has a fast flow and strikes a good balance between strategy and luck. The components are great and while it does look like a more casual game at first, the game unfolds its depth after the first 2-3 games.

Dominion

2-4 players (competitive)
Easy rules
High replay value
Spiel des Jahres 2009 winner
The quintessential deckbuilding game that influence the entire hobby

E Deckbuilding, hand management, engine building

Dominion has no low price, but I still recommend it, as the replay value is very high and it plays brilliantly with 2 players. It's a game which can be quite addictive and keep you busy for a long time, if you like the game's deckbuilding aspect. And if you want more: there are many expansions available, with each expansion taking the game into a certain direction.

Memoir '44

2 players (competitive)
Relatively easy rules
Great components (modular board, lots of miniatures)
High replay value

E Hand management, dice rolling, commanding units

Memoir '44 is a really nice gateway wargame that is easy to learn and teach (recommended minimum age: 8), but offers enough strategy to be interesting to newcomers and avid board gamers alike. The game looks great on the table and the replay value is high, thanks to the many scenarios. If you want more, countless expansions are available.

Battle Line

2 players (competitive)
Very easy rules
Small box
Low price

E Hand management, bluffing, area control

Battle Line is highly competitive card game which is easy to learn, but hard to master. You are playing cards of different colours and values in different locations, trying to form the best "formations" to take over the location while also trying to block off the enemy from doing the same. There's a nice level of risk management and bluffing involved here and the competition can be pretty fierce -- so if you are looking for a duelling game, check it out. I like to describe Battle Line as a "knife fight inside a telephone booth".

I have not played them yet, but I also recommend doing some reasearch on Hive if you like abstract strategy games or Patchwork if you like puzzly Tetris-esque tile placement games.

If you like brain-burning deduction games, definitely check out Le Fantôme de l'Opéra.

If you like engine-building games, San Juan (second edition) can be great.

Another great abstract strategy game for 2 players is Onitama.

And if you are looking for a thematic, cooperative dice-based game with easy rules and really great components, Elder Sign could be a winner for you. Box and price are relatively small here.

A lot of options, so good luck with your research and let us know which game(s) you eventually bought !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Weber
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars

a step up from Stratego in so many ways, but with some of the depth of Chess. The game also allows for mixing and matching the factions to see who works best for you.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
disasterwargamer disasterwargamer

Texas
msg tools
A slightly different thought

Ogre - the cheap Microgames

One of Columbia or Worthington Games Block Games might give you the most Stratego like feel

Perhaps Liberty or Hammer of the Scots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.