Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike m
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 player game of runewars, base only (couple bow components), using revised rules but only to 5 runes / 6 years. Total time 5 hours.

We used Ru Steppes 2010 tournament map and randomly chose factions. I was Waiqar, sadsumit=Daqan, dbaker17=Latari, slei=Uthuk. This was our 6th game of runewars, and waiqar has won 4 of prev 5 and has gained the reputation of being overpowered. Would that still hold?

Last hellhound standing laughs
at pegagusesi.

There was a lot of complaining that Waiqar had all the food, which was true, but Waiqar needs food the least. Ru Steppes uses all 9 tiles, so resources are plentiful, most people had their dials pretty high most of the game, and there was little starvation. The complaining was probably pre-emptive loss explanation.

First 2 years

Given the large map, there was no interaction for the first 2 years. Waiqar went heavy with influence and hero, which is surely the worst way to play Waiqar. I laughed at the elves for losing to 2 hellhounds, so elves played proof of goodwill and took one of Waiqar's tactics cards, leaving me short for tactical dominance objective. (Elves did not know about the objective, so Waiqar just grieved quietly.)

The elves would live to succumb
another day. Also, the uthuk
front door stronghold.

Third year

Spring's prepare for the coming year let everyone draw new objectives - a major missed opportunity for Waiqar after what happened in winter. (No one knew about this, so Waiqar internally raged quietly.) Meanwhile, Uthuk and Latari clashed with large forces, with Uthuk eventually winning. Waiqar built a stronghold and 3-rout development in a choke point, preventing Daqan access to the 3-food region (which would never be occupied by anyone in the game!).

3 food for no one mwuhahaha.

Uthuk built a stronghold and later a 4-damage development in a choke point entering her realm. Uthuk looked powerful.

Fourth year

Daqan strongholded next to the undead stronghold, then pushed the rest of his troops toward Latari in search of more food. The elves took a beating with both Daqan and Uthuk hammering away. Daqan played coercion, coercing Waiqar's hero Krutzbeck to join the humans - and stealing a timorran shard! Also, Krutzbeck was standing on the spot to complete another Waiqar quest the following year, so it was a devastating blow. (Everyone knew, so Waiqar raged publicly.)

Waiqar built a stronghold and later a 3-rout development facing Uthuk. Waiqar lovers slapped their collective foreheads at these low aggression moves, allowing Uthuk to churn out Chaos Lords.

eoy4 score (estimated): Uthuk 3, Daqan 3, Waiqar 2, Latari 2.

Fifth year

Spring saw the other prepare for the coming year show up. More objectives!

Meanwhile, Daqan got faked out by Latari player's bad acting and went after a fake rune. This turned out to be critical, bec it diverted a human forces away from the undead.

In winter, power for the pious forced the elves to put dragon runes in each opponent's area. Mayhem ensued:
* Latari captured the location where he had just placed Daqan's rune (out toward the center of the map). Sorceresses were awesome, ejecting 2 siege engines.
* But Daqan had rally cry, stood up his retreated siege engines, and recaptured. Humans rally, elves cry!
* Waiqar acted like an idiot and didn't use his conquer to take the Uthuk rune placed by the event, allowing Uthuk to move it deep in her home realm.

eoy5 score (estimated): Uthuk 4, Daqan 4, Waiqar 3, Latari 2.

Waiqar gather for grateful dead
concert. Not attack preparations.

Sixth and final year

The year opened with new recruits, just to make sure everyone had tons of units for battle. Daqan and Waiqar actually ran out of units so couldn't make full use of the event!

Uthuk had the most influence (very un-Uthuk-like), so her priority was getting the contested human rune, since she would win ties. However, they and the elves kept tripping over each other, and the human defense held.

Waiqar mounted a massive attack on the Daqan border stronghold and won, then used favor of the warriors' guild to pick up the activation token and launch a second attack on the next deeper region, which held a dragon rune. Daqan prepared a large counterstrike force to recapture that rune.

Daqan forces gathering, just
before their servers got hacked.

Then Daqan received a true gift for the rich - giving him a dragon rune for having the most combined resources; recapturing the Waiqar rune would give humans the win. Uthuk played garrison to make sure she could go first. (We play with #0 garrison order and also expansion title and quests.) She used horrific rumors tactic, placed a Daqan activation token on the contested Waiqar rune, and prevented his counterattack!

At this moment, the (estimated, and actually correct) score was Uthuk 4, Daqan 4, Waiqar 4, Latari 2. Uthuk would win by influence.

Then Waiqar, going last, revealed a completed objective - 8 on the food dial, which was perfect for Waiqar on this map - and obtained a 5th rune!

Final score: Waiqar 5, Uthuk 4 (most influence), Daqan 4, Latari 2.

---

Few comments:
* the game was awesome and epic, as usual. I didn't like the larger size, but otherwise i think the map was fine.
* this was the first game that i felt a 7th year would've helped, prob due to large map. We play to 6 years simple due to time constraints.
* i am not good at this game and i played badly. On top of not utilizing my faction benefits very well, i made a ton of errors. But other players made mistakes also, so that balances out. Go team!
* waiqar benefited from low score. Only 1 timorran shard was found, which was stolen by daqan, and unplayed events were heavy with granting runes. The low score forced game to the full distance, allowing catch up.
* Latari sorceresses looked really good. Being able to pick a unit to retreat was huge. This is one of the units that has gotten better as we have gotten more experience.
* this game does a good job of keeping it competitive even when losing.
* garrison has had a huge game-changing impact on exactly one turn in each of the past 2 games. I recommend to play with this order - adds options with 0 complexity.
* waiqar now 5 of 6. Lovers gonna love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up. I think this is one of the most brilliantly-designed and executed "empires" games ever published. One of my never-sell-this "heirloom games."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the write up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been dying to play this recently! Thanks for the write-up, it at least partially satisfies the urge.

I love playing on the Ru Steppes map when playing with 4 players. But maybe I should try using the normal setup rules since you seemed concerned about the size of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
I love playing on the Ru Steppes map when playing with 4 players. But maybe I should try using the normal setup rules since you seemed concerned about the size of the map.

we actually still don't like to make our own maps - tried it once and didn't prefer it. we have now almost cycled through all the maps i found and saved. we'll probably finish cycling through and then start over again.

so far, my favorite was pbf1 - generally agreed by all to be excellent - and one guy in the group really liked pbf5. (pbf6 looks very bad to me for player in upper left, we might skip that one.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a great game. It's just so intimidating to bring it to the table. You just have to do it.
Invite three friend for an early start on a saturday and go with it.
Never start a game after 6:00 PM or people will start complaining that it's to long.
Everyone has to be clear that this is going to take a while and you shouldn't have plans for the evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.