Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi

I mainly play solo.

Just found this game and from what I can gather, key gameplay aspects might be lost if just playing solo. Wondering whether I should back it or not. Haven't had a lot of time to research so just wondering what other folks thought?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo (and two-player) have allies they control:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/78m91lk7wybonls/AlliedGraphic.pdf?...

Also, one of the scenario add-ons is "a solo mode scenario that can also support up to 4 players".

Quote:
For the Final 48 hours, we’d like to unveil a new add-on that takes you back to the beginning of the TV show: the “Days Gone Bye” Pack. For $20, the pack comes with Hospital Gown Rick, an Exclusive Scenario, four map tiles, 10 Event Cards, and a special 10-card “Wounded” Survivor Deck. This is a solo mode scenario that can also support up to 4 players!

The variant mini replicates Rick’s look from the first episode of the series, “Days Gone Bye,” when he first wakes up in a hospital barricaded away from walkers. The Scenario begins with Rick regaining consciousness in the hospital and quickly trying to escape with his limited Survivor Deck, which contains 10 “Wounded” cards. As he explores his hometown, he runs into another survivor, Morgan. He and Morgan then retrieve equipment from the sheriff station Rick once worked at. When Rick gears up at the police station, you can swap out the Hospital Gown Rick mini and his special Survivor Deck for the regular Rick mini and deck. The Scenario culminates in a Walker attack at Morgan’s house that Rick and Morgan must survive together! Thematically, it makes sense to use Hospital Gown Rick with the “Days Gone Bye” Scenario, but your are welcome to use him in other Scenarios for a little bit of extra fun!

BTW, Anyone else read the hospital door as "Don't Dead Open Inside"? zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rohan G
Australia
flag msg tools
I backed it and I will most likely be playing mostly solo. Scenarios look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravox wrote:
I backed it and I will most likely be playing mostly solo. Scenarios look pretty cool.

I expect to be able to play it with at least one other player most of the time...BUT they seem to have done a good job of keeping a playable solo dynamic with the allies and their penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry, I should have been more specific, but I would like to play on my own but controlling 4 characters. Is this possible? Is there hidden information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slim17 wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more specific, but I would like to play on my own but controlling 4 characters. Is this possible? Is there hidden information?

Kind of.

If a leader knew what was in everyone's hand, it might make their job easier, figuring out what event to keep and what to discard. That said, you are still going to certainly wind up in situations in which the choices don't work for all of the group based off of what is in the hands, but there is no hidden objective or traitor mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slim17 wrote:

Well, you can play solo two ways... zombie

* If you play by yourself, but wish to control four different *players*, each player will control their own character and have their own hand of cards. Players may not tell other players what cards they have in their hand, but can give general information. So there's hidden information, but I don't think it'll ruin the gameplay if you play it this way. See Rahdo's videos.

* Officially, you play one character, and the character has enough allies to form a party of four. Allies do not have a hand of cards, but have abilities printed on their card. Again, see Rahdo's videos to see how allies play differently from characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed I am a member of the 1 Player Guild and can say that this will be a brilliant solo game just as much as it will be in the 2-4 players game. It's been designed brilliantly, using Ally versions of Survivors in order to streamline solo while still giving a similar feel to the multiplayer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Phate999 wrote:
Indeed I am a member of the 1 Player Guild and can say that this will be a brilliant solo game just as much as it will be in the 2-4 players game. It's been designed brilliantly, using Ally versions of Survivors in order to streamline solo while still giving a similar feel to the multiplayer game.
... says the guy with the TWD:No Sanctuary avatar who is likely not biased at all towards the product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
... says the guy with the TWD:No Sanctuary avatar who is likely not biased at all towards the product.

Funny

I've been asking Brady and Adam Sadler (the designers of this game and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game) questions about the game since day 1 of the campaign. Most of that was aimed at a soloist's perspective because I play 99% solo.

You will pick one Survivor as your leader and grab their 15 card deck. Then you will pick 3 out of the 19 other Survivors, flip their Survivor Sheet's to the back side where you will see the information for their Ally versions.

On these sheets, each Ally has a pre-set Red, Yellow, and Green advanced action. As the leader, you get to choose which of the 3 that the Ally picks (so you can choose to Defy yourself, going against the chosen event color, but you will get stress just like in the multiplayer version).

Allies only have 3 Health, so you will have to be very careful and protect them (3 exerts and the game is over). This is to balance out the fact that you are in much more "control" of the allies decisions than you are in multiplayer.

I envision the game being extremely Tactile in the solo-game as you are looking for how to best play the cards in your hand and utilize your allies advanced skills depending on the scenario and position of the Walkers and Rivals on the board.

So while I am biased, I am also well versed on the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I will definitely be changing some of these rules in-house, once my tractor trailor full of stuff comes in.

First off, the do or die rule goes out the window, simulating the TV show as closely as possible. No exert, survivor card exhaust will end the whole game scenario. Survivors will "carry on" albeit weakened from their friends untimely departure.

Secondly, the leaders allies get their survivor deck I will randomly draw per turn, replicating decisions my leader cannot control made by other survivors.

Thirdly, zombie elimination will be a little harder. If the action determines a zombie is exterminated, I will roll a hit location dice to determine if that survivor did indeed target the head, if not, then the zombie remains floored until the next round. Bonuses such as extra location dice may apply upon certain circumstances.

Also, other factors will be accountable, love triangles, fires and their spreading, homemade obstacles, and more characters usable from Mcfarlanes construction mini sets, as well as their vehicles and what not, ie. The prison gate, prison floors, maybe a larger Dales RV, and definitely Daryls fig from season 3, with poncho and crossbow. Still awaiting some blind packs in the mail, but they are very nice minis, albeit a tad larger.

Hero survivor advancement from scenario to scenario will apply as well, based on their performance, whether good or bad could weaken or strengthen the individuals. Turning the campaign into an interactive movie rpg, with character immersion. We have a lot to work with, to make this game really last a long time. Hopefully, more will surface after Crypto has had a breather on this one. Yeah, i'm pretty excited about the possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranger3d75 wrote:

Secondly, the leaders allies get their survivor deck I will randomly draw per turn, replicating decisions my leader cannot control made by other survivors.

I was thinking about this: How about drawing a card from the three Ally decks, looking at them, then deciding the Leader's Event based on that. While it technically gives you more information than in a typical game, you can at least say "Daryl and Lori are acting Reckless and Dale is being Cautious, so maybe I should go ahead and be Reckless so I'm only taking 1 Stress" or "Carl, Shane and T-Dog are all planning to go Normal, so I should go that route, even though..."

The alternative would be to draw a normal hand for each survivor, look at them when making the Event decision (if there are more Cautious cards, for example, then take the Cautious Event), then shuffle and play a card from each hand randomly, though that one is going take a bit longer per game.

There's a few ways to play around with it solo, even using full hands of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.