Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so, bought and played this game this weekend. was fun, but tough and yes, we all died, one of us on their first turn. One question came up during play that I wasn't sure from the rules folder:

1. when fording a river, the card says to roll an even to successfully ford the river, roll a 1 and die of drowning. well, what happens when you roll an odd number? Do you keep rolling and hope you don't get the one while trying for an even? that's how we played it. follow up question, what happens when you roll a 1? I know you die, but does that mean we haven't successfully forded the river and the next person has to roll to get an even after the first person died?

overall, it was nice die again on the trial to Oregon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Pesta
msg tools
I had the same question. It's not worded very well. We played that as long as you did not roll a 1, you forded and it's okay. If you rolled a 1, you die and it's the next persons turn to try and roll.

Also, did not know if everyone gets supplies at towns/forts or just the person laying the trail card down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good question. we played it as if the person laying the card down gets supplies, but it would also make sense as the whole wagon train is there, too. waiting to see what people say. rules are a bit vague on these points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Leonard
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the "Roll Even to Ford, Roll 1 and Drown" I took it to mean you keep rolling until you roll an even number, but if you end up rolling a 1 during the process, nice knowing you.

For the town, we play that the entire wagon gets the benefits.

Don't make the game any harder than it already is!!! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the rolling until you get an even, but what happens then when the person rolls a 1 and dies? Would you take that to mean we DID ford the river but lost that player to drowning? or does another player need to keep rolling an even to successfully ford the river, possibly dying as well? we played it where we forded and lost one to drowning, but interested to see other people's interpretation.
Will play going forward with all players getting the benefit of the town/fort cards. You're right, don't make it MORE difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
I had exactly the same river fording question, and I contacted Pressman Toys over the weekend. This was their exact response:

Quote:
Thanks for contacting us regarding your Oregon Trail game. In regards to your question, if rolling an EVEN means that you successfully forded the river, than rolling an ODD (unless it is a 1 instant death) means that you lose one supply card. You do not have to roll multiple times until you ford the river - you just have to roll once.

This still seems a little vague to me because it seems like they're mixing the two types of river crossing cards together, but the way I'm interpreting it is this:

- Only roll once
- If you roll even, continue with no penalty.
- If you roll a 1 and the card indicates instant death, that player dies and the rest of the party continues.
- Otherwise, that player loses one supply card and the party continues.

The instant death river crossing cards don't indicate that you'd lose a supply on a 3 or 5, but eh. I'm willing to play it that way, and I think it's going to come down to personal taste.

As for the Towns and Forts, I think the rules are a little clearer: only the person playing the card follows its instructions, so that player is the only one who gets the goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you all define a round? Example: there are 4 players A, B, C & D. Player C draws a calamity card and has one round to resolve it. Does the round end after Player D finishes their turn or after player B finishes their turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
I play a "round" as every player gets one chance to respond.

In your example, Player C has played a Trail card which instructed them to draw a Calamity and now has one round to respond. Player C can't play any Supply cards because they already used their turn to play a Trail card, so play passes to D. In turn, D, A, B, and C get a chance to play Supply cards to try to save C. If, at the end of C's turn the Calamity is still in play, then C suffers the consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPFace wrote:

In your example, Player C has played a Trail card which instructed them to draw a Calamity and now has one round to respond. Player C can't play any Supply cards because they already used their turn to play a Trail card, so play passes to D. In turn, D, A, B, and C get a chance to play Supply cards to try to save C. If, at the end of C's turn the Calamity is still in play, then C suffers the consequences.

You bring up an good point about player C not being able to play a Supply card after playing a Trail card. Last night we were playing if the active player drew an Calamity card and had the cure in their hand they could play it imediately. Sounds like that was the incorrect way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPFace wrote:

This is exactly how we played it, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPFace wrote:
I had exactly the same river fording question, and I contacted Pressman Toys over the weekend. This was their exact response:

Thanks for contacting us regarding your Oregon Trail game. In regards to your question, if rolling an EVEN means that you successfully forded the river, than rolling an ODD (unless it is a 1 instant death) means that you lose one supply card. You do not have to roll multiple times until you ford the river - you just have to roll once.

This still seems a little vague to me because it seems like they're mixing the two types of river crossing cards together, but the way I'm interpreting it is this:

- Only roll once
- If you roll a 1 and the card indicates instant death, that player dies and the rest of the party continues.

The instant death river crossing cards don't indicate that you'd lose a supply on a 3 or 5, but eh. I'm willing to play it that way, and I think it's going to come down to personal taste.

As for the Towns and Forts, I think the rules are a little clearer: only the person playing the card follows its instructions, so that player is the only one who gets the goods.

Not clear in their reply, but like you said, I'm willing to play that way too. for the forts and town cards, though, I am hesitant to play it as the player who played the card as the only one to get supplies, as, thematically, the whole wagon train is there, the whole train should restock, but I see your point. the rules do say that the cards effects for trail and calamity cards apply to the person playing the card, unless otherwise specified. It just really sucks that there is no way to restock after those few cards come through. last 25% of the game you'd be without supply cards if towns and forts come up early.

which begs another question. You play trail cards that match previous trail card green line layout, but if you do not have one that matches, or a supply card to play, you draw and end your turn. since Town and Fort cards can have the trail meet at any location on the card, and Town and Fort cards ARE trail cards by the backing, are you locked into playing a Town or Fort as it could logically be placed anywhere on the trail, even if you just left a town or fort and don't need to restock just then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPFace wrote:

- Only roll once

I'm glad somebody contacted them! We were confused by the river cards as well. This helps clarify at least a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Murphy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah. Seems like there is some text missing on the card. Since we are talking about fording river card. Another question...... When you roll a odd number to lose supply and you have none. The next player to your left is supposed to lose a random one. But what if no one in the party has supplies? We just ignored the roll all together. Count it as a success and kept playing more and more river cards. Kind of a loop hole on the card. This kind of saved us several times..... Is this wrong to play that way? Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
ajohns78 wrote:
which begs another question. You play trail cards that match previous trail card green line layout, but if you do not have one that matches, or a supply card to play, you draw and end your turn. since Town and Fort cards can have the trail meet at any location on the card, and Town and Fort cards ARE trail cards by the backing, are you locked into playing a Town or Fort as it could logically be placed anywhere on the trail, even if you just left a town or fort and don't need to restock just then?

I had this situation crop up over the weekend, and decided yes, Towns and Forts can link up to each other, and if you don't have any other playable Trail card in your hand, then you're forced to. Of course, the only time this is going to happen is if a Town/Fort was just played and you only have one card left in your hand, and it's a Town/Fort. It might not make thematic sense to have two Town/Forts on top of each other like that, but every Trail card played represents about 40 miles of travel -- I don't know if the trail was that densely populated in the 1850s, but it's not quite preposterous.

I dunno. That's my take. I'm sure it doesn't make much difference if you make your own ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
reugan wrote:
Yeah. Seems like there is some text missing on the card. Since we are talking about fording river card. Another question...... When you roll a odd number to lose supply and you have none. The next player to your left is supposed to lose a random one. But what if no one in the party has supplies? We just ignored the roll all together. Count it as a success and kept playing more and more river cards. Kind of a loop hole on the card. This kind of saved us several times..... Is this wrong to play that way? Any suggestions?

I think that's correct, if the only possible penalty is to lose a Supply card. I think it's supposed to represent a situation where the river isn't difficult to cross, but there's a chance that something could get lost or ruined due to a leak in the wagon. So if you don't have anything, you've got nothing to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Rose
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Did anyone figure what to do when fording the river and you are out of supply cards? It says to lose one supply card if an odd number is rolled. Do you just continue on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
Brucerose86 wrote:
Did anyone figure what to do when fording the river and you are out of supply cards? It says to lose one supply card if an odd number is rolled. Do you just continue on?

Yep. If the party is out of supply cards, river fordings have no penalty for failure (unless the card indicates that the player dies by rolling a 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.