Subject: Not all geeks are created equal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game at the weekend, as blue team leader, I opened with "The Crystal Maze: 4" - a reference which two of my three team-members got, correctly guessing "aztec", "lock", "time" and "cell", though they were also considering the civilian "tube". In the third round, I tried "Esuna: 2" only for all three of them to draw a complete blank.

If I had to guess which reference would be more likely to stump players, it would have been the early 90s TV game-show rather than the world's best-known JRPG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
In a game at the weekend, as blue team leader, I opened with "The Crystal Maze: 4" - a reference which two of my three team-members got, correctly guessing "aztec", "lock", "time" and "cell", though they were also considering the civilian "tube". In the third round, I tried "Esuna: 2" only for all three of them to draw a complete blank.

If I had to guess which reference would be more likely to stump players, it would have been the early 90s TV game-show rather than the world's best-known JRPG...

Both would have completely stumped me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Crystal Maze: 4" would have been an invalid clue in our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Crystal Maze" and "Esuna" would have also stumped me.

While playing Codenames: Pictures at Dice Tower Con, I gave the clue "Crusoe 3" ... and it turned out that neither of my teammates was familiar with Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. They went off of general knowledge about Robinson Crusoe, but that didn't help them very much.

The pictures I was describing were a rain cloud over a book, a skull and crossbones poison bottle ... and I can't remember the third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband went for Jon Snow: 5 once and his team mates where clueless. It was a disaster. I didn't mind as I was on the other team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
rather than the world's best-known JRPG...

Shoot, I didn't even know what "JRPG" stood for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
rmsgrey wrote:

I don't know a JRPG called Esuna, so I assume you're talking about the spell in the Final Fantasy series, which I would probably struggle to make a connection with when playing a game. So I've got to break down to the base level of a game without knowing I'm meant to be thinking about that game because I'm in the middle of a meta- of another game. Plus how you pronounce Esuna which I've never heard officially spoken might not agree with my head canon for the word.

Whereas The Crystal Mage is the title most people will remember, it will be easier to break down from the top to think what was contained in The Crystal Mage. Then they can make quick connections with what is on the board.

Anyway, The Crystal Maze is 3 words not one, so I blame the spymaster who didn't call it out as an incorrect clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBH1 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

I don't know a JRPG called Esuna, so I assume you're talking about the spell in the Final Fantasy series, which I would probably struggle to make a connection with when playing a game. So I've got to break down to the base level of a game without knowing I'm meant to be thinking about that game because I'm in the middle of a meta- of another game. Plus how you pronounce Esuna which I've never heard officially spoken might not agree with my head canon for the word.

Whereas The Crystal Mage is the title most people will remember, it will be easier to break down from the top to think what was contained in The Crystal Mage. Then they can make quick connections with what is on the board.

Anyway, The Crystal Maze is 3 words not one, so I blame the spymaster who didn't call it out as an incorrect clue.

We were playing the flexible rule allowing proper nouns.

The entire other team got the Final Fantasy connection for Esuna (which I also spelled) - in fact, one of them mentioning it let my team guess "spell" for their third guess (the first two were spent guessing the answers to the previous round's "Mannequin: 2" where they'd touched the civilian "suit" first rather than "model" or "arm") so I don't think it was that much of a stretch...

I forget what the other team's words were that game, but their third round hit "straw" which was our 8th word, so I could give "Venom: 1" to mop up "poison".

The assassin was "staff", so I had some bad moments when my team thought Final Fantasy characters might use staffs to cast spells - it's just as well that they whiffed on Mannequin the previous round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBH1 wrote:

It can be valid since it's a name. The section Proper Names on page 7 makes it an official variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We don't play with proper names to keep the rules simpler. One word or ask the other spymaster about compound words. Works for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Dove
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
We have decided that proper names means only names of people. No book titles tv shows or movie titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoveBar wrote:
We have decided that proper names means only names of people. No book titles tv shows or movie titles.

So, not "proper names" then. "People names" is the moniker you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoveBar wrote:

What about place names like New York or Los Angeles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
DoveBar wrote:

What about place names like New York or Los Angeles?

Indeed. And what about Optimus Prime? Person or Thing? (choose your answer carefully...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoveBar wrote:

That's what we do, too. Sometimes we also allow place names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Dove
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
We will also allow place names. I think we would probably allow Optimus Prime or even the name of an animal e.g. a horse like War Admiral. The movie and book titles are too long and make the clues too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoveBar wrote:
We will also allow place names. I think we would probably allow Optimus Prime or even the name of an animal e.g. a horse like War Admiral. The movie and book titles are too long and make the clues too easy.

They only make things easy when the films are ones people know - clue a book no-one else on your team has read, and things can fall apart very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.