10 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: When to play (when do you play) the outsider card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bigbadVuk
Norway
flag msg tools
In the rules the "Event" description makes it seem like the outsider(s) card should be played at once, but perhaps doesn't have to. So this uncertainty we solved by thinking "well it makes sense that you're looking through the library and all of a sudden you run in to 2 people that you pretty much gotta bring back with you".

This of course makes the game quiiiite hard, as you might get slammed by a bunch of useless people and the need for a lot of food, still makes it very nail-biting when you're close to end game and you're just praying no more people show up.

Do most people play it the "normal" way? As in, play the card whenever you feel like? Anyone tried both, if so which do you prefer?

I should definitely check out the normal way and see how hard the game is then. (Reminds me of that one time I played with 4 new people and didn't notice I looked at the hard mode side of an objective... didn't bode well for us)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have to play it at all and you may play it any time during your turn. Think of it as you found evidence of people there, but you haven't seen them yet. Alternatively, you found them, but they are traumatized and ran from you so they can't join the colony until you convince them it's safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or they said, "Can we please join you at the colony?" and you said you would think it over and maybe agree to it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is play it like any other item, when you please. I believe in The Long Night there is at least one goal where the player wants to accumulate Outsider cards in hand, so it would be impossible to play it the way you are talking about and win for that player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unfortunate that they used the word "Event" because many long-time boardgamers have seen events in other games as cards that must be played immediately. I wish it didn't have any card type, or maybe "Outsiders" as the card type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
It's unfortunate that they used the word "Event" because many long-time boardgamers have seen events in other games as cards that must be played immediately. I wish it didn't have any card type, or maybe "Outsiders" as the card type.

Yeah, I agree. We played the game instinctively and it wasn't until another read through of the rules did we realise you could play them at any time. An unexpected side effect was a betrayer hoarding these cards to promote unleashing them all at once to cause starvation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bigbadVuk
Norway
flag msg tools
Alright thanks all. Yeah I can see it working as a "I know there are peoplethere, but I don't have to tell them about our colony.

It definitely can make the game easier, so I'm not complaining too much. I can't remember the last time the good guys won, haha. It's still about the experience, and that has been great in most of my play throughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:

I think part of the reason it says event is because it wants to make them different from items that can be passed around. At least we have played that you can't pass outsiders cards. You are right, outsiders might have been a better name for the type to clarify the confusion on event card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
Mr Quacko wrote:

I think part of the reason it says event is because it wants to make them different from items that can be passed around. At least we have played that you can't pass outsiders cards.

Oh - we play that we can request outsiders cards. I guess your interpretation is probably correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outsider cards can be requested and passed to other players. From the FAQ:

Quote:
3.1.2 When I draw an Outsider Card do I have to reveal it immediately?
No. Outsider cards work like any other item card, you may keep them in your hand until you want to
play them. You can even request and play these cards into the crisis, just like any other item card.

Thematically we assume this is "Hey, I saw some people over by the gas station. You should go see if they want to come back the the colony."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.