Subject: Is this the next step in pimping out SoB? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Disclaimer: I'm not associated with this product in any way - not even as a backer.

I stumbled across this KS today for Tablescapes Dungeons new Mines set: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084069684/tablescapes-...and immediately thought of SoB as a potential beneficiary of this product. Has anyone else seen this and thought it might be a new way to further enhance your SoB gaming experience?

I don't have the time to paint them up nice or figure out how to make the appropriate room layouts with the pieces in the set, but it might be interesting to see if someone else figures it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm not associated with this product in any way - not even as a backer.

I stumbled across this KS today for Tablescapes Dungeons new Mines set: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084069684/tablescapes-...and immediately thought of SoB as a potential beneficiary of this product. Has anyone else seen this and thought it might be a new way to further enhance your SoB gaming experience?

I don't have the time to paint them up nice or figure out how to make the appropriate room layouts with the pieces in the set, but it might be interesting to see if someone else figures it out.

I'm backing it and plan to use the components similar to the way Bum Kim has demonstrated with the walls he built for Massive Darkness.

I have a lot of the Dwarven Forge caverns, but I like his approach better that adds walls to the existing terrain (fortunately, my caverns will be well used with Descent and Dungeon Saga).

Part of my motivation is what you said... I don't have time to figure out layouts. I'll use the walls to line the existing Brimstone tiles.

As for painting... painting is extremely easy and quick if you want. Spray and ink wash would have a great southwestern limestone effect.

I had picked up a mold at Hobby Lobby for trains to do western limestone walls, but this project will save me the trouble of doing all the casting.

The reason why these will work better than the DF is because the walls are a 1" wide segment, whereas the DF walls include the floor space which would cover the Brimstone tiles too much. These will cover the tiles minimally, and have a better visual effect.

Similar to the original deal on the DF original Kickstarter and the original Reaper Bones Kickstarter I think this Kickstarter is going to be one of those awesome bargains that you'll hear people saying "I wish I had known about it then, cause it's too expensive now."

Reaper and DF have continued to have incredible Kickstarter offerings, but their subsequent Kickstarters haven't come close to the bargain value of their first Kickstarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the purple crystals they just added. Darkstone anyone???

I'm definitely spending $5 for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad they don't have some kind of bulk purchase. If I wanted to complete my Shadows boards, I'd need to get a lot of these...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
Snardo wrote:

I'm backing it and plan to use the components similar to the way Bum Kim has demonstrated with the walls he built for Massive Darkness.

I have a lot of the Dwarven Forge caverns, but I like his approach better that adds walls to the existing terrain (fortunately, my caverns will be well used with Descent and Dungeon Saga).

Part of my motivation is what you said... I don't have time to figure out layouts. I'll use the walls to line the existing Brimstone tiles.

As for painting... painting is extremely easy and quick if you want. Spray and ink wash would have a great southwestern limestone effect.

I had picked up a mold at Hobby Lobby for trains to do western limestone walls, but this project will save me the trouble of doing all the casting.

The reason why these will work better than the DF is because the walls are a 1" wide segment, whereas the DF walls include the floor space which would cover the Brimstone tiles too much. These will cover the tiles minimally, and have a better visual effect.

Similar to the original deal on the DF original Kickstarter and the original Reaper Bones Kickstarter I think this Kickstarter is going to be one of those awesome bargains that you'll hear people saying "I wish I had known about it then, cause it's too expensive now."

Reaper and DF have continued to have incredible Kickstarter offerings, but their subsequent Kickstarters haven't come close to the bargain value of their first Kickstarters.

I've had my eye on this. I'd likely do the same and pickup just the walls and doors. Little unsure of whether I could place these on the table beside the Shadows of Brimstone tiles or if they would balance flat on the far edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you slap on the ochre craft paint, and hit 'em with a brown wash (Secret Weapon Miniatures Dark Sepia, or Army Painter Strong Tone, ask your FLGS), you can do a good job. At your leisure, add details, like painting the wooden parts, paint the mine tracks, etc. I imagine that if you grab a few boardgame tiles, you can slap down something that looks close enough, and play the game just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welp, I pledge. Picked up just one set. Gonna tinker a bit see if I like it enough to buy more later. I'm also tempted to get some Hirst Arts molds just for general gaming (maybe some Descent or Imperial Assault boards). Worst part of 3D gaming, storage space

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.