Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding a non-turreted tank vehicle or AT Gun with a limited covered arc:
Can the unit fire only out of the one hex to which the red/gray triangle points to?
...or also the hex to its right and left?

In other words, is the full (3 hex) facing arc also the limited covered arc for firing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it can only fire on the hex it's facing, and the vehicle would have to pivot to hit any adjacent hex.

Disregard that. I think you're right. It's the diagram on page 14. I was confused because not all of the vehicles in my current scenario had the grey triangle - then I realized it is because they are tanks and can fire in any direction, and that I am an idiot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the firing arc is similar to the Front Arc as you find on page 14 of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure because Rule 8-6 says:

6. Vehicles with a covered arc are limited to firing their main armament in a covered arc extending from the front facing of the vehicle.

and on the diagram, only the triangle symbol is identified as the 'Unit's Facing' ???

While 25-2 says:

2. Vehicle facing is shown with the red corners on the vehicle counter,
it is pointed at a flat hexside. That hex and the hex to the left and right of it are considered the vehicle’s front arc. Attacks traced through the front arc attack the vehicle’s front Defense.

seems that the front arc is used only to identify the unit's defense direction. ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Pultorak wrote:
2. Vehicle facing is shown with the red corners on the vehicle counter,
it is pointed at a flat hexside. That hex and the hex to the left and right of it are considered the vehicle’s front arc. Attacks traced through the front arc attack the vehicle’s front Defense.

seems that the front arc is used only to identify the unit's defense direction. ???

I think it's (the diagram on p14) being used for two purposes:

1. The three hexes a non-turreted vehicle can fire through.
2. To denote the front and flank defenses for calculating attack damage on the vehicle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wish you didn't change your mind, Coln...because I am leaning toward your original opinion of the one hex ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading back over the rules, I'm pretty sure my second post is correct. A vehicle with a covered arc can only fire into the three hexes shaded blue in the page 14 diagram (basically the gunner's field of vision). Tanks can fire anywhere obviously. And any attack that can be traced through the front arc of the vehicle uses its front defense number.

In other words, your original post is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I combine the two rules above, it could read as ...

6. Vehicles with a covered arc are limited to firing their main armament in a covered arc extending from the front facing of the vehicle. Vehicle facing is shown with the red corners on the vehicle counter, it is pointed at a flat hexside.

This is what makes me think the firing is limited to through that first hexside. ???

After all, the main gun on a tank destroyer (like the StugIII) or an Anti-Tank gun is very fixed with no 'wiggle room' like a turret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I share your confusion.

We'll just have to have the designers weigh in, hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamm
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The firing arc is 3 hexes.
The covered arc triangle is pointed on the flat hex side, same as the vehicle facing triangle.
So fire can be placed out through these 3 hexes without penalty.

These points will need some clarification.

A side note, though SP guns themselves have limited traverse, during the fight vehicles would be moving tactically within the hex even if the vehicle in game is not considered moving.
The trained crew does not have to engage the tracks much to swing the gun in its front arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Shayne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.