Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carol Carpenter
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been able to get my non-gamer husband interested in 3 games: Ingenious, Ticket to Ride, and Scotland Yard.
After playing the latter, he asked, "Do you have any more games where you move around a map, or travel on a map? Especially if it's of a real city or region. That's what I like about Ticket to Ride and Scotland Yard."

So, looking for suggestions. I have several other TTR maps, so that's not a problem.

Next I will try Carcassonne with him even though it's really not one of my favorites.

Here are some games that would NOT work, even though they may seem to fit the idea:
*Any of the 10 Days in... series (he found it non-interactive, solitaire)
*Transamerica (I don't like that game)
*Metro or any of those similar build-a-twisty-path games (I don't like them)
*Any of the many games where, as another user recently said, you "place dudes on a map." I am not looking for that, or for the endless list of Euros that have a map that you basically place cubes on for resources or area majority.

Also, he has NO patience for long rules or complexity. If I can't describe the rules in a minute or two, he'll decide "it's too complicated"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider Legends of Andor, though it is not a real place.

The rules explain themselves, set up and go, and it is a coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out on a limb: Power Grid ?
(Lots of real regions, building the network is a bit like traveling.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic or Airlines Europe might do the trick. Both have the map and are "non-gamer" friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Cinque Terre, a light pickup and deliver game, you are travelling between farm fields and five villages on the coast of Italy. These five villages actually exist although the travelling only involves moving along the same 8 space in the most efficient way possible to obtain and sell goods and meet your objectives.

I will second Airlines Europe, a game in which you are extending routes to push stock prices up whilst trying to obtain shares in those companies. I'm not sure how good it is with 2.

Lewis & Clark is a game I love. It's significantly heavier than Ticket and you are only racing across a single track but the board is beautiful and the travel route/map combined with the gameplay reminds me very much of old Native American maps where the scale was time not distance.

Finally, a great one is Concordia. In it you are travelling around the ancient Mediterranean by land and sea, establishing cities, producing goods and trading. Terrific maps in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he likes Scotland Yard then I'd suggest Letters from Whitechapel as the next step up.

Now, the rule book does make the game look way more complex than it really is, so I'd recommend watching a how to play video first. You should also play as Jack The Ripper in your first game(s) so you can act as a pseudo moderator and explain your husband's options (he'll be playing the police) as you go.

If that really is too complicated for him, Lost Cities: The Board Game has a fictional map, of sorts, and is super simple gateway game, that I've had success introducing to non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trekking the National Parks is a straight forward game with players traveling around the US with National Parks as destinations.

Jet Set has European routes with superficial similarities to TtR maps. In this game, however, there is an added element that you must earn money in order to build routes.

Another game of lesser visibility from the same designer as Jet Set, Switching Tracks has players physically moving trains around a stylized US map in order to pick up and deliver goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Backpacks and Blisters

Not sure if it counts as twisty paths, but if you can get a copy On the Underground

A bit of a luckiest, but fun if you can stand luck being against you sometimes, but what about Thebes

A bit off the wall, Yellowstone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

A bit off the wall, Yellowstone

even further off ... Geysers of Yellowstone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido?

+1 Cinque terra
I love Concordia and Lewis and Clark but they might be too complex for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror sauronsauronsauron

(just kidding, this is a bad suggestion laugh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding Fathers: Before politics became a reality show.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
On the Underground and Tokaido (as already mentioned)
Auf Achse
Empire Builder series
Expedition
Silverton
Rails of New England
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes

Africana

Around the World in 80 Days

The Voyages of Marco Polo though it is somew euro-like worker placement involved

+1 for Pandemic

+1 for Eldritch Borror, even if quite a heavy weight game, it has a very Indiana-Jones-adeventureness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Pandemic - great theme that people can get in line with (who doesn't want to save the world), it gives you something to work together on, it has relatively short time, short and clear rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for suggestions!

Cinque Terre seems to be the best option in terms of the easy of play. I will also try Lost Cities with him, not because of the map, but just because, well, it's Lost Cities--the classic spouse game!

By the way, we play games with 3--him, me and our son (13 yrs).

Pandemic might not appeal to him theme-wise, but it's worth trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also vote for Pandemic.

It's the quintessential cooperative game, which also means that there is no stress in memorising all the rules at once, since you are playing and planning as a team.

I would give it a try. Good luck !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Trekking the National Parks is a straight forward game with players traveling around the US with National Parks as destinations.

Jet Set has European routes with superficial similarities to TtR maps. In this game, however, there is an added element that you must earn money in order to build routes.

Another game of lesser visibility from the same designer as Jet Set, Switching Tracks has players physically moving trains around a stylized US map in order to pick up and deliver goods.

thumbsup

All three excellent suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thebes and Pandemic, both already suggested, are also what come to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding Fathers: Before politics became a reality show.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Near and Far
Above and Below
Tales of the Arabian Nights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
I have been able to get my non-gamer husband interested in 3 games: Ingenious, Ticket to Ride, and Scotland Yard.
After playing the latter, he asked, "Do you have any more games where you move around a map, or travel on a map? Especially if it's of a real city or region. That's what I like about Ticket to Ride and Scotland Yard."

So, looking for suggestions. I have several other TTR maps, so that's not a problem.

Next I will try Carcassonne with him even though it's really not one of my favorites.

Here are some games that would NOT work, even though they may seem to fit the idea:
*Any of the 10 Days in... series (he found it non-interactive, solitaire)
*Transamerica (I don't like that game)
*Metro or any of those similar build-a-twisty-path games (I don't like them)
*Any of the many games where, as another user recently said, you "place dudes on a map." I am not looking for that, or for the endless list of Euros that have a map that you basically place cubes on for resources or area majority.

Also, he has NO patience for long rules or complexity. If I can't describe the rules in a minute or two, he'll decide "it's too complicated"

Your husband sounds exactly like my wife. You know, with the exception of the whole gender thing. You didn't mention anything about disliking "take that" elements, so there are some screwage games listed below. I'm skipping games that have already been mentioned (Pandemic, Tokaido, etc.)

Games she likes that involve a map and has told me she would be willing to play again:

Agents of SMERSH - a storytelling coop with a 1960s James Bond spoof theme.

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork - a simple area control/variable player powers game set in the late Terry Pratchett's satirical fantasy universe. No knowledge of the book series is needed (I've never read any of them).

Eight-Minute Empire (or it's sequel) - a VERY simple and light area control/majority game.

Expedition: Famous Explorers - this is a retheme of the Wolfgang Kramer classic.

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra - much like Scotland Yard, this is a retheme of Mr. Jack, except it has a Phantom of the Opera theme.

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game - this one is probably pushing it in terms of rules explanation, but you can always explain parts as you go, and usually the whole "Indiana Jones: The Board Game" idea is helpful to dudes uninterested in modern gaming.

Nuns on the Run - another similar to Scotland Yard, this one has a humorous theme of naughty kids in a convent trying to hide from a nun chasing them through the hallways.

Tammany Hall - possibly the most cutthroat screw you game ever designed.

Tiny Epic Kingdoms - a gateway 4X game with a fantasy theme that plays in a half hour or so. A ton of replayability thanks to all the factions.

All of the above games are playable with just 2, except Tammany Hall (3-5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Josh. I will look into all of these.

I hadn't known about Expedition: Famous Explorers! It looks very appealing, and with a current weight (complexity rating) of under 2, it sounds ideal!!

I am also going to suggest to him 8 Minute Empire. That's one of my faves.

I own, but have never played, Le Fantôme de l'Opéra. Since my son would probably not be that interested in it, I am heartened to see it has been rated as good with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
A real suggestion: Freedom: The Underground Railroad

Historical theme, real world map and setting, easy to learn, and very very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales Of the Arabian Nights

Thurn And Taxis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel is the penultimate in the Scotland Yard type games. Fury of Dracula is arguably the best of these.

Pandemic is a very important map game. A lot of fun; very popular.

Eldritch Horror is probably one of the best map movers in which you actually get the sense of traveling the world.

------

All of these may err on the complicated side. However, I've found that getting people to play more complicated games is all in your approach and how you entice them. I don't know your husband though, so take that with a grain (or two) of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.