Subject: Alternative success resolution method rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#Melee/Advanced Melee is a great system for small scale miniature battles and I've recently been playing it again after many years. However, one thing that bugged me was the fact that a DX14 warrior (for instance) had the same chance to hit an enemy of superior skill (say DX16) as he did to hit an unskilled opponent (DX8). This never made any sense to me: it should be harder for him to hit the more skilled opponent and easier to hit the klutz.

Back in the day I used a simple resolution table to solve this perceived problem. I set the median value at 11, so that two fighters of the same skill would have just over a 50 per cent chance to hit each other. Actually, there was no real need for the table. Start each figure at 11 and adjust as follows based on the values of their adjDX:

Take the difference between the two values and halve it. Add one half to the value of the figure with the higher score and remove the other half from the lower score. If there is an odd number add the spare 1 to the higher value. Example...

DX14 v DX14 (difference 0) =11v11
DX14 v DX13 (difference 1) =12v11
DX14 v DX12 (difference 2) =12v10
DX14 v DX11 (difference 3) =13v10
DX14 v DX10 (difference 4) =13v9 and so on...

I felt this fixed a number of problems with the original rules, including reigning back the power of the polearm charging character with 14 adjDX who almost never missed and did massive damage, without taking away the value of having a higher DX score completely.

For simplicities sake, and where there are multiple combatants, allow the figures to perform actions in the order of their adjDX before applying the resolution adjustment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The method you cite is similar to the resistance rolls in the RuneQuest RPG. That is, you compare the power of the spell caster and the target and end up with a percentage of success.

Using RuneQuest as a model, you could also use their attack/parry system. The way this works is that the attacker rolls under his weapon skill. If the attacker hits, the defender rolls under his weapon skill to parry. For combat between high skilled opponents, you may have to reduce the attack parry percentage of each side otherwise combat will tend to go on for a long time.

You could also do something similar by having each player roll against their weapon skill and compare the degree to which they succeeded or failed. For an attacker to hit, he has to roll under his weapon skill and succeed by a larger margin than the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Runequest although mechanically it wasn't my cup of tea.

I wanted to keep Melee/TFT as simple and pure as possible and I felt that adding this one simple Maths calculation to a resolution roll didn't take any additional time once you are were used to it but did solve some problems without changing anything else.

I also used it for Spellcasting, comparing the DX of the caster with the IQ level of the spell so that higher IQ spells were harder to cast and Lower ones easier, at a given DX level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wimplesaur wrote:
However, one thing that bugged me was the fact that a DX14 warrior (for instance) had the same chance to hit an enemy of superior skill (say DX16) as he did to hit an unskilled opponent (DX8).

The main problem I see is that you've now made DX which was arguably the most important of the three abilities even more important. A battle tank just becomes a punching bag where they seldom hit AND they get hit every round. But then again, I have a certain fondness for the battle tank!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.