Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this for a camping trip to play with 5 other people (6 total). I explained the game to everyone and they all had a bit of a dazed look on their faces. I assured them it would be fun, I mean it's the #3 party game on BGG for pity's sake! So I draw the first card and it's something along the lines of "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus". I spend 30 seconds trying over and over again to come up with clues. The thing was, none of it was fun. The other player was just confused, I was annoyed, and all the other players were just staring at us trying to figure out what the game was about. Then they go and it's just as bad. So I say oh, you have to use sounds, and make gestures... except how the hell do sounds and gestures help with any of these titles? And then I explain to them, after 2-3 completely failed "turns" where the 30 seconds ran down with not-a-one title being even remotely guessed correctly, that for rounds 2-3 you get ONE word and then NO words... every single person asked we pack it up and play something else.

People like this game? I don't get it. All 6 of us failed to find any fun or joy in the game, and felt the only group who could possibly like this would be one that watches movies/television all day every day and also has an intensely powerful talent for giving clues... and how on Earth could anyone ever guess anything during rounds 2 or 3? Totally painful 6-way flop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this with different groups for years, including a game group I recently started up at work, and it's never failed to be a blast. Some people are better than others but to me the game is less about knowing everything on the cards and more about creative approaches to the ones you DON'T know and being willing to make a fool out of yourself for the fun of everyone. Frankly, to me the most fun rounds are the ones where you're battling to get even a single card, making everyone laugh in the process, rather than the ones where you're successfully rattling off card after card.

I'm sorry to hear this one didn't work out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
I've been playing this with different groups for years, including a game group I recently started up at work, and it's never failed to be a blast. Some people are better than others but to me the game is less about knowing everything on the cards and more about creative approaches to the ones you DON'T know and being willing to make a fool out of yourself for the fun of everyone. Frankly, to me the most fun rounds are the ones where you're battling to get even a single card, making everyone laugh in the process, rather than the ones where you're successfully rattling off card after card.

I'm sorry to hear this one didn't work out for you.

I totally agree! From our experience with it, it's kinda hard to imagine it not going over well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite party game. I change the timer to one minute 30 seconds for first round, 1 minute for 2nd round, and 30 seconds for last round. Memory is important. Title Recall is great because you can get people to get the right answer without knowing the title. Just get them to say the individual words together.

And if the group doesn't get how gestures can help, then don't try to introduce them to charades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it works WAY better with celebrities (the traditional game) than with book titles.

Also, Monikers is the best version of this game, because it has text on the cards you can just read if you don't know who the person is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly for most of the people i play with the titles have been MUCH more accessible than the celebrity names. With the original version of Time's Up there are a lot more 30 seconds and out segments with no cards scored because people just don't know the names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that Titles > Names. Names sort of require you know the name, and though I've seen editions that list who some of the names are, that's sort of a drag to go through that list.
With Titles, even if you don't know the Title, you can make something up just to get them to say the words, even if you don't know why those words are in that string. (for example, off the top of my head, A Farewell to Arms, Stairway to Heaven, and Gone with the Wind, would all be fun ones to act out even without knowing what they actually are. Caveat - I don't know if those are in the game.)

Some games I've played have been funnier and more fun than others, but they've pretty much always been fun. Sorry you had such a bad time with it, OP. For a party game it does sort of have a weird mental learning curve, with the charades (I always forget till round 2), and one word/no word, so that can be a barrier, and of course if the players all hate charades, it's more likely to fall flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK maybe it was just the group. I was avidly trying to get everyone into it but all 5 started at me confused the whole time. I think it was out for less than 5 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's so disappointing when a new game falls flat. My wife and I are trying very hard to love Fields of Arle right now but it seems a lot like work. At least Time's Up is relatively inexpensive.

However, I tried out 'Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus' Time's Up style on Sarah.

Round 1: "Book about the differences between the sexes postulating that the ugly sex are from the 4th planet and the fairer sex are from the second planet."

Round 2: "Differences." I did an impression of a cave man and pointed to the sky then made an hour glass and curvy shape with my hands and did a wolf whistle pointing to a different part of the sky.

Round 3: Repeat of round 2 just doing the noises.

It was fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
IDK maybe it was just the group. I was avidly trying to get everyone into it but all 5 started at me confused the whole time. I think it was out for less than 5 minutes.

I can actually picture this happening, most likely with a group of people inexperienced at clue-giving games. If folks don't have a general sense of how to give clues or how to make sense of clues they are given, blank stares might not be too surprising.

I've occasionally played such games (not just Time's Up, but also Charades, Password, some others I'm not thinking of) with people who were lost like that, but always there were other people at the table who were not lost. In these cases, the newbies were able to learn by observing how others went about it, and got the hang of it quickly enough they didn't get frustrated.

Bummer it fell flat for you. It really can be tons of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:

Nobody could think of "It's a book where Males are located on the red planet and females are located on a different planet"????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
Some games I've played have been funnier and more fun than others, but they've pretty much always been fun. Sorry you had such a bad time with it, OP. For a party game it does sort of have a weird mental learning curve, with the charades (I always forget till round 2), and one word/no word, so that can be a barrier, and of course if the players all hate charades, it's more likely to fall flat.

I've played this game with some really intelligent and funny people that this game just worked with, but I've also ended up being partnered with people who have been on completely different wavelengths where nothing weny right and I came out really disappointed. Assuming you have the patience I'd suggest trying again with different people if you have the group to do it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John -

For what it's worth, I had pretty much the opposite experience that you encountered. I picked up the game based on recommendations here on BGG, but when I looked at the cards prior to playing, my thought was "How on Earth will my son and daughter and their respective girlfriend/boyfriend possibly like this?" That's because so many of the cards seemed to be for titles released well before their time. Then we played the game. Not surprisingly, the first round was skewed towards us 'older folk' who knew the titles. But by the time the second and third rounds were played, everyone picked up on the cues and mannerisms used to describe titles in the first round. The game turned out to be VERY competitive. More importantly, EVERYONE at the table thoroughly enjoyed the game and asked to play again. This game, along with CodeNames, has become a staple in our home, and in those of several friends to whom we've introduced the games. On the other hand, Dixit was a game that REALLY fell flat for anyone we've introduced it to.

Shows that opinions/experiences can vary by extraordinary degrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
For me, it works WAY better with celebrities (the traditional game) than with book titles.

Also, Monikers is the best version of this game, because it has text on the cards you can just read if you don't know who the person is.

If you don't know the person, you have no chance of answering. With titles, you can have them piece together the individual words without knowing the title beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:

That's the problem. I've brought it out with groups and they start off just completely unenthused and not getting it and I have to convince them to stick with it and then the magic happens. They start hearing clues and then go "Wait! I had this card earlier, I know it!" As a group you start cohesively learning the possible answers in the pool as you play the game. Then the game ramps up in difficulty as you go to one word clues, now you have to be creative and link people's memories towards pass guesses, everyone is laughing as people start referencing wrong answers just to jog people's memories and the wrong answers become the right answers, and on and on.

The problem was that none of you had played it so you all made a snap judgement. You need one person going, "Trust me guys, it will click and you'll have fun, just keep going."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.