Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone developed a good "teaching script" for how to teach Scythe effectively and efficiently? I'm "the guy who buys all the games" for most of my gaming friends, and while I've taught the game a couple of times, I find myself struggling for a logical order in which to cover topics, and then still going back and saying "Oh, I forgot to mention X" several times.

I'm going to be teaching the game at a couple of upcoming conventions, and while I could go through and design one of my own, if someone's already come up with a good one, no point in reinventing the wheel, right?

TIA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any written scripts, but Jamey put together a video on how he prefers to teach Scythe. I've tried to follow a similar process whenever I teach it to new people and it's worked well for me so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
I haven't seen any written scripts, but Jamey put together a video on how he prefers to teach Scythe. I've tried to follow a similar process whenever I teach it to new people and it's worked well for me so far.
Thanks for the link, that's a great place to start. Unfortunately, there are a couple of important things missing from his playthrough that I'm afraid newcomers need to at least know about, namely: combat, encounters, upgrades and structures. So I'll take this as a starting point and, I guess, add on to it.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I start by explaining the star track and how to win the game and then use the reference card up through explaining the turns. Each time I explain an action that could result in a star (bolster, move, deploy, build, etc.), I refer back to how to win the game. After that, I work my way around the board explaining each section, beginning with the popularity track and then moving to building bonuses, encounters, objectives, factory cards (don't forget the territory bonus!) and then finish by using the combat cards to teach combat.

I've taught the game 5 or 6 times and have it down to about 15 minutes. One time we did a practice turn where I seeded each player with some resources we went around the table with each player trying something different.

I like to interject with tips at the beginning and then back off when I see the light come on. I've yet to win a game that I taught, so I must be an awesome teacher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play usually with people that want to know it all before we start. So here's what I have done so far:

1. Most money wins, but the game ends when someone places a 6th star, here is what you get stars for ...
2. The actions one can take (explain the concept of one or both etc.
2.1 the individual top row actions: Trade, Produce, Bolster, Move
2.2 After move I quickly explain the difference between the pieces: Character, Mech, workers (who can transport what and who can move into combat) and how combat works.
2.3 The bottom row actions and the abilities of the buildings, the was mech upgrades work etc.
3. Last I do the actual scoring categories and also the factory cards( i guess one could also do that during 2.2 but I always forgot so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie's point is don't overwhelm players at the beginning with teaching ahead on rules that won't come up in the beginning.

It's more interesting for players if you give them the basics, then do a play through where each player choses a different top action, you demonstrate how that top actions works, and the other players see how that worked for that player. Then let them get in several rounds of game play in their beginning area when the early game is largely solitaire, choosing the top four actions, while encouraging them to amass the resources to choose the bottom four actions, and you demonstrate in a play through style how each of those work as they come the first time as well. At this time you'll point out that players will get a star for repeating bottom actions so many times, while introducing the building and recruit types and how they work.

Only once someone figures out how to cross the river do they need to learn the additional rules of how players interact with the factory and through combat.

Jamie's method requires you being aware of the other players instead of just hunkering down and playing your own side. You will probably lose every game you teach in. But on the plus side the other players will enjoy it more and so it's more likely you'll get it back to the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the rules are easy to explain step by step. Move is the most complicated one; you have to make sure to hit the following points:

* Pieces of all types can carry arbitrarily many resources.
* Mechs (and only mechs) can carry arbitrarily many workers, and can fiddle with pick-up/drop-off if they have multiple spaces of movement.
* Move does not allow you move the same unit twice in the same turn (though you can carry a unit and then move it).
* Characters (and only characters) can initiate encounters and the Factory.
* Here's how combat works... The loser gets a consolation prize if they committed any nonzero amount of resources to the fight.
* Units cannot cross rivers or enter lakes unless you have an ability that says otherwise.
* Movement ends the moment you enter a space with a non-building item of someone else's color, even if you have extra move. (There's no one-to-one pinning as there is in Eclipse.)
* Tunnels are adjacent to each other.
* Resolve combat before resolving encounter / Factory. (I think? It does matter, though; some encounters provide power or combat cards. Factory definitely comes last.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Thomson
United Kingdom
Chipping Norton
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
I try and cover as many of the following as I can, but some people still just want to jump right in!

BACKGROUND
It's the mid-1920s. Eastern Europe is recovering from a terrible war. The Factory, a technologically advanced city state that provided weapons for the conflict, has collapsed, leaving you and your neighbours to exploit whatever you can find in the ruins.

AIM
The winner is whoever has most money at the end of the game.

You earn money throughout game and at the end based on:

• number of stars placed (and the game ends immediately when someone puts out their sixth star)
• number of controlled territories (the Factory is worth 3)
• every 2 resources

More popular = more money

Also get money for where you place structures, depending on the structure bonus.

TURNS
Player board has 4 sections.

On your turn choose a section - you can't choose the same one as last time.

Do the top action, or bottom action, or top then bottom, or you can effectively pass by doing nothing, but you still have to choose a section.

TOP ROW
Move
• Two figures 1 space.
• Three types of unit. Start with your character and two workers. Add more workers and mechs.
• At start, can't move over river or into lake
• Cannot move into Home
• Tunnels are adjacent
• All units can carry resources
• Mechs can carry workers - can move 1 person 2 spaces
• Workers can't enter territory controlled by others
• Mechs and Character can, and force back workers, but lose popularity (this ends their movement)
• If territory has another mech or character then fight! (explain later)
• If character gets to factory, get new action space. All Factory cards let you move 1 unit two spaces.
• Characters have encounters - choose 1 of 3 options - all give you good stuff but might cost something

Produce
• Choose 2 spaces for production - all workers produce
• Workers on village produce workers
• More workers = more costs

Bolster
• Money = power!

Trade
• Money = 2 resource

BOTTOM ROW
Upgrade - move a cube from top to bottom. Gives extra benefit on top and makes bottom cheaper
Deploy - build a mech - place it where you have a worker - mechs give new abilities to self and character
Build - build a structure where you have workers
• Territories with structures are under your control
• Mill acts as worker - lets you produce on an extra territory
• Mine lets you move to tunnel
Enlist - get a one time bonus, and an ongoing bonus when you or neighbours take selected bottom action

COMBAT
• Choose power to spend from dial
• May add x cards where x=mechs+characters involved
• Reveal dial and cards
• Attacker wins tie
• Loser retreats
• Loser gains a combat card if they spent a card or any power
• Winner loses y popularity where y=number of workers
• Mechs can carry workers back onto board from home
• You can still enter combat even with zero popularity
• Multiple combats possible and resolved one at a time

FACTION BOARD
• Special ability for faction
• Special ability for Mechs
• One-time bonus for Enlist

OBJECTIVES
• Start with 2 objectives
• When you complete one discard the other

ACHIEVEMENTS
• popular to top
• power to max
• complete objective
• win combat x2
• build 4 structures
• deploy 4 mechs
• produce all workers
• make 4 enlistments
• do all upgrades

GO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee Thomson wrote:
I try and cover as many of the following as I can, but some people still just want to jump right in!

This is excellent. I've used it a couple of times and now have a copy printed out to keep in the box. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.