Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone give me a brief, quick rundown why this expansion is nice to have? I've heard many people say it's required. I played the original game and thought it to be OK but it was just missing something that I couldn't identify. I kind of want to buy it again and add this xpac though I'm not sure. I know I can read reviews but I'm weird and will read all of them and I just don't have that kind of time laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Aside from adding the option for an extra player, and for a longer game, there are 2 small expansions included. One has cards with high rewards at high cost, so it adds some "big wins" into the game.

The more interesting one adds in corruption. There are spaces or actions that give you more rewards, but also give you corruption. These tokens are worth negative points at the end of the game. The more corruption tokens that have been taken, the higher the penalty. This adds an interesting dynamic where you can take a slight penalty in order to get a higher reward, but you don't know exactly what that penalty will be at the end. If several people are getting corruption tokens, they will be very bad at the end, so you have to weigh the risks.

I think this mechanic adds a lot to the game, but if you didn't care for it in the first place, I don't think this is going to change your mind. It may be the little bit that was missing, but maybe not. Maybe Champions of Midgard is more of what you're looking for (which has a lot of similarities to LoW, but with some dice rolling and other changes that make it a bit more exciting)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't going to redeem the base game. If you didn't like that, this won't do much for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:

I think this mechanic adds a lot to the game, but if you didn't care for it in the first place, I don't think this is going to change your mind. It may be the little bit that was missing, but maybe not. Maybe Champions of Midgard is more of what you're looking for (which has a lot of similarities to LoW, but with some dice rolling and other changes that make it a bit more exciting)

Great description of the Corruption mechanic. Corruption by itself adds so much to the game. Like all good expansions, Scoundrels of Skullport adds a lot more to the game. Extra player ,more lords, more places to place your workers, more buildings cards, more quests and Intrigue cards. I would say you should try it before you buy it. Find some one who has the expansion and try it out first. It is well worth it.

As work placement games go in my view I would get Raiders of the North Sea instead of Champions of Midgard if I wanted a Viking themed. Though if you are into the worker placement mechanic then there are Viticulture, Caverna/Agricola, Orléans, Alien Frontiers, and a 1000 more. All great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
theflan045 wrote:
markblasco wrote:

Great description of the Corruption mechanic. Corruption by itself adds so much to the game. Like all good expansions, Scoundrels of Skullport adds a lot more to the game. Extra player ,more lords, more places to place your workers, more buildings cards, more quests and Intrigue cards. I would say you should try it before you buy it. Find some one who has the expansion and try it out first. It is well worth it.

As work placement games go in my view I would get Raiders of the North Sea instead of Champions of Midgard if I wanted a Viking themed. Though if you are into the worker placement mechanic then there are Viticulture, Caverna/Agricola, Orléans, Alien Frontiers, and a 1000 more. All great games.

Definitely lots of options for worker placement games. It seems to me that Champions of Midgard has a similar feel to Lords of Waterdeep (obtaining warriors, going on quests, etc), but with more excitement/unpredictability due to the dice mechanic. This may be the thing that the original poster feels is missing. Lords of Waterdeep has very little unknown or random elements, and some people really want some of that in their games (especially with a dungeons and dragons theme).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.