7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Arkham Horror storage (a bit help needed) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K N
msg tools
Hi!

I'm making a briefcase mod for my Arkham Horror and I'm in need of some help. Would someone with every_single_expansion wanna measure the stack heights for cards (Mythos and Otherworld and the rest of the bigger card stacks separately and the small cards in one pile), monster tokens, gate markers, investigator tokens? I'll pay good forum-stars for the nice person who helps me with this key part of the project.

The reason I'm asking for them is that I'm trying to decide the layout for the full set, which I'm not able to buy yet due to some silly budget crisis on my bank account.

Anyway, here's some project pics

Here we go! 5,50€ from a local fleamarket.

Some pencil marks, but who cares!

So, uhh this needs to go in? Check!

And this!? Help!

Let's test.

Laminated labels. One major reason for the project.

A pile of hockey trading card storage boxes replaced by this nifty box that was a baffling 1€ at the hardware store.

Let's build! Making the box completely out of plexi.

Somewhat there. Made two rows for the bigger cards and two for the smaller ones (one row occupied by monsters for a moment). A bunch of labels are still in the making and here's the part where I need the help. Need info so I can design the layout for the area where the investigators and the gate markers are. I reckon the four rows for the cards would be enough?

I actually have two identical briefcases, because I just can't get all the stuff to fit in one. Unless I rip the pockets off... Hmm. Gotta do some measuring on that. I have the boards, monster and investigator cards and the tokenbox in the other one. Could be doable. But then again the labels might bend, which I don't want to happen.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome! This project started about one year ago in my head and I bought the briefcase before x-mas (hence the red tablecloth ) and finally last week I got to using Loctite on the plexi after a buttload of moving stuff around in the briefcase and carefully thinking before making wrong decisions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game myself (only play when 3+ people can muster up the courage to sort components simultaneously), so I can't be very helpful with total sizes of a complete collection. It also depends a little on sleeves if you use those, and then which thickness - or if you go really nuts and laminate some cards! The ancient ones and the investigators have their sheets, which would be good candidates. I personally like protecting certain components permanently like that.

But I just wanted to note that gathering all of one type might not be the best idea for everyone. Once you have a few expansions the stacks become too unwieldy to play with (at least as one stack). It's also a bit pointless, as you'll never get through them. I find it best to pick a few expansions to play, so separating the contents of each expansions seems like a better idea.

Which of course complicates storage further since you now need more dividers and rooms.

I keep tokens for most of my simpler games in small plastic boxes (200x110x30mm), all with adjustable inserts. For more complicated like Arkham Horror (standees, dice, bases, tokens, small cards) I use sets of 190x115x30mm and 310x200x50mm boxes I get at a local store (each large one includes a small one). If that briefcase is like one I had I think you can store 4 or 6 boxes like that in it, then continue making plexiglass inserts for the cards.

Remember that some Arkham Horror expansions come with an extra board. You should be able to stack them on top of a pile of token boxes, but maybe they need their own pockets/boxes/inserts to not slide around during transportation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K N
msg tools
gnurf wrote:
I don't have the game myself (only play when 3+ people can muster up the courage to sort components simultaneously), so I can't be very helpful with total sizes of a complete collection. It also depends a little on sleeves if you use those, and then which thickness - or if you go really nuts and laminate some cards! The ancient ones and the investigators have their sheets, which would be good candidates. I personally like protecting certain components permanently like that.

We don't play the game usually more than 3-4 times a year currently so no need for sleeves. I actually for some reason don't mind a little wear n tear in this case. Maybe it's the "old" look...

gnurf wrote:

But I just wanted to note that gathering all of one type might not be the best idea for everyone. Once you have a few expansions the stacks become too unwieldy to play with (at least as one stack). It's also a bit pointless, as you'll never get through them. I find it best to pick a few expansions to play, so separating the contents of each expansions seems like a better idea.

House rules. We've come to the conclusion that we don't care if can't get through a stack of mythos cards, for example, in a single game. What would be the point of that anyway? There's no achievement in that imo. We do ofcourse skip cards if there is not the particular ancient one or some else thing not in play. But other than that I have no plans on separating the cards. Way too late for that anyway, since they're all mixed and shuffled long time ago...

gnurf wrote:

Which of course complicates storage further since you now need more dividers and rooms.

I keep tokens for most of my simpler games in small plastic boxes (200x110x30mm), all with adjustable inserts. For more complicated like Arkham Horror (standees, dice, bases, tokens, small cards) I use sets of 190x115x30mm and 310x200x50mm boxes I get at a local store (each large one includes a small one). If that briefcase is like one I had I think you can store 4 or 6 boxes like that in it, then continue making plexiglass inserts for the cards.

Remember that some Arkham Horror expansions come with an extra board. You should be able to stack them on top of a pile of token boxes, but maybe they need their own pockets/boxes/inserts to not slide around during transportation.

I was planning on making pockets and spaces in the plexi bottom for tokens, but I would've had to make a lid for the area so for this first model I decided to use one of those boxes I found in the hardware store. The tools I have currently won't give me the opportunity to make the box that perfect. Or then it's them skills

As I said, I have two briefcases, due to the limited space. Tried searching for a slightly bigger case but didn't find one. Didn't want to buy one of those construction site aluminium monsters Need that space on the table too.

Thanks for the ideas and input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K N
msg tools
Laminated the cards again to get more height and more thickness. Finally figured out the layout for the tokens. Found that Arkham Horror wiki site. Cards are still some sort of questionmark. Gotta do some counting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bell
United States
flag msg tools
Separating the cards is not too big of deal for me personally, takes 5-10 min. When Arkham hits my table we pick one big box expansion and one small box expansion. We take about half of the base game Mythos and other world cards and shuffle them in with the chosen big/small box cards. We also take the chosen expansions encounter cards and shuffle them with the base cards to the front of the encounter decks. This makes each game "flavored" towards the chosen expansions and makes it more "tuned" to that particular night. Everyone plays differently but this particular style guided the way I store the game. All the mythos and other world cards are separated by expansion so they can be combined at will. All encounter cards are stored together but "reworked" prior to each game.

Arkham is kinda like an adult haunted doll house. I personally love the way you can modify the game with the expansions to seemingly endless combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew DeBoer
msg tools
Did you find comprehensive token dimensions. I'm working on a similar project, with a very "tight fit" token tray. I have the game and two expansions, but want to make a box that fits "future" expansions, so that I can carry everything without 9 boxes sliding around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Plank
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craydes wrote:
Did you find comprehensive token dimensions. I'm working on a similar project, with a very "tight fit" token tray. I have the game and two expansions, but want to make a box that fits "future" expansions, so that I can carry everything without 9 boxes sliding around.

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully the OP reports back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.