Subject: Solo Harder? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I noticed when I was reading through the rules that there was no rules specific to solo play, which seems a bit strange. With 2+ players, you can swap out 2 dice for something more useful (or even go up to 7 dice).

By all means, between the initiative/move die face, star, EST, and room powers, you can certainly end up with a variety of options, but:

1. There are still fewer options than if you had other players trading dice with you.
2. There's no synergy of special abilities either.
3. Nor the ability to toggle the initiative order of characters to one more advantageous to the board state.

In a perfect world, for every hero character you throw in, the total capabilities of the team will grow at a slightly exponential rate. Whereas, because the enemies have a hardcoded, irrational, and non-collaborative AI, as you add vortexes their capabilities will grow at a straight linear rte. Presumably, the main thing keeping a team of four from having an easier fight than a team of 2 or 3 is that as the number of players grows, the difficulty of communicating and working through all permutations of solutions becomes prohibitive, so they will tend to make less optimal moves.

Because of the communication/different minds issue, I'd venture to guess that the game ends up at about the same level of difficulty between 2-4 players (where each is playing a single character). But, even though the solo game has the advantage of perfect collaboration between all players, if my reasoning is correct, it would still be more difficult than all other levels of play. 2 player near-perfect collaboration is probably not too hard, and has all of the trading/timing/synergy bonuses. The step down in capabilities probably isn't equalized by the step up in collaboration.

Does anyone see any flaw in this reasoning? Or is there something about solo play, beyond simplifying communication, that gives the player an advantage compared to a two player game?

If not, and assuming the game play was balanced for 2-3 heroes (which seems likely), it feels like there should be an official solo character rule set.

Letting the player role 7 dice and choose 5, for example, seems like it would better approximate the game difficulty that the game was built for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Or.. play solo with 2 characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play solo with more than one character. Trading dice is one of the biggest strategic aspects of it. 4 characters isn't a problem at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I agree with deedob and jdarnold in that you can play with more than 1 hero, I also agree with the OP. I've tried to tackle the first mission a few times now with 1 hero, and I honestly can't even imagine it's possible.

The rules are presented as though a 1 hero game is a valid option, but it doesn't seem viable without some tweaking. Or I'm just terrible at this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
The rules are presented as though a 1 hero game is a valid option, but it doesn't seem viable without some tweaking. Or I'm just terrible at this game.

I tried the introduction game and failed with one bad guy still in the deck (a boss), using the purple character. But then I realized that I had been playing wrong. My character's lowest ranged damage was a 2 not a 1, so that may have significantly changed the difficulty.

So I haven't played correctly yet, haven't played with two heroes, and haven't played any of the real missions, so I really couldn't say yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 2 times with a single hero. One was a learning game but the other was close. I believe all I needed was to kill the last boss.

That being said, I found 2 heroes to be much more interesting because you can share dice whereas one hero is more suceptible to bad dice rolls.

So to answer the question if solo is flawed, I don't think it is per se. However, it is a slightly different game where you trade cooperation for less enemies and quicker game length. At least in regards to the intro mission.

I've started the campaign missions with 2 heroes. I don't play enough with 1 hero to draw any conclusions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fay Florian
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

I understand what you mean.
Sure the game is more interesting solo with two heroes.

But to learn the game, the solo hero with 1 is very well. It is actually more difficult but still playable.

I suggest starting the game with the equipement card "pocket medikit" and without the green hero "Doc Robot".

By the way, it was chosen not to differentiate unduly rules; knowing that there are already the number of vortex and the deck of the enemy.

Have fun,
Mrf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.