Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had to move to smaller shelves for my games, so I put all my game expansions into the corresponding base game boxes. I was going to recycle the expansion boxes, but then I thought that maybe I can do something else with them.

Unfortunately, I couldn't think of anything, so I was hoping that maybe y'all had some ideas? What would y'all do with empty expansion boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witt
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a dice tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Williams
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started a Board Game wall and am going to hang mine there as wall art. It's small now, but I expect it to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be a kid again - build a fort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I store the duplicate components, extra pieces or items replaced by pimped items in the expansion box For example: Ticket to Ride the small cards, extra train cars, wooden markers go in the Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I use them to store some ziplock and card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-cover them to use for PnP games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sanchezja wrote:

Along those same lines, if you sleeved a smaller card game and it no longer fits in the original box (Oh My Goods, Sushi Go etc..), you could cover then use an expansion box left over from another game.

Great Sanchezi think alike!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sanchezja wrote:

Or prototypes, if one dabbles in design. Maybe the OP should start designing as a hobby to have a good use for his empty expansion boxes!

(Alternatively, if you know a designer in your area, you can probably offload the boxes on him or her...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recycle them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can't use expansion boxes for a game, or general storage I recycle them. I consider, "Do I really want to store and move this box around for the rest of my life?" And then I say, "No, I will recycle it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Toss them along with the original game boxes. Put the original game and the expansion into a plastic tub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Toss them along with the original game boxes. Put the original game and the expansion into a plastic tub.

Monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it to a cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recycled most of mine a few months ago, and recently have wished I'd kept a FEW more of them, mostly for PnP games and for mailing other games in when I do an auction. But if you don't have a use for them, don't hold on to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb

I only keep them if:
A) I need to store extra components (LCG core sets, etc.)
B) More content will come out that will require an additional box (Descent, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
They tend to be really sturdy, so if you send a lot of packages, use them instead of regular cardboard boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep stuff in them. Race for the galaxy and netrunner expansions are conveniently sized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'll keep 1-2 to store components and recycle the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwarrend wrote:
sanchezja wrote:

Or prototypes, if one dabbles in design. Maybe the OP should start designing as a hobby to have a good use for his empty expansion boxes!

(Alternatively, if you know a designer in your area, you can probably offload the boxes on him or her...)

This is what I do with mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.