Subject: Help identify obscure game - a serious challenge! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I have this memory of a board game from my childhood, and I'm hoping to figure out what game it was. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of details, so if anyone can figure out what this game was, I'll have some serious gamer respect.

The game would have come out anywhere between 1975-1995, likely around 1985 is my guess. I know, a big range. I believe it was a roll and move mechanic. The theme was some kind of a city where you have to visit different places. The only place that I think I remember is an ice skating rink for some reason. I think the art was black and white, but the art style was very exaggerated and busy. The game was either a parody (likely of Monopoly) or just humorous.

I originally thought that I was remembering the M.A.D. Magazine board game, but I don't think that was it. I spent hours going through the list of board games, sorting by year and first looking through all of the games tagged as "humor" from 1960-1995, then looking through ALL of the "roll and move" and "economic" tagged games from that same period. I couldn't find it. I feel like I'm going crazy and just made up this game in my mind.

If anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about, I would be incredibly grateful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found it! It was called "Fun City" and although there was no ice rink, the nostalgia hit me big time as soon as I spotted a picture of the game on Google images.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4909/fun-city-game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to give yourself geekgold now.

Pete (applauds)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Davis did the artwork and he passed away last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whoa, spooky timing for me to remember this. The art was just about the only thing that I did remember from this. Now I'll have to look up what else he did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Even crazier - I just looked him up and saw that he also did the artwork for the M.A.D. Magazine board game - which I originally thought was the game I was looking for! That is some seriously coincidental stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
You were right about the skating rink! If you look at the picture of the board, there's a place called "Fun City Forum" where there are people playing ice hockey! Good memory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh hey, you're right! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.