GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 106.07

6,620 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
So our first attempt was aborted with an ice cream headache with rule confusion.
Thanks to all the great help we got thru a complete mission...to failure lol. But nonetheless we both enjoyed the process!

Not 110% we did it right as it ended what felt..."funky" so here is a simple recap and if anyone could once again share insights, it would be appreciated!

So all seemed basically moving along smoothly having moved to mission 2 from spider and flies.
It was then that things fell apart..it seemed we constantly got locations to travel to that piled up at the end we had 13 threat in the staging area so for several rounds before I had committed everything and she most everything to the quest but nothing stopped the bleeding.
Also we both had a slew of event cards in our hand we didn't seem to need so ended up running out of resources in the pool.

I felt good about the phases..sequence and combat but the ending felt like we did something incorrectly.

The only questions I have was the one time my wife healed my hero with Daughter of Nimrodel. It was during an action phase and she simply exhausted her card and I healed two damage. That only occurred once in this game.
Lastly it seemed odd that both our threat moved up always the same ..at refresh and during quest failure.
Are they always somewhat tied together or did I muck something up?

Thanks again so much! I'm pretty sure I'll be close to finishing the fundamental errors then I hope to be able to search for other issues and not bug you guys too much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly is the question in regard to Daughter of Nimrodel? As long as you used her action in a valid action window, you did it correctly.

As for threat, both players threat will go up during refresh and if questing is failed. You can use card abilities, like Gandalf's enter play ability to decrease threat by 5, which can change the relative threat of the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Which sphere's were you using? The Spirit sphere has a few handy allies for dealing with locations .. there's also Secret Path in the Lore sphere which helps questing against locations with high threat for a turn..

I would encourage you to go back through your decks and check if you have enough firepower to mitigate against 'location build up'. The other strategy is not to become to complacent to locations arriving/building up (sometimes it's just impossible to halt them if you get a bad run of cards out of the encounter deck, admittedly), but as best you can, try to travel the hell out of the locations as frequently as you can, particularly if they are high threat, so they don't clog up the staging area too quickly, before you know it, you can be suffocating under a slew of unwanted scenery on the horizon! Just what Sauron wants .. !!

I would add that "Managing" the staging area is a key aspect of the game in my opinion ..

As best you can, you want to feel like you are keeping it under control, and if you're sensing that you're losing control of it, then you need to maybe take a turn to deal with it, asap .. (which may be costly in the combat phase, it's all about balance).

I love this game!!! Such a refined mechanic to give you TONS to think about each turn ! Best of luck in your next attempt , and keep persevering, after a number of plays the strategy element of the game regards pacing and prioritising begins to fall into place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to all those locations piling up, causing Threat and making you unable to quest for enough points to make progress on your active location (which means you can't travel to a new one and get it out of the staging area) -- what you experienced is something "fondly" referred to as "location lock". It's less likely to happen in a one-player game when you're normally revealing just one card each Quest phase. But in a 2-player game, and especially in a 3- or 4-player game, location lock is a real threat. (Heh.) The first quest in the game, being relatively light on enemies and therefore more location-heavy than the average quest, does lend itself to location lock more than other quests do.

The best way to deal with that problem is to have someone play a Spirit deck so you can get out a Northern Tracker. The Northern Tracker can put a progress token on each location in the staging area every time he quests, so after 3-4 rounds of Northern Tracker questing, you'll have knocked most of those locations out of the staging area. Other Core Set cards that can help you with location lock are Strength of Will, Lórien Guide, and Snowbourn Scout -- and also Blade of Gondolin and Legolas. (Because their ability acts just like placing progress tokens after questing successfully, and so if you have an active location they'll put progress tokens on it, helping you explore it to get it out of the way so you can travel next round. This may not be obvious to a beginner, but it's true.)

So Northern Tracker your way out of location lock, and use Legolas to supplement your questing, and you should hopefully be well on your way to winning against the first quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
rmunn wrote:
With regard to all those locations piling up, causing Threat and making you unable to quest for enough points to make progress on your active location (which means you can't travel to a new one and get it out of the staging area) -- what you experienced is something "fondly" referred to as "location lock". It's less likely to happen in a one-player game when you're normally revealing just one card each Quest phase. But in a 2-player game, and especially in a 3- or 4-player game, location lock is a real threat. (Heh.) The first quest in the game, being relatively light on enemies and therefore more location-heavy than the average quest, does lend itself to location lock more than other quests do.

The best way to deal with that problem is to have someone play a Spirit deck so you can get out a Northern Tracker. The Northern Tracker can put a progress token on each location in the staging area every time he quests, so after 3-4 rounds of Northern Tracker questing, you'll have knocked most of those locations out of the staging area. Other Core Set cards that can help you with location lock are Strength of Will, Lórien Guide, and Snowbourn Scout -- and also Blade of Gondolin and Legolas. (Because their ability acts just like placing progress tokens after questing successfully, and so if you have an active location they'll put progress tokens on it, helping you explore it to get it out of the way so you can travel next round. This may not be obvious to a beginner, but it's true.)

So Northern Tracker your way out of location lock, and use Legolas to supplement your questing, and you should hopefully be well on your way to winning against the first quest!

As always much thanks for the valuable information very cool !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
What exactly is the question in regard to Daughter of Nimrodel? As long as you used her action in a valid action window, you did it correctly.

As for threat, both players threat will go up during refresh and if questing is failed. You can use card abilities, like Gandalf's enter play ability to decrease threat by 5, which can change the relative threat of the players.

Thanks Dave!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
JimBGG wrote:
Which sphere's were you using? The Spirit sphere has a few handy allies for dealing with locations .. there's also Secret Path in the Lore sphere which helps questing against locations with high threat for a turn..

I would encourage you to go back through your decks and check if you have enough firepower to mitigate against 'location build up'. The other strategy is not to become to complacent to locations arriving/building up (sometimes it's just impossible to halt them if you get a bad run of cards out of the encounter deck, admittedly), but as best you can, try to travel the hell out of the locations as frequently as you can, particularly if they are high threat, so they don't clog up the staging area too quickly, before you know it, you can be suffocating under a slew of unwanted scenery on the horizon! Just what Sauron wants .. !!

I would add that "Managing" the staging area is a key aspect of the game in my opinion ..

As best you can, you want to feel like you are keeping it under control, and if you're sensing that you're losing control of it, then you need to maybe take a turn to deal with it, asap .. (which may be costly in the combat phase, it's all about balance).

I love this game!!! Such a refined mechanic to give you TONS to think about each turn ! Best of luck in your next attempt , and keep persevering, after a number of plays the strategy element of the game regards pacing and prioritising begins to fall into place

Jim thank you sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Floridawalt wrote:
JimBGG wrote:

Jim thank you sir!

You're welcome :-D

It's easy to overlook the 'staging area' as not being controllable, especially as thoughts are often on questing and combat, but as has been mentioned above, there are a few cards in the Core set that can help.
I'm not much further ahead of you in terms of my progress through the game, (I've just finished the first cycle of adventure packs), and I can remember it took me a good half a dozen or so games for things to become (slightly) more understandable as far as overall strategy goes, so persevere and you'll find the game will reward you :-).

Also, as you increase your card pool, there will be a number of cards to choose from that can help with location lock.

I hope the road goes well for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.