Subject: VASSAL CrossFire Module rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

Since I’m living abroad but still wanted to try CrossFire I made a VASSAL module (read more about VASSAL here: http://vassalengine.org/)

But, I could use some help from you experienced CF players. Please have a look (and comment if you like) at the Google Doc here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZrN7tf9zFfUeF9X57ZBEIQh...

I could also need some help with the legality of this. Is there someone I can contact to get an OK to release this to the public? No actual rules are included in this module, it’s only graphics on a map. The players would have to own and enforce the rules themselves.

Is there any interest for a CF VASSAL module? All feedback/discussion is welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would interest me greatly. I own the rules but have never played them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skoll wrote:
Hi!

Since I’m living abroad but still wanted to try CrossFire I made a VASSAL module (read more about VASSAL here: http://vassalengine.org/)

But, I could use some help from you experienced CF players. Please have a look (and comment if you like) at the Google Doc here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZrN7tf9zFfUeF9X57ZBEIQh...

I could also need some help with the legality of this. Is there someone I can contact to get an OK to release this to the public? No actual rules are included in this module, it’s only graphics on a map. The players would have to own and enforce the rules themselves.

Is there any interest for a CF VASSAL module? All feedback/discussion is welcome

If it's only graphics on a map, and the graphics aren't copyrighted, no one needs to grant you permission for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:

If it's only graphics on a map, and the graphics aren't copyrighted, no one needs to grant you permission for anything.

I think you're right about that. I believe most VASSAL modules have some sort of consent from the designer/publisher, but that might be beceause they use artwork, maps, cards etc.

Still, I don't wanna step on any toes We'll see, but I'm working on this with the intention of releasing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, consent certainly wouldn't hurt, but the point is that if it's just a map and graphics, it could represent pretty much *any* miniatures tabletop - if you add Crossfire logos, or the reference cards, or the army lists, etc. to the Vassal module, you would then need permission for those.

Most other games require permission because they use an actual image of the actual gameboard, they often include images of actual copyrighted components (counters, cards, player aids, etc.), and the Vassal module itself enforces some of the rules of the game - mechanics that could potentially fall under some type of intellectual property (though usually don't).

If it's just a map and terrain graphics with nothing else - you're probably fine; but in the interest of generally accepted social courtesy, it certainly wouldn't hurt to attempt to contact the publisher to see if they have a problem with it. While you're at it, ask if it's okay to include the reference cards and/or the game's title logo as well as to name the vassal module under the title of the game.

I highly doubt that the publisher/copyright holder will have a problem with this. But if they do, well, consider respecting their wishes on the matter irrespective of whether it is legal.

I, for one, would love to have access to something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.