Subject: Starting level for various types of cards... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my Kickstarter copy over the weekend, and I'm hoping to play soon.

I get a little confused on when I can start a card at any level vs. when I have to start at Level 1. Is all of this correct?

Projects

Basic Project: Must start at Level 1; can advance to next (and only next) higher level in later turns

One-Time Project: May start at any level; discarded at end of round, so no opportunity for advancement

Group Project: May start in any role, and may select multiple roles (if available) in same round; discarded at end of round, so no opportunity for advancement

Items/Activities

Items: May start at any level; can upgrade to any higher level in later rounds

Activities: May start at any level; can upgrade to any higher level in later rounds

Pets: Must start at Level 1; must advance to next level during subsequent Upkeep phases (or lose card and suffer penalties)

Jobs

May start at any; can promote to next (and only next) level if a next-level card of the same job type is out (alternatively, a player with a job can use the Get Job action to get any job he or she can afford, regardless of current job's level)

Relationships

Must start on Level 1; may advance to next (and only next) level

Have I got all of that correct?

For those who have played the game, any tricks for helping me (and, more importantly, the people I teach this to) how to keep all that straight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a good overview. Regarding activities it is my understanding, that you do not "upgrade" them but can use them as you see fit, so for example when you acquire it as a level 3 you CAN use the same activity at any level you want.

Edit: "repeated use" of activities actually means "upgrading them" - see designer's comment below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, John is correct. You may only pay for a higher lever than you already are with items and activities you already have.

John, only thing you have to take into account is that you can only take two roles at most in a single Group Project. Other than that, I see you got it right. If you think about it, it makes sense thematically.

a Project is something you learn to do step by step, and thus you have to go through all levels. A job is something you get, and you may get promoted, but you're not going to be promoted from Janitor to CEO in a single day! But you can always switch to a different company. A relationship is also something you have to work out, start dating, then formalize the relationship, and after that you can start thinking about a family. Skipping steps here is a bad thing to do. And a pet ages naturally and you can't really control that.

Items and activities are something you acquire, and if you want to upgrade, say, your car all the way to a big one, no one is going to tell you "But you don't have a middle size car yet!". Activities are similar. Those are things you do that are mainly one-shot but repeatable. But they are going to have a noticeable effect only if you go bigger than before.

One-time projects and group projects and short-time things you do (with help of the other players in case of group projects) and then you're left with the memories of that, but you're not doing them every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Sammet
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I´m a little bit confused was about the Activity´s. On page 12 in the "3. Card Action" section the headline said "Upgrade an Atem / Repeat an Activity. The Repeat confuses me, it sounds like I can perform one action over and over again.

May a designer can clear it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When doing an activity again you may go only higher.

It's called 'Repeat an Activity' because you do the same thing that the card states (for example, you go on a Cruise). However, you need to do it at a higher level - not the same one you are in it.

referee above has stated it very accurately: Thematically, you have to go bigger for it to have a noticeable effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tezetto wrote:
The only thing I´m a little bit confused was about the Activity´s. On page 12 in the "3. Card Action" section the headline said "Upgrade an Atem / Repeat an Activity. The Repeat confuses me, it sounds like I can perform one action over and over again.

May a designer can clear it?
There have been a couple of threads about this recently. I agree that the word "Repeat" is what caused the confusion (at least for me, combined with an admittedly incomplete reading of the rules blush) but I'm not sure what would have been a better choice of word to still communicate the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.