$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Whether you think this is a cash grab or not, whether you hate/love the Collectible model, it seems to me that this entire game exists for 2 broad reasons:

1) Someone at Disney/Asmodee/FFG saw a gap in the market, for a cheap and accessible 'Star Wars Dicemasters' game
2) Someone at Disney/Asmodee/FFG wanted to get their gaming products into mass market stores in order to increase their presence and to potentially act as a gateway/route to the other SW tabletop products

Whilst this game will see a lot of its sales and play in 'proper' FLGS, I imagine it'll see a lot of sales in Walmarts, Targets, Tescos etc - and that's why it's collectible.

You start with 3 SKUs, rather than 1 for a core set, and 6 for a 'cycle' of packs.

FFG will probably do 2 sets a year - but that's only 2 SKUs.

There's no doubt that all of the other FFG Star Wars games will see an increase in sales due to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
I'd also be amazed if boosters didn't include at least 1 double-sided 'advertisement card' showcasing things like X-Wing/Armada/Imperial Assault etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
I'd also be amazed if boosters didn't include at least 1 double-sided 'advertisement card' showcasing things like X-Wing/Armada/Imperial Assault etc.

That'd be a great way to advertise their products!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
inaholeintheground wrote:
jonboyjon wrote:

That'd be a great way to advertise their products!

Indeed. It would very interesting to know what kind of sales bump the rest of their games receive once destiny is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no question that FFG is releasing this product for the money. Nor do I think it positive/negative to pursue profits- they are a company that sells many forms of "brand" merchandise.

What I'm more interested in is the thought process behind this strategic decision, which on the face of it contradicts the proven nature of FFG's LCG model that it pioneered years ago. But then I noticed the Disney name on the packaging (not just the FFG logo), and that sorta answered my own question.

I'm a huge fan of Android Netrunner and have dabbled in Conquest and GoT LCGs because I could pick and choose which packs I would need to buy to get certain cards. The reversion to the CCG model is a no-starter for me personally, but I don't doubt that this will sell briskly because of the brand and Disney/FFG hyper-marketing.

It might even be a great game, but at this moment it seems more like a thinly veiled reskin of some Ashes RotP and Dicemasters mechanics.

No thank you. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:

1) Someone at Disney/Asmodee/FFG saw a gap in the market, for a cheap and accessible 'Star Wars Dicemasters' game

I would be 0 surprised if WizKids approached Disney to do a Star Wars set, they were rebuffed because of the FFG/Hasbro license, and then Disney went to FFG/Hasbro to design this game.

The bigger shock to me is that this is an FFG game instead of a Hasbro game, tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's with the starter sets? They're not even sets, because you need to buy 2 "sets" to be able to play. Each "set" is just a 1-player deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about you guys, but the gameplay looks amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
What's with the starter sets? They're not even sets, because you need to buy 2 "sets" to be able to play. Each "set" is just a 1-player deck.

Well, they don't include playsets of the included cards, so that is a real bummer. However, I can't say that "starter set" is a misnomer. It's still a set amount of cards to get you started on your collection and to be a foundation for building decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inaholeintheground wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but the gameplay looks amazing

I am actually not that impressed. I like that you play as only a few characters each, it helps give the feeling you are actually playing as those particular characters. After watching the Team Covenant gameplay video though, the decisions made seemed fairly boring to me. It's a bunch of small decisions where you try to maximize the results of your cards and dice. As they state, it appears to be a game of timing your actions better than your opponent and I am not sure I enjoy that style of game.

I also have no desire to build 30 card decks for the characters. It seems like a great tournament game for guys that like to fine tune decks but it's not for me. I don't play in tournaments and I'd get bored playing the same characters over and over which would mean I'd be constantly building new decks for my group. Unless they have some fun deck drafting system for casual players I think I will pass on this. FFG will only get my money these days if they make something amazing and this just looks "ok".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be getting into the game, but only because I'm already collecting other games. I really am impressed with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is definitely a made by and for marketing at disney/asmodee, designed by FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.