Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Ansari
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently picked up the "3 is the Magic Number" expansion for Imperial Settlers, and while coming through my ever-growing piles of cards, I began to think that the game has lost a bit of its elegance. Looking forward to the new Aztecs expansion, I'm again concerned that the game is becoming too bloated.

Of course, I could simply not purchase these expansions, but it is exciting to try a new faction with a new style of play. Each expansion also adds complimentary cards for the other factions to bring the new mechanism to them. Again, I could simply use just the base cards with the base factions and the expansion cards with those expansions, but then I'm not getting to see "Open Production," "Technology," or "Set Bonuses." It's just becoming harder and harder to incorporate all of these ideas within a 30-card deck. For the record, I am not a fan of just combining all of the cards into one large deck.

I suppose this is really just a rant, but does any else have any ideas about how to use the expansions without overloading the card choices? Just picking one to play with doesn't seem very fulfilling. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't.

I LOVE the idea of mixing two simple sets to make your deck, rather than throwing it all together. I think it's tons of fun and I think by doing it it genuinely makes my factions feel unique each time. I could play Barbarians 3 times in a row currently and not have the same style played based on buildings both in my deck and the common deck.

I cannot get enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same way. Seems like the rules are going to keep expanding significantly with even every tiny expansion. Also I seem to remember there is already some significant errata. At this point I'll probably just trade off my lot of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjpeach2004 wrote:
I honestly don't.

I LOVE the idea of mixing two simple sets to make your deck, rather than throwing it all together. I think it's tons of fun and I think by doing it it genuinely makes my factions feel unique each time. I could play Barbarians 3 times in a row currently and not have the same style played based on buildings both in my deck and the common deck.

I cannot get enough

So, for you...everything is peachy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with it and since you play with an expasion each time, you didn´t put so many new mechanics in one game each time.

Since each expansion focus in a mechanic, and they really feel different, I have the option to play each game with a different feeling and I like it.

About your question, I think that is better play one expansion each time tunning your deck, try to put more than one didn´t work really well because it became too diluted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember you're only supposed to play with one expansion each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

Yeah, I remember that from the expansion leaflets, but to be honest, it's a bit ridiculous to put in and pull out cards from the common and faction decks each time you play. Content that can't be used regularly seems like a waste. I'm going to give it a try, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We had the same worry that's why we haven't purchased the Atlanteans expansion only the empire packs. We still have not mastered all the factions, as soon as it happens though, I am looking forward to the new content. meeple

P.s.: For the record, we belong to the group of those weird gamers who play a game multiple, even dozens of times instead of always seeking out the new hot thing. I know, I know, it's crazy, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

i think its important to remember this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Try and do some deckbuilding with the expansions. Take out cards you don't like and put in some off the expansions so you keep your deck small but still competitive.

You can create decks that are fun to play without having to much going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
Try and do some deckbuilding with the expansions. Take out cards you don't like and put in some off the expansions so you keep your deck small but still competitive.

You can create decks that are fun to play without having to much going on.

Indeed, for the first expansion this wasn't an issue. Even Atlanteans was fine since it added so much more, it was easy to rebuild fun decks with those. But the newest expansion takes all of that out and now it's almost like a completely different game. And even more will be added with the next expansion, it just feels like too much to consider. Do I want "Open Production?" Yes! But then I can't have "Technology," "Religion," or "Set Bonuses." I'd prefer to just pull the game out and play without adding more time setting up the game. It's a good suggestion, though. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.