8 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Innovation number? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In general, what are other players' targets for innovation number?

I have a few campaigns going and have always naturally assumed that one per settlement phase is a good target. Looking briefly at the settlement tree in the Files section of BGG there's 30+ innovations in the base game (and I think some stand alone ones that aren't included in the document).

If the watcher is expected to arrive LY25, give or take some time, it occurred to me that maybe I'm aiming too high re number of innovations to have.

So, out of interest what LY are you at now and how many innovations do you have? Or alternatively, if you can remember, how many innovations roughly did you finish the game with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some years are nemesis fights that won't give you resources, and some years you won't win the showdown, and other years your resources might not be balanced at all, so while there are 25 years until the Watcher, at least a few won't allow for innovating, so if I'm able to innovate and there isn't something super pressing I need the resources for, I innovate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Without spoiling too much, there are ways later where you can gain more innovations than the number of years.

That being said, I'm not sure what a good number is. Once I get all of the survivor actions, the priority of innovation drops greatly for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure around 15-20, not counting weapon masteries.

But yeah, I'd say that the only necessary ones are the survival actions, and I probably wouldn't stop before I had
Spoiler (click to reveal)
ammonia, drums, shrine, and at least 3 departing survival

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
I figure around 15-20, not counting weapon masteries.

But yeah, I'd say that the only necessary ones are the survival actions, and I probably wouldn't stop before I had
ammonia, drums, shrine, and at least 3 departing survival

Pictographs is nice - it offers an alternative approach to the nastier boss fights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them enough that I've never seen a reason to not do them, honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I usually go for all actions, Ammonia and Hovel at start, then I aim at Clan of Death and Nightmare Training - the rest of the tree is a matter of what is happening.

I also keep the Guidepost (if I have it) around a bit before trying to extract it for the halberd.

In a vanilla game, I try to end the game at LY20 and I usually have about 22 Innovations + Masteries (never got three in vanilla at LY20).

When you add expansions, this number increases wildly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK great. I'm not going too far wrong then. Cheers guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.