Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We got confused by a couple of icons:

w/[Worker]: does this mean that you can only do this action if you have a worker on the map?

on [Mech]: does this means that the benefit (I forget what it was in this case) is dropped on the space with a mech?

Is there a table or index of all the factory cards somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
We got confused by a couple of icons:

w/[Worker]: does this mean that you can only do this action if you have a worker on the map?

on [Mech]: does this means that the benefit (I forget what it was in this case) is dropped on the space with a mech?

Is there a table or index of all the factory cards somewhere?

w/worker means you have to place it on the board with one of your workers.

On mech means that it needs to go on a space with a mech.

edit: i'd say that you can't do the actions if you don't have a place to put them.

I think this is all the cards, and I'll link it here for reference since it has the symbols you mention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"w/" always means "put the results in a space containing one of your...". In the case of w/[Worker], you must put the resources (Trade), Mech (Deploy), or structure (Build) in a space containing at least one of your workers (subject to extra conditions in the case of Build). In the case of the factory cards that say w/[Mech], you must put the resources or worker in a space containing one of your mechs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Makes sense, but card 14 says "On Mech" whereas with workers, the cards say "With Worker". Why the different terminology?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
Makes sense, but card 14 says "On Mech" whereas with workers, the cards say "With Worker". Why the different terminology?

I think it is saying that the mech is carrying it. Perhaps it is to answer the question of can you add workers with a mech that is on water since workers can't be on water. This just makes it explicited that the mech is at least temporarily carrying the worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
R S: They serve different functions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There could easily be something saying w/ building, and you'd just place the resource/other thing into a territory with a building. At least that's how I understood this particular Factory card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:

Because the resulting worker from the action has to go where you have a Mech. The ability is unusable if you don't have one in a territory.

Similar to the W/worker abilities. The resulting things you get from the action have to go where you have a worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JumboCactaur wrote:
schiavonir wrote:

Because the resulting worker from the action has to go where you have a Mech. The ability is unusable if you don't have one in a territory.

Similar to the W/worker abilities. The resulting things you get from the action have to go where you have a worker.

Schiavonir was asking "why not just say w/mech to be consistent with w/worker?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Because you place the Worker not where a Mech stands, but ON a mech.

This could be a Mech on a lake or your home base space, where normally a Worker may not be placed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's an important additional detail, too.

If something says to gain "w/ worker", the worker has to be on a territory, NOT home base. (See rule pages 12, 13, 15, 18)

If something says to gain "on mech", the mech has to be on a territory, NOT home base. (See Factory Card 14, https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23272314#23272314)

This sort of thing means, for example, that you cannot use Deploy to drop a mech into your own home base.

Almecho wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

Because you place the Worker not where a Mech stands, but ON a mech.

This could be a Mech on a lake or your home base space, where normally a Worker may not be placed!

Actually, Jamey ruled the bolded is illegal because home base is not intended to be a place you can gain something. See the link above about Factory Card 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

If something says to gain "w/ mech", the mech has to be on a territory, NOT home base. (See Factory Card 14, https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23272314#23272314)

but nothing ever says "w/ mech" just "on mech".

I do think w/ mech would have been clear enough.

Perhaps it was done to make it look different enough so that nobody thinks it reads w/ worker? (especially since it is only done this way once)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Jamey, can you please help us out? I think we all get that "W/" and "ON" mean essentially the same thing, but can you explain why two different words were used? As opposed to just "W/" for all of them? Is there a nuance we are missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Jamey, can you please help us out? I think we all get that "W/" and "ON" mean essentially the same thing, but can you explain why two different words were used? As opposed to just "W/" for all of them? Is there a nuance we are missing?

Perhaps thematic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the phrasing. You "Produce with workers on up to 2 territories" opposed to "Gain a worker and 2 coins on a mech" or "Gain a structure with (using) a worker". Sorry for any confusions it's caused!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.