Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Find the Weakness OP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris C
msg tools
Just wondering if anyone else has been wondering about this card "Find the Weakness" and if it should have a lower influence cost and become an attachment. The card itself costs 4 influence and adds when an imperial figure is attacking apply pierce +1. It doesn't seem very OP but in the Return to Hoth campaign that my group is playing now 3 out of the 4 heroes roll white dice that have a max of only 1 block, a block and dodge, a blank, and as we call it "the god roll" that blocks all incoming damage, it is a 1 and 6 chance. Now with this find the weakness card any rebel player with a white dice roll now ONYL has a 1 in 6 chance of blocking damage. Plus with other imperial cards and units making those players re roll the white dice even when they roll the God roll. Now to me it seems a little unfair that the heros have boarder line 0 defense and this ability is applied to ALL imperial figures for instance 1 group of normal stormtroopers can wound a hero with a white dice pool unopposed and 0 damage reduction minus a possible surge block. We have seen it happen a few times now within round one 2 heroes wounded and we were on a mission that required healthy heros to interact with termanals. So by turn 2 the mission was over. Does this seem unfair? Are we using this card correctly? If so should this card be debuffed or reduced to an attachment? Any thoughts on this would be awesome. Never thought I would see the day I would rather see the empire with the emperial industry card instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you must be playing some rule wrong.

Also,

line breaks

are

your friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are using the card correctly.

Note that it costs 4xp, not 4 influence.

White dice don't have any blocks on half the faces, so half the time, find the weakness has no effect.

It is strong, but no more so than other 4xp cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find the Weakness essentially adds +1 damage 50% of the time against a white die. Against a black die, it adds +1 damage 83% of the time.

Some other skills provide a similar amount of benefit:
- Superior Augments (4 xp) gives every figure with an attachment +1 damage all the time, and you can likely give most of your groups an attachment, even if it's just the lowly Jetpacks
- Adaptive Weapons (4 xp) allows you to replace Blue or Yellow dice with Red dice, which is often worth about +1 damage
- Shock Troopers (3 xp) gives Troopers +1 surge at close range, which will apply to most of your units and often be worth about +1 damage
- No Quarter (4 xp) gives anyone attacking a hero with 2 or more strain +1 surge, which will be almost all attacks (because you're Subversive Tactics and you're loading the heroes with strain), and it'll often be worth about +1 damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierce 1 is better against the black defense die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
msg tools
Thank you for the fast responses and sorry I prefer to just paragraph everything haha. I truly hate this card it really sucks for heroes to roll the 1 block and have it removed 24/7 and pretty much always giving the empire the ability to add surge abilities. Been lots of rolls of 2 surges with 1 damage that always hits. Any competiant empire player knows stuns and bleeds = a win for the empire

Also sorry yes I meant to say Exp not influence

Think in the future this card might be treated like subversive tactics for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using this card in my campaign, I saved up for it and had it by the 5th mission, at which point the Rebels stopped winning (they were on a streak). It became very easy to pour on damage and quickly wound the rebels by favoring deployments with 2-3 figures.

I would agree it's OP if youre spamming lots of troopers, and it makes getting conditions through so much easier, allowing me to consistently stun and bleed the heroes without having to spend surges on extra damage. Eventually I had to give my Rebel players some buffs to make it challenging for me again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually decided to go the Single Minded route with this deck, and shockingly enough the Rebels feel that card is OP'd. The ability to manipulate the die to what you want has been just enough to wound a rebel in various rounds so its been great. Overall, Precision training I find to be a very powerful deck. Single Minded, combined with Exacting strike and Versatile attack (yes it costs 3 threat) but holy hell can you cause a lot of damage. The deck is interesting in that as an Imperial you'll have less units on the board but your attacks overall become more useful and consistently do more damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Young
msg tools
Dang. Precision Training is pretty crazy. I forgot about the one that lets you remove a die from their pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
jakers98 wrote:
Dang. Precision Training is pretty crazy. I forgot about the one that lets you remove a die from their pool.

Exacting Strike costs 2 threat and can be used only once per round. I would not call it that crazy. But it may be something you need to overcome the white die and Foresight though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.