Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just wanted to make some calls about the next expansion so I can gloat a bit if, by some accident, I'm right.

•It will be named "Shadow over Innsmouth".

•The sideboard will feature the following locations:
  Innsmouth
  Devil Reef or possibly Y'ha-nthlei
  Kinsport
  Kingsport Head
  Dunwich (not really fitting the theme, but shoehorned in as a fan service)

•The Ancient Ones will be:
  Deep Ones Rising ( a cover-up for Cthulhu, utilizing the sideboard)
  Glaaki

•Investigators:
  Amanda Sharpe
  Ashcan Pete
  Carolyn Fern
  Kate Winthrop
  Vincent Lee
  Rita Young
  Roland Banks
  William Yorick

•Epic Monsters:
  Dagon
  Barnabas Marsh

•Character Allies:
  Robert Olmstead
  Francis Thurston
  Gustaf Johansen
  George Angell
  William Webb

When I come up with something new, I'll add it to this post. Hints from fellow Arkhamists* are welcome.

*Those who think that the next big expansion is going to "zoom in" on Arkham. Compare: Dreamlandists, Amazonists, Himalayists, etc.

Poll
Which region will be featured on the next sideboard?
Arkham Country
Dreamlands
Amazon
Himalayas/Tunguska
Other
      184 answers
Poll created by haroth9842

Countdown to the next announcement (very rough approximation!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael mcguire
msg tools
As much as I would like to see a 'lovecraft country' expansion, I doubt that there will be one since it would probably destroy the market for ARKHAM HORROR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thewoozle wrote:
As much as I would like to see a 'lovecraft country' expansion, I doubt that there will be one since it would probably destroy the market for ARKHAM HORROR.
I think anyone who still prefers Arkham Horror over Eldritch Horror (or simply likes both), would not change their minds just because an EH expansion showcases some locations from AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think they realize that at this point, people who are going to buy Arkham Horror even with so many competitors from FFG and other publishers, are going to do it anyway. They had no problem with Elder Sign making Gates of Arkham which thematically totally overlaps in terms of location with Arkham Horror. They may not do it at all, but if they don't, I don't think it will be because of market destruction for AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Antarctica and Pyramids get a pass, due to Lovecraftianness and general pulp adventure interest respectively; but I'd find Dreamlands more relevant and interesting than any other of the ole earthly areas we have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Dreamlands for me definitely! That and Nyarlathotep (who could easily fit as one of the AOs for a Dreamlands expansion) are the only two big 'want's for me left for the game. I feel like another 'geographical' expansion will be a little uninspiring and predictable at this stage.

I wonder if it will be revealed at Gencon. It has been the last two years I think. Or is the new edition of Mansions taking the Lovecraft spotlight for a while and Eldritch getting a longer wait.

Quote:
Dunwich (not really fitting the theme, but shoehorned in as a fan service)

Really, you can say that about the entire franchise! It doesn't really fit with the theme or spirit of Lovecraft's work at all (that's not a complaint, just an observation. A game in which you couldn't win and were driven mad before the knowledge of your own insignificance and inevitable doom probably wouldn't be very fun )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
A game in which you couldn't win and were driven mad before the knowledge of your own insignificance and inevitable doom probably wouldn't be very fun )

I don't know that sounds exactly like the Paranoia RPG and that is a hoot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd expect to see a Tibet or Yucatan expansion long before fleshing out other dimensions. This is a game of globe-trotting horror, after all. In fact, I think an Australia expansion would come first. Terror Australis, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dreamlands would be great, but I would hate to see it squeezed onto a side board. It could easily take up a whole main board, and at that point the game might change significantly enough to be a spin-off rather than expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Bokrug wrote:
I'd expect to see a Tibet or Yucatan expansion long before fleshing out other dimensions. This is a game of globe-trotting horror, after all. In fact, I think an Australia expansion would come first. Terror Australis, anyone?

But what would be the Lovecraft element? As someone said above, Antarctica and, to a lesser extent, the Pyramids / Egypt have some currency in the world of Lovecraft but other themes would really be a stretch. I think the third 'big box' expansion needs to be something with a wow factor, not just another expansion along the same lines as the others.

arkhamnative wrote:
The dreamlands would be great, but I would hate to see it squeezed onto a side board. It could easily take up a whole main board, and at that point the game might change significantly enough to be a spin-off rather than expansion.

What about if it isn't a sideboard but a replacement board? After a certain number of mysteries have been solved the Dreamlands board replaces the main board. Something along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Bokrug wrote:

But what would be the Lovecraft element? As someone said above, Antarctica and, to a lesser extent, the Pyramids / Egypt have some currency in the world of Lovecraft but other themes would really be a stretch. I think the third 'big box' expansion needs to be something with a wow factor, not just another expansion along the same lines as the others.

"The Shadow out of Time" is set in Australia.
IIRC, the Plateau of Leng has been tied to Tibet (also the Dreamlands and other locales -- perhaps it is transitory or extra-dimensional)
The Yucatan doesn't feature prominently in any Lovecraft story, but I'm sure all of us Indiana Jones types would like to see its appearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a couple different instincts, one is that, even if barely Lovecraftian, they will try to do one for each continent--not sure if that will hold up but Buenos Aries gets mentioned a lot in stories etc.

The expansion I'm most excited to see would be Lovecraft country. Arkham, Innsmouth, Mass. and surrounding area all in the Arkham area. Landing on that space on the world map would simply take you automatically to one or several spaces on that sideboard--this one seems like not only a no-brainer, but a real delight to see (however small) a nice cardboard map illustration that included Innsmouth.

I don't think overlapping with AH on this would be a problem. As I've said, with Gates of Arkham for ES and new Arkham Horror card game, FFG has no problem with overlap in this way IMO

I think a dreamlands one would be GREAT edition and I don't see them replacing the main board of the world. Maybe it will happen but I don't see it. I think it would be a great sideboard and maybe the way you get there is by going to one of several gate/other world cards that mention the dreamlands and instead of interacting with that card, you go to the sideboard.

One thing to consider is justifying movement. Moving around the desert is hard and moving around Antarctica is hard so it's justified in having more spaces for a smaller geographic area. But how do you justify making it harder to travel around say, Arkham to Innsmouth if you catch what I'm saying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing in the familiar Lovecraft settings, but I would also be excited about adding settings in the Lovecraft style. Even though he never wrote about the Yucatan, it's pretty easy to come up with very thematic, Lovecraftian stories and adventures for the Yucatan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My hope is for no new boards. What will a new board really add and is it really necessary for an expansion? There are so many creative mechanics they could add to this game without the need for another slab of cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a new board for every space on the main board. Plus new boards for each of the spaces on each of the new boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
My hope is for no new boards.
I share your feelings for the extra boards. However I long have lost hope in this matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror - Legacy?

Just kidding...
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like a normal game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this as an "expansion?"

A new edition of Arkham Horror as a stand-alone game but that also has hooks into the world map of Eldritch, and allows travel between the local and world map. And a true campaign system for long running sets of investigators transitioning between the two games.

Oh yeah. Arkham Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfpack48 wrote:
How about this as an "expansion?"

A new edition of Arkham Horror as a stand-alone game but that also has hooks into the world map of Eldritch, and allows travel between the local and world map. And a true campaign system for long running sets of investigators transitioning between the two games.

Oh yeah. Arkham Legacy.

Yeah and when you enter a building you crack open Mansions of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey as long as there's a sideboard for every building...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....& and when you have to go to the Arkham Museum you use Elder Sign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate M
msg tools
It NEEDS to be Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next Eldritch Horror expansion will feature an app. You know it will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
arkhamnative wrote:
The next Eldritch Horror expansion will feature an app. You know it will.

I hope it's better than the Mansions of Madness app. It's crashed on us twice, ruining hours of gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.