Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have multiple buys, and my first card is a card that gives me debt, can I pay it off before my second buy? (I would think so, because otherwise, I could just buy the cards in a different order, and I can't think of any cases offhand where buy order matters.)

If I have multiple buys, can I use them each to acquire debt-giving cards (that each exceed my money total after playing treasures)? I'm suspecting not, if the debt is acquired immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gemini6Ice wrote:
If I have multiple buys, and my first card is a card that gives me debt, can I pay it off before my second buy? (I would think so, because otherwise, I could just buy the cards in a different order, and I can't think of any cases offhand where buy order matters.)

This question doesn't have anything to do with buy order: for example, the two cards might be identical (both have a debt cost).

I thought this would be completely clear in the rulebook, but actually it's not very clear at all.

A player removes Debt tokens in the player's Buy phase by paying $1 per Debt token to remove it; this is done after playing Treasures, but can be done both before and after buying cards. Removing Debt does not use up a Buy.

I believe the correct interpretation is that each time you buy a card you can then remove Debt before buying more cards. But "both before and after buying cards" is ambiguous and could also be interpreted as after all buys.

Another issue with the rulebook is that "before and after buying cards" doesn't say if you can remove Debt after buying an Event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules wrote:
A player removes Debt tokens in the player's Buy phase by paying per Debt token to remove it; this is done after playing Treasures, but can be done both before and after buying cards. Removing Debt does not use up a Buy.

So you buy a card that gives you debt, then you may pay off debt, and then use another buy if you have one.

Edit: ninja

I agree, the rules could be clearer on "before and after cards," since that could be argued to mean "before and after buying (all) cards." It doesn't seem like that is the intent, and there's no clear examples to prove the argument either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Gemini6Ice wrote:
If I have multiple buys, and my first card is a card that gives me debt, can I pay it off before my second buy?

Yes.

Gemini6Ice wrote:
If I have multiple buys, can I use them each to acquire debt-giving cards (that each exceed my money total after playing treasures)? I'm suspecting not, if the debt is acquired immediately.

You can use multiple buys to each buy debt-giving cards/events, but only if you pay off the debt in-between each time. While you have debt, you cannot buy cards or Events, and yes you get the debt immediately, before moving on to the next buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.