Hide
2 Posts

Burger Up» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Burger Up first impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
NOTICE: I am a kickstarter backer. There may be potential bias.

The below is a quick overview and first impressions of Burger Up.

The package was incredibly well-protected. The box was covered in a layer of bubble wrap, and the corners were fitted with cardboard edges. The mailer itself was lined with bubble wrap, and the box had a plastic wrap as well.

All in all - the packaging is a massive thumbs up. The game came without a scratch.

Once opened, I was continually impressed. The square cards were shrink wrapped yet were in excellent condition, there was no folded edges or any problems with the paperwork, and the coins were in a small bag that fit well in the box insert.

Speaking of...

The box insert is excellent. No need to run out for a new one, it felt really sturdy, and there was plenty of room to organise cards. I kept the expansion cards in one pile, the starting cards in another, the top buns in another, and there was still space for more. You could fit twice the number of cards in the box without issue.

The box has a beautiful design, the artwork is uniformly excellent - it not only speaks to the theme but is also very pleasing to the eye. The game comes with a two sided poster as well, one side with some selected game art, the other with a shout out to the many who backed the game.

In addition to the full colour rule book, there is an additional book with some variants, based on popular games like Sushi Go and Hanabi. I'm looking forward to trying them.

As for the rules - it was easy to learn. Within a few minutes of opening the box, I was already playing. The game lasted about 45 minutes, including learning the rules, but that was with 2 players. It will likely go faster next time.

As for gameplay, it's fairly simple set collection, but with the added wrinkle that the cards actually have two properties on either end. The cards must stack in a certain order, and the goals are randomly drawn from the deck, providing a substantial amount of randomisation and replayability.

Overall, this is a really solid game. The concept is simple, the art is gorgeous, and yet there is some strategy and replayability in the collection and the use of the ingredients, all to fulfil the orders.

Burger Up is a great little game from my first impressions and I'm looking forward to playing some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Chang
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the impressions, Jeff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.